Just got my 2010 VFR1200 and I have a few questions.

• Member Contributer

Hey Everyone,

Just got my vfr1200f with side bags and so far I really enjoy the bike. I have a few questions on what all should I do to improve the ride and bike to better fit me.

- 1. Should I go with Heli Bars or is there another alternative that is better for a 6'2" guy?

- 2. Who makes the best kit to lower the pegs?

- 3. Which windscreen provides the most protection?

- 4. I have already ordered the Bazzaz bomb kit for 1st and 2nd gear, but what else should I do to improve performance and enhance the over all ride?

- 5. Any other ideas please leave them.

Thank you,

Gregory T.

Dalton, GA

post-24394-0-01177100-1331257596.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hello Greg, welcome to VFRD from across the pond :tour:

Do post up a picture, w/o it you donot exist......

I'd ride it first a while "as is" before forking out $$$. Read up what others have posted here already.

I test rode the 1200 and find performance more than adequate. Depending on your riding style, I can imagine certial tyres suit best.

• Member Contributer

I will post some pics tonight. Went to get one off my phone and all I have are pics of my old bikes.

I have about 300 miles on it so far, and I know I want to get these areas worked on. I just want to make sure what I do to the bike, will be an improvement, and not be a waste of money.

Thanks

I guess I should check my VFRd updates before I start responding to Craigslist posts... I've been texting and emailing you about this bike this evening.

I am only 6 foot and the Heli Bars was my first purchase for the 1200F. If you go that route dont get the new wind screen untill you ride it with the new bars. I like getting a little lift at hwy speeds from the stock wind screen. As long as its not turbulent a little nice clean air flow is great.

• Member Contributer

I am only 6 foot and the Heli Bars was my first purchase for the 1200F. If you go that route dont get the new wind screen untill you ride it with the new bars. I like getting a little lift at hwy speeds from the stock wind screen. As long as its not turbulent a little nice clean air flow is great.

How do they look on the bike, and did you have any troubles with the fitment of them? I've read a few reviews that said they had trouble fitting them. Also they don't look that good in some of the pictures, is that just in the pictures or do they look that much worse than the stock risers?

I'm 6'2'' and most of it is torso so even with the heli bars I might want something to adjust the wind a little. I am thinking of the honda adjustable wind screen piece. Any one used it? If so what can you tell me about it?

Thank you,

Gregory T .

At 6'1, the Heli-bars and OEM windscreen extension are perfect for me. I prefer the look of the stock windscreen on its own but the extension works a charm and I am now quite used to the look. As for the Heli-bars, the tolerances on the DCT version are 1/8" at all points and the instructions, coupled with the advice on this forum make it easy to install first time within those tolerances. IMHO - they are a quality product, look almost as good as the stock risers, do not impact handling and, most importantly, take a huge amount of strain off the writs.

• Member Contributer

At 6'1, the Heli-bars and OEM windscreen extension are perfect for me. I prefer the look of the stock windscreen on its own but the extension works a charm and I am now quite used to the look. As for the Heli-bars, the tolerances on the DCT version are 1/8" at all points and the instructions, coupled with the advice on this forum make it easy to install first time within those tolerances. IMHO - they are a quality product, look almost as good as the stock risers, do not impact handling and, most importantly, take a huge amount of strain off the writs.

Thanks that answers two of my main questions and I will be ordering both soon.

• Member Contributer

How adjustable is the honda wind screen extension. When I read about it it says something like 3 position and other adjustments. What does that really mean, and how far can it extend over the stock windscreen?

Thanks

The 3 positions refers to the adjustable deflection angle rather than actual height difference and it is not an "on the fly" adjustment - it requires an allan wrench to do. It sits a couple of inches above the stock windscreen in your visual range (if you are leaning over the tank) but only a little bit in your sight lines when sitting up. I have mine at the maximum deflection and I haven't tried either of the lower positions as this one takes the majority of the wind off my head (again, 6'1) but still lets plenty of fresh air past and gives lots of wind lift on my body at speed, further reducing wrist strain. There is no wind buffeting per se but my Arai gets lots more air than behind my Sabre's full fairing so it is noisier than I have been used to for the last 1/4 century - but ear plugs solves that issue.

