I Bought a PA - MC ramp lift for $99.00 & WHAT A PAIN IN THE A.. **

Gerrys02800

• Member Contributer

Went to the MC show in Edmonton on Saturday and priced out some lift's there. All in the $800-$1200.00 range so this morning I went to Princess Auto to see if their lift was back on sale from $599.99 to $450.00.

The young gent said no and the only one he had was the floor model. But, the unit had only the air/hyd pump missing from it as they gave it to some one for warranty. He added another pump was on order but it was back ordered. ( waiting for 6 weeks already). I ask him to show me, we walk to the back, and there it sits... looks like the Harbour Freight lift. His boss is there, and listens to us chatter and then tells me that the unti is missing nothing but the pump, its got scratch's all over it because the staff use it as a table to fix items etc etc.

Head guy: You want to buy it?

Me: Uuuuuuhhhhh how much ?

HG: it list for 599.00, sale price is about $450, and we can go over the parts to show you its missing nothing but the pump, say, final sale.. walk out right now...$99.99 and tax

Me: Where do I back my truck up to ?

Photos of the unit loaded in the truck...... all I need now.... is the pump. Everything else is there. Any one have some Ideas before I go to work on Monday?

Thanks in advance.

post-19341-0-48593900-1326673588.jpg

post-19341-0-64286500-1326673608.jpg

post-19341-0-32030900-1326673633.jpg

post-19341-0-89647500-1326673634.jpg

• Member Contributer

The ramp and the scissor part alone for $100.00 is a deal all by itself. Its the air over hydraulic style that is missing. I am looking at the Harbour freight / Pricess parts breakdowns... they look close but harbours seems to be a foot pump only. The guys said that the pump was going to be a while and to be honest, I was so excited and wanted to get out of there before they changed their minds that I forgot to ask how much the pump is. So, I figured I would post up the question, just in case anyone here had a unit that failed and had to replace it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Update:

located the correct pump and on route. Should have by Tuesday next week.

Pump $99.00

Freight $ 25.00

Keep you posted...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Lets start with pump #1 ( brought in from Regina and only paid for this unit w/ freight ) after it arrives. take it my work shop where I have the lift parked. they guys in the shop help out as they are looking to buy one them sleves and they want to see how the air over hyd system works. Pump #1 does not work, we bleed it, add some hyd fluid, it begins to life... then stops... lift slowly lowers. after that.. nothing. we continue to the bleed it as per instruction and phone calls to the tech line..... nothing.

Pump # 2 - Vancouver BC - no work

Pump # 3 - Hamilton - no work

Pump # 4 - London Ont - pooooched

The mgr at the Edm store says bring the ramp down here and lets see what we can do. I bring it down and they tinker with it for 6 days. They have a PAL Hyd center who take a look at it, the final verdict as told to me. " Its crap chinise equipment, we have had about 7 pumps come in over the last 2 weeks, all from new units bought in the last 3 months, we believe its a bad batch of goods and we have more *new* ones on the way. The Manager refunds me what I paid of the initial purchase of the pump, the freight etc and says I can keep the pump to tinker with and when the new ones show up... in 3 months, I can come get a new pump.

Talking to the kid at the counter I ask " Do you have any more lifts in stock"?

His reply " we have 4, but because of the problems, we are sending them to the main ware house, its a buyer beware thing"

Me " buyer beware??, your telling me that the product you sell, for $600.00 is a buyer beware thing?"

Him " Its Chinese crap"

Me " Good to know your store policy, thanks for the refund and call me when the top notch pump walks in the door"

So, I brought the lift back to the shop and will have the hyd guys in my shop have fun and rip the pump a part. They where going to refund me what I paid for the ramp, but I said no. I could not build the ramp or the scissor lift for the $99.99 I paid for it.

I PM'd BR as I was reading 1 of his maint threads and looked at the Harbour F lift, sent him some photos and its like the PA lift and HF has just the foot pump in stock for $54.00. So, for now I am just going to pop a few asprin and get ready to change my sprockets/chain on the floor.....

A few photos of it working and the pump working for a few min

post-19341-0-14918400-1329484303.jpg

post-19341-0-74330400-1329484304.jpg

post-19341-0-05884800-1329484306.jpg

• Member Contributer

So whats wrong with ya center stand, its not like the floors frozen ...................... right? :tongue:

Goodluck G, maybe your guys will turn the lemon into lemonade.

• Member Contributer

So whats wrong with ya center stand, its not like the floors frozen ...................... right? :tongue:

Goodluck G, maybe your guys will turn the lemon into lemonade.

Aussie !!!!!!!!!!

No lemons here at all... Like I mentioned, all the steel to buy, then add the fab time to build it. For the lift... $99.99 still falls into the "deal of the year" catagory for me. Not happy about getting 4 pumps that do not work, but I feel sorry for any guy/woman that buys the faulty units, drags it home, spends a few hours to put it together then go thru the time I did. Thats would suck big time. Mine was put together already. So, its less painfull to me.

Last resort, I can buy it from HF, get that unit sent down, corss the border and pick it up. Its not like I can not work on the bike without it.

Keep you posted

• Member Contributer

"So, I brought the lift back to the shop and will have the hyd guys in my shop have fun and rip the pump a part".

This was the part I was referring to, no way i'd return the lift itself. If your guys are serious I bet they could get that thing to work so well you could enter it into Punkin chunkin.

Dont try and cross the border G, you've heard what they do to Canadians down here haven't ya ....... just look at my avatar, that used to be a Kanuuk :huh:

Archived