3rd Gen Engine Problems

Guest Toddd

Guest Toddd

Hey guys,

When I took my bike out of storage this year it ran great. Fired right up and rode fine.

But recently, after about 1000 miles this season, its missing a lot when I roll on the throttle. It is missing to the point it almost dies. At first I thought it was dirty jets, but it seems to happen mostly when the engine is hot after I down shift. As soon as I upshift the missing/sputtering stops. This has me stumped. It is also accompanied with the occasional backfire.

I will be changing the spark plugs soon, thinking it might be an ignition issue. Does anybody have any other thoughts?

• Member Contributer

hi..

My first port of call would be to look at your rectifier and its wiring. They can start to become intermittent when it starts to fail.

Also checking the 3 pin plug from your generator to the right of engine mounted on frame. That might suffer also, as it is part of the charging/ignition circuit.

I got a new r/r last year. It was a Rick's. This is a different symptom than what I experienced with my old fried r/r. As for airflow, nothing has changed. It has a yoshi slip-on, but has run great with it the last two years. I haven't looked at my air filter in a while, could that being a mess cause this? Running rich seems possible. Im gonna tear it down this weekend for the plugs, so I'll have a look at what I can.

The down shift thing is still a huge puzzlement, if it were a fuel, air, or ignition problem, why would a sudden upshift cure the problem?

• Member Contributer

next guess would be a wiring and coils check.... then watch the spark plugs havent rattled loose.

Just because an R/R is a year old does not mean its still OK. I change mine yearly with high usage...always had Honda R/R's, pattern ones have never lasted as long for me.

I have had your problems showing up because of a failing R/R before.. open the throttle and she dies under load. Then i was left with total failure.. usually when hot.... only for things to get back to normal when cold....

Not forgetting good earth checks.

Sudden up shifts may be enough to reconnect a loose wire?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so pardon my ignorance and lack of Shop manual, but what is the switch attached via spring to the shift lever?

As i noticed that my engine would bog and nearly die in neutral while manually engauging the switch, i disconnected it and went for a ride.

The bike ran perfecctly, whithout a single miss or stall. Is it some kind of neutral kill switch that has gone bad?

• Member Contributer

Need a pic really...

sounds to me a like simple lever return spring that doesn't do anything really except just that....

Would be really unlucky if you had neutral problems.. thats as rare as rocking horse sweat...but u never know

If its a loose wire or one of the 3 kill switches that stop you starting when in gear, with the side stand down or clutch lever is not engaged am sure it will rear its ugly head at the most inappropriate of times!

The neutral plug is on the bottom right rear of engine block. A simple plug in job up to 2 pin connector next to 3 yellow pin connector right side of engine. There is a 3 pin connector there as well.

Clutch switch is on the Lever....cheap to replace if gone.

Side stand switch can simply be unplugged, located on side stand up under seat next to fuel pump plug i think... they do go sometimes as its a moving part...

Leave it as it is now.. working.. see what happens... if you dare.

That switch appears to be in the clutch handlebar assembly, which is not what I am referring to. This is a spring going from the shift lever to a switch in the left side case directly above (~3inches) the shift lever. This does not look to be a stock item...note ziptie fastener. Quickshift gizmo maybe?

With it disconnected, I just did about 40miles without a single hick-up, maybe even the best it has ever run for me.

Pics

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ha..

no its not stock!

Looks like a caveman quick shifter????

Would be good to see where it connects to.

The engine earth to the speedo looks suspect to me for starters. i always earth to frame.

Might have been adapted for a disabled rider???

Might have been adapted for a disabled rider???

Don't know about that, but it certainly disabled the bike. Well I guess the $150+ I just spent on battery, plugs, and r/r wasn't needed, but she probably feels refreshed.

• Member Contributer

battery and plugs.. thats a waste, ive never lost a battery over an R/R... Unlucky..

hope they replace 20 yr old originals .lol

First look would have spotted that MOD on the gear shifter right away!

Find out what that mod did.. it shouldent be hard to trace it.

Would be interesting if it was a quick shifter that did work at some time!

It might simply replace one of the cut out switches?

Looking again am gonna guess an ignition cut out switch for down shifts... a rider with no clutch lever? Something not right...?

• Member Contributer

is the original wiring for the neutral safety switch still attached to the back of the nut where the kickstand is? If not that's probably the issue. I've seen this a lot on older rides. The spring breaks inside the housing, and people think they can 'mod it to work'. Trace the wire like you said you were going to do, take off the 'extra pieces', then find the original wiring. Cut them and butt them back together for a continuous loop. this will solve your issues and save you money. Just don't forget that you can still start it while it's in gear and you're golden ;-) GL and let us know what you find.

Archived