Just got my 2010 VFR1200 and I have a few questions.

Hey grandall, though late to this thread I want to add one thing: really consider a custom foam upgrade from Sargent. I'm 6'1, was rather miserable on the bike for the first 600 miles, and the new seat cured all that ailed me. I decided not to get heli bars and I sit deeper in the saddle for less buffeting. The flat profile is a bonus in that I slide forward less and the material is quite grippy. It's pricey ($375 or so), but it's a million times better in my opinion. Mandatory pic:

IMG_3686.jpg

• Member Contributer

I like the look of the sargent seats but for $80 more I can just order a complete Corbin seat. Then I would still have my factory seat to go with the bike. Also I don't think I want to be any closer to the pegs. I am already thinking about lowering them, but I don't want to because I don't want to mess the performance up.

Also I just got finished installing the Heli bars last night. Thanks for the help on the install. Heli bars directions were almost perfect, one little glitch, but I got it all figured out. I may still need to do a little adjusting on the brake, because right now it is about a full inch away from the throttle body. Other than that everything went together well.

post-24394-0-26854600-1332090493.jpg

just finished a helibar install on my dct. The throttle cables caused me a problem. After full lock a couple of times the cables would work against the center of the frame. It caused the cables to loop after side to side a few times and when full right lock the throttle would not return correctly (high rpm on blip.) A couple of black tie wraps around the cables where they exit from under the tank keeping them close to the other line (brake line or wiring) and all is good. Not sure I'll keep them though. Slightly more comfortable, but not as purty. Wife will not ride so I doubt I will be doing long touring is in store for me. So I have mixed feelings.

• Member Contributer

I've been riding today a little with the Heli Bars and after riding I can definitely tell a difference. They are more comfortable the longer I ride. The stock bars had my wrist bothered after about 15 minutes and the Heli bars just felt comfortable the whole ride. Not perfect, but a much needed improvement.

I will keep and eye on the throttle cables, I wouldn't want the throttle hanging at all on the bike. I'm going to take a trip to The Tail of The Dragon next weekend, so I'll have a lot more to report about the bike.

Anything else I need to do before I go, or need to check please let me know.

One question Take a look at my clutch reservoir, should I add any if it looks that low when it is leaned over? When it is sitting upright it looks pretty good, but I just want to make sure. Both bike I looked at before I purchased the VFR looked like this , and the dealer said that's what they are supposed to look like. I'm just not sure.

Thanks again

post-24394-0-18056800-1332115316.jpg

post-24394-0-24952800-1332115324.jpg

post-24394-0-99670100-1332115327.jpg

post-24394-0-72500200-1332115334.jpg

My reservoir does the same thing. Don't know if its normal, but mine is the same.

On a different note, what are your thoughts on that Laminar Lip? My 6th Gen has wind protection that is perfect for me, but this 7th has the wind hitting me at about the center of my torso. What does this Lip do for you?

• Member Contributer

My reservoir does the same thing. Don't know if its normal, but mine is the same.

On a different note, what are your thoughts on that Laminar Lip? My 6th Gen has wind protection that is perfect for me, but this 7th has the wind hitting me at about the center of my torso. What does this Lip do for you?

I wouldn't say the Laminar lip has resolved all the air issues I had, but it does put the air just high enough that I'm not nearly as bothered by the wind. It would be nice if it was wider, but the windscreen would have to be wider as well. Over all though I do like it, and will use it until I find something I know will be a vast improvement. I'm not sold on any of the windscreen replacements.

Thanks for the info on your reservoir.

• Member Contributer

Another Question,

- How should I adjust the shift lever on the VFR?

- I need a little more room to more easily get my foot under the lever.

- Should I adjust the linkage to between the lever and trans, or take the actual shifter off where it attaches to the trans and turn it up a little for more room?

Thanks,

Grandall writes:

"I will keep and eye on the throttle cables, I wouldn't want the throttle hanging at all on the bike. I'm going to take a trip to The Tail of The Dragon next weekend, so I'll have a lot more to report about the bike".

I don't think you'll have the same cable dramas....The DCT has the throttle cables going under the front brake lever whereas on the manual bike the cables are routed above the lever. I did find on my DCT that the cables are a little difficult to get correct after fitting the Helibars but I'm happy with them now. The cables tend to pull fairly tight on full left lock and as "Jugornot" mentions, they also loop a bit on right lock if not tied to the solid brake line where they go under the tank..! Just a bit of twiddling needed to get them right. I dare say you won't have the same issue.

Cheers,

Smithy.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Smithy

Yeah I hope I don't have any problems, because I really like the heli bars so far. I'll have a lot more answers when I get back from my trip this weekend.

Archived