8000 Mile Mtce Service - How Expensive?

anbark22

I just received a quote from my local Honda dealer for the 8000 mile service. They quoted 4 hours labor (@ $130.00 per hour) plus parts and supplies. That's a minimum of $520.00 just for labor. Ouch!! The service manual calls for inspections only (no valves) and replacement of the oil, filter and clutch filter (DCT).

Any thoughts, comments or experiences on this matter?

Thank you,

anbark22

• Forum CEO

My thoughts are that you would be wasting money for something you can do yourself, those inspections can be done in less than 4 hours and at most replacing brake pads and oil are job you can do your self for $100 parts or so? $500 for basically not much work and with parts on top of that - is not worth it in my opinion. I can see if your a busy man and don't have the facilities to do such a job but certainly that work can be done cheaper by a competitor, a smaller shop or another dealer for much less. Jacksonville FL there are a few members of this site from there that might even be willing to help you do the job yourself, garage space or tools on loan? This is what this site is for, mutual help, and perhaps find a buddy to ride with on those summer days. I know dealers are not all bad but that quote for the work done is just not what I would pay for what the service manual calls for? I would ask for an itemized work order first just to see how they justify that? I know apex sports here in my town does not charge that much for simple work, maybe for a valve adjustment - for which it would be justified cause I just did that job myself and $500 would be reasonable for a pro to do a valve inspection on a vfr1200, oil change and brake pads NO!

• 2 months later...

I just received a quote from my local Honda dealer for the 8000 mile service. They quoted 4 hours labor (@ $130.00 per hour) plus parts and supplies. That's a minimum of $520.00 just for labor. Ouch!! The service manual calls for inspections only (no valves) and replacement of the oil, filter and clutch filter (DCT).

Any thoughts, comments or experiences on this matter?

Thank you,

anbark22

Let me guess. Honda of Jacksonville gave you this quote? Save the money and change your own oil. No special tools required. It's on my list of things to do this weekend. I'm well over the 5 year mark and I'll be doing the coolant and brake fluid as well.

I found out the VFR 1200 is a quit an easy bike to work on, but it's a learning process. The first time it took me more than 2 hours just to take the fairings off (I didn't want to damage anything). Now I can change the airfilter within half an hour. Once you get to know your bike, it's fun too. One of the advantages of the PGM-FI unit, if you forget something (for example to connect a plug), it will generate an errorcode on your dash and this way the fault is easy to detect. Have fun!

Archived