STALLED 1991 RC36, need quick advice...

Guest StillwaterVFR

I am going to take the old girl on a multiple-thousand mile trip this summer and I might be best off replacing the petcock assembly just for good measure... what say you?

One other option that may cause starvation is a bad fuel pump. The contact points wear and this can cause the pump to stop working, allowing hardly any fuel to reach the carbs (enough for the engine to iddle, but that's all). A temporary fix is to bypass the fuel pump, the engine will run as good on just gravity feed. This once happened to me the evening before a trip and I rode the whole week on gravity feed.

You can check the contact points by removing the plastic cover on the fuel pump.

Thanks, V4 - I think I'm going to replace the petcock and fuel pump so I can just take them of the to-do list. I love this old bike and she's been good to me.

• Member Contributer

Hope this helps.

Hey Stillwater, Richfield here. Tonight is bike night at Dulono's Pizza, W. Lake St. and S. Lyndale. I'll be there; would love to meet you. I'll be on my y2k, a machine I'm trying to sell. Look me up if you can make it.

Terry

cell: 612-227-6084.

Hope this helps.

Hey Stillwater, Richfield here. Tonight is bike night at Dulono's Pizza, W. Lake St. and S. Lyndale. I'll be there; would love to meet you. I'll be on my y2k, a machine I'm trying to sell. Look me up if you can make it.

Terry

cell: 612-227-6084.

Maybe next week - I'll see if I can get a way (grilling tonight)

Final Report:

Having not had time to do anything besides open and close the gas filler and put another 350 miles on the bike the simplest theory here is likely the solution. My VFR runs exactly the way it did before, with no electrical gremlins, a full battery, no fuel delivery issues or anything else I can detect.

I have filled up 2 more times and did so with the bike on its side stand (like normal) and have done fast interstate runs, around town miles and aggressive twisties. All is well ... for now.

I'll probably still replace the parts suggested by you guys over time.

Thanks All!

• 2 months later...

Final follow - up:

Well, I decided to torture test the RC36 by repeating last year's "Two Iron Butts with a Dragon's Tail." I gassed up the bike, rode to Knoxville from Minneapolis, did 1.5 days of work there, did the Dragon 2-3 times along with 90 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway... slept 4 hours and did the 1150 miles home in one shot with only short gas stops. All interstate was 75 - 85 MPH and hot as heck. 42-53 miles per gallon, 2500 miles+.

The VFR performed perfectly - I only gassed her up on the side stand and there were no issues. Rode the twisties hard enough to get me motion-sick... especially when tailing the Dodge Viper club through the Dragon!

These machines are really unbelievable, even when they are 22 model years old...

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a great trip! There is some good riding down this way!

• 2 months later...

Time to do it again; I have put on nearly 3,500 miles since the stall in the spring and will be doing another 2500-mile run in 1.5 weeks.

So, I hope this gremlin (filling the bike while sitting on it and closing the cap in a level position) can be added to the encyclopedia of potential RC36 issues. Or, maybe a basic vacuum problem due to a clog I guess.

A new Two Iron Butts with a Dragon's Tail ---- here I come!

Archived