installing a high pipe on gen 4

• Member Contributer

Are there VFR parts that can convert my low exhaust to high? I would like to keep my can and just install a high pipe. Thanks

Chris

Oakland, Ca.

• Member Contributer

No

The OEM mufler has a flange that "mates" with the collector box using a clamp.

That is not to say it cannot be done. It means cutting off the flange and weld a custom made s-shaped pipe.

Like this:

HPIM5463-1.jpg

HPIM0448.jpg

Consider though that the OEM weighs 6+ kilo vs an aftermarket like the Akra (incl s-pipe) 1.6 kilo

So you better make a sturdy bracket since you will have to loose the OEM footrest.

• Member Contributer

No

That is not to say it cannot be done. It means cutting off the flange and weld a custom made s-shaped pipe.

Like this:

HPIM5463-1.jpg

HPIM0448.jpg

Consider though that the OEM weighs 6+ kilo vs an aftermarket like the Akra (incl s-pipe) 1.6 kilo

So you better make a sturdy bracket since you will have to loose the OEM footrest.

Thanks, I have an after Erion racing muffler I would like to keep, does anybody sell just the S bend, or would I just build one?

Chris

• Member Contributer

What about later rear wheels? Will later gen 5 wheels install on a 4th gen?

Thanks again

Chris

• Member Contributer

I'm 85.2% sure a 5th gen wheel won't be a direct swap on a 4th gen.

You could probably have someone make up a new midpipe for you. It shouldn't be too expensive.

No

Like this:

HPIM5463-1.jpg

HPIM0448.jpg

Where are the lug nuts on that rear rim??

• Member Contributer

a 5th gen wheel WILL work provided you mill out notches on mating surface of the wheel to get around the protruding bolts on the swingarm side. same goes for 6th. 3rd gen is direct swap. I only needed to replace the mid-pipe to take my 2Bro's from a low to high mount, FWIW.

• Member Contributer

BTW...

one of the advantages of using a 3rd/5th/6th wheel on a 4th gen is being able to properly mount a 180 tire instead of the 170 stock size on the 4th gen wheel.. doesn't seem like a big deal until yout try and locate 170 tires... fresh rubber in that size can be a pain to find sometimes. ugh

• Member Contributer

Where are the lug nuts on that rear rim??

Under a cover plate faking single nut :tongue:

Thanks again

Chris

The rear wheel can be fitted with persuasion. You need to notch out the mating surface on the wheel to clear the bolts on the drive hub.

Check the pics on this page here:

http://www.tireqwik.com/sssa/menu.html

• Member Contributer

...doesn't seem like a big deal until yout try and locate 170 tires... fresh rubber in that size can be a pain to find sometimes. ugh

On the other hand, I found a place a while ago that was selling Pirelli Rosso's for $150 a set with a 170 rear. Out of stock now, but at the time it was a big discount over the 180 rear package. So you might find a deal if you keep your eye's peeled.

• Member Contributer

BTW...

one of the advantages of using a 3rd/5th/6th wheel on a 4th gen is being able to properly mount a 180 tire instead of the 170 stock size on the 4th gen wheel.. doesn't seem like a big deal until yout try and locate 170 tires... fresh rubber in that size can be a pain to find sometimes. ugh

Aside from finding rubber easier are the 3 5 6 gen wheels any lighter? I do like the milled style edges of the later wheels.

I currently have Pirelli Diablo 180-55 tire in back in good condition, would the 5th gen be a wider wheel better able to accommodate this tire?

Thanks again

Chris

Oakland, Ca.

• Member Contributer

Thanks again

Chris

The rear wheel can be fitted with persuasion. You need to notch out the mating surface on the wheel to clear the bolts on the drive hub.

Check the pics on this page here:

http://www.tireqwik.com/sssa/menu.html

Thanks for the link, that doesn't look too hard, anybody got one of those wheels?

Chris

Funny story: the wheel on that tirequik site that I linked? That's MY exact wheel off my '99.

I sold it to the owner of TireQuik, Jeff Knights after I got an 8-spoker for my bike.

Then, he proceeded to mod his CBR9 to accept a SSSA and my wheel.

• Member Contributer

Aside from finding rubber easier are the 3 5 6 gen wheels any lighter? I do like the milled style edges of the later wheels.

I currently have Pirelli Diablo 180-55 tire in back in good condition, would the 5th gen be a wider wheel better able to accommodate this tire?

Thanks again

Chris

Oakland, Ca.

actually I believe the 4th is the lightest wheel.. the 4th gen wheel is a 5", whereas the other gens are all 5.5"... hence the size difference on the rubber. Why honda did that will probably always be a mystery... maybe just to save a little weight.. who knows. If you just want milled edges, just strip them.... seen it done before.

• Member Contributer

How about a LEFT side high pipe, someone had a link around here of a company that stocked various stainless couplings but I can't find the link.

I think I may be getting a little closer to putting some body work back on this 96 I have. I like the Suzuki tail and rear subframe and also like the idea of painting the engine with some high heat satin black.

Archived