Hi Greg,

I got my VFR1200F in April of 2010. (yes one of those that paid alot..lol). I quickly put the Heli-Bars on and for me at least, are a "must-have". The instructions were straightforward and the install wasn't too hard. I also pondered getting the Honda extended windscreen but opted for the Laminar Lip. It has always stayed very secure and does it's job yet can easily be removed if needed. I also installed a Throttlemiester throttle lock which works good but I don't use it very often. The one thing I have put on my bike that makes the most awesome difference in comfort is ironically the cheapest. I put one of these Cramp Buster things on the throttle that allows just the bottom of your hand to apply the downward pressure and it makes all the difference in the world for me. I took it off one day and rode a few miles and was like OMgosh!! The thing only costs $10.95 with free shipping and I would recommend it to anyone. Something about not having to grip the throttle with such force makes it so much more comfortable for me to ride.

Hope this helps and congrats on your new ride!

• Member Contributer
Hi Greg, I got my VFR1200F in April of 2010. (yes one of those that paid alot..lol). I quickly put the Heli-Bars on and for me at least, are a "must-have". The instructions were straightforward and the install wasn't too hard. I also pondered getting the Honda extended windscreen but opted for the Laminar Lip. It has always stayed very secure and does it's job yet can easily be removed if needed. I also installed a Throttlemiester throttle lock which works good but I don't use it very often. The one thing I have put on my bike that makes the most awesome difference in comfort is ironically the cheapest. I put one of these Cramp Buster things on the throttle that allows just the bottom of your hand to apply the downward pressure and it makes all the difference in the world for me. I took it off one day and rode a few miles and was like OMgosh!! The thing only costs $10.95 with free shipping and I would recommend it to anyone. Something about not having to grip the throttle with such force makes it so much more comfortable for me to ride. Hope this helps and congrats on your new ride!

Luckily I waited until the price was lower than I could resist, and now I have my vfr1200.

I just ordered the crampbuster. I've used them in the past and they do come in handy.

I also just ordered my heli bars, and cant wait to get them installed. Hopefully they look and feel as good as I hope.

Does the Laminar lip push the air up and over while you ride? Is there any bad wind buffeting? Also how does it hold up under speed? I like the look and the price, but don't want the lip hitting me in the head if I'm travelling at a high rate of speed.

Thanks again for the information.

• Member Contributer

After finding a few reviews, I went ahead and ordered the Laminar lip. Decided if I want to go fast I can always take it off. Also for a $100 dollars, it's worth the try.

Thanks.

Now I just need to figure out what to get to lower the pegs, which levers I want, should I get the K&N, and if I really want the bazzaz programmer with the traction control.

Any Other ideas let me know.

I ordered a Two Stage Frame Caps Dress Up Kit off ebay as well. We'll see how that makes the bike look as well

Here in a week or so hopefully I can have picks of what my vfr looks like finished.

Thanks for the help so far.

• Member Contributer

The MRA X-Creen is very effective, has more adjustment, is very high quality (German) and imo looks better than the Honda spoiler. It also adjusts and locks without any tools.

Might be worth a look.

http://www.twistedth...oductview/6777/

Peter

Edited to add, oops - too late :)

Thanks for the information. I looked at those and thought about buying it, but I don't really like the look. If the Laminar doesn't work for me then I might end up looking at it next.

• Member Contributer

I got the bazzaz Z-bomb in to day and the laminar lip, and wasted no time installing both of them. I can't wait to test both of them tomorrow.

I will post picks tomorrow when I can get them in the day light.

The Heli Bars should be here in the next few days, and will be on by Saturday night. Also the Cramp Buster, but it just clips on. I can't wait to get the first stage of this bike finished.

I did a little ride Sunday, and had a chance to open the bike up a little from a stand still, and it is really a rocket. I could feel the little lurch or what ever you want to call it in first. The ridden on the same road on both my old 2007 FZ1 and 2008 Concourse 14, and its amazing how much the VFR1200 feels to rocket in comparison. I also made a point to do a little harder braking seeing I was on a road all by myself, and the brakes really are almost too good. The bike can just stop so hard, and you don't feel the pulse in the ABS nearly as bad as my concourse 14 or my BMW R1100RTP.

All that being said I am going to take a ride tomorrow over the same road, and see how the bazzaz z-bomb, and the new laminar lip work. Also I'm going to take a trip over Forte Mountain, this Sunday if the weather permits. Then I have a friend coming up on the 22nd-24th for a trip to the Dragons Tail, and around NC. Hopefully I'll have a lot more to say after these trips.

Thanks again for all the input and ideas. I will have more questions soon I am sure.

• Member Contributer

Also, it might take me a little while to 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th, but if what I read is true, I will get used to it and prefer it. I could just put a piece of tape of the gear indicator and go to what I used to do and just keep count in my head.

A few pics of my old bikes, that lead to the VFR1200. There have been a lot more bikes than these two, but these are the bikes that made me come to the vfr1200. I wanted a little more comfort than the FZ1, and something a little smaller than the Concourse 14. I'll know if I made the right choice in a few thousand miles, but so far it rides and looks like what I wanted.

post-24394-0-71906600-1331787017.jpg

post-24394-0-95469700-1331787114.jpg

post-24394-0-80645900-1331787373.jpg

• Member Contributer

I didn't get a chance to get pictures of the bike in the daylight but here are some of it in the garage. Installed so far are, laminar lip, bazzaz z-bomb, cramp buster, and dress kit to cover open nuts.

Heli Bars are still on the way. I got an email from usps that they sent them to the wrong location. Hopefully they'll be here by Saturday so I can install them on Sunday.

post-24394-0-51572000-1331857953.jpg

post-24394-0-50980900-1331857970.jpg

post-24394-0-05832700-1331857980.jpg

post-24394-0-08004600-1331857989.jpg

• Member Contributer

Another question I have that hopefully someone can answer.

- How much can I adjust the shift lever?

- I have a hard time getting my foot under it, and it has cause a few shifting errors going mostly into second. First to second just comes too quickly for me to squeeze my foot under the lever.

- Also Does anyone make a good Peg Lowering kit that uses the stock pegs?

- I like the feel of stock pegs, and I don't want to switch to plain metal pegs.

grandall1972 - Searching threads I came across this post. Congrats on the new bike but I gotta tell you that now I'm really confused. Was literally just about to plunk down $15k for a concours and saw the VFR1200. It cost less so I dont know what to do. I come from a pure sportbike past as it seems you do too. However, you had a connie and got rid of it for the VFR....why? What about the connie didn't you like that made you want the vfr? Any advice or light you can shed on this i would appreciate.

Anyone please feel free to chime in.

• Member Contributer

grandall1972 - Searching threads I came across this post. Congrats on the new bike but I gotta tell you that now I'm really confused. Was literally just about to plunk down $15k for a concours and saw the VFR1200. It cost less so I dont know what to do. I come from a pure sportbike past as it seems you do too. However, you had a connie and got rid of it for the VFR....why? What about the connie didn't you like that made you want the vfr? Any advice or light you can shed on this i would appreciate.

I loved the Connie, but it is a very large bike. Though it really doesn't feel that way. I had the 2008 which did not have all the new features they added in 2010. Also it suffered from too much heat coming onto the legs. How ever that has been resolved in the 2010 and newer models.

My main reason for getting the VFR1200 over the Concourse is that I wanted something in between the Concourse and the FZ1. The VFR1200 for me fits pretty much in the middle of the two. Also I didn't want to get the same bike just in a newer model.

Having ridden both, but not enough to fully appreciate the VFR1200 yet, I would have to say the Concourse is a little more comfortable for me on long rides and the vfr1200 is more fun around the bends. In a straight line the Concourse smooth, silky and very fast The VFR1200 is a little less smooth, and silky, but is a rocket.

Easier to talk about in person, kind of a lot of thoughts running through my head. Basically if you want a pure sport touring bike go with the Concourse, and if you want a bike with a little more sport along with plenty of touring capability go with the vfr1200.

I'm just getting to know my VFR1200 and I love it. For $10,800 out the door with the side bags, it is worth getting it over the Concourse. You can add everything that Concourse has and more to the VFR1200 and still have some money left over.

I know I'm dragging on, but so far here would be my Pros for each bike. Any specific questions feel free to ask.

Concourse = Better bags and they come standard, Electric Windscreen, Heated grips Standard, slightly more comfortable, longer fuel range, and better touring ability.

VFR1200 = Not as bulky, better handling, more power, cost less (now), better looking to me, a little more sport with plenty of touring for the longer ride, and it has the Honda V4 engine.

• Member Contributer

I also come from sportbikes and owned a 08 Concourse. I really don't have anything negative to say about it. As grandall, I was looking for a smaller bike with some comfort. Once the prices dropped on the 1200 I pulled the trigger. The issue is the 1200 has been sitting in the garage for the last two months waiting on the snow to melt. Hopefully soon I can ride it. If you have any specific questions on the C14 don't hesitate to ask.

• Member Contributer

The mounting point looks similar to the one for the 6th gen. Has anyone taken measuremnts to know if the BLS blocks, and some of the other 6th gen tricks, like Buell Uly pegs, will work?

Archived