Stop with the worry, stop with the stress....Just order yourself a VFRNess!

Oh6PearlVFR

• Member Contributer

Just wanted to thank Tightwad and everyone else for their help in getting me the information I needed to fix my electrical issues.

Symptoms on my 06:

Dead Battery

Low Voltage with new battery

30 amp fuse browning and smelly not good

Not able to maintain a good charge

HID headlights - low beams worked - high beams shut off a low beam (ballast closed due to inadequate voltage)

Resolution:

VFRness installed with Accessory Fuse box

Rewired grips and seat through accessory fuse box (dealer ran them all over the place)

Results:

So far it's perfect!! 12.6 cold crank, 13.5 at idle, 14.5-14.7 at 5,000 RPM and with brights on

I'd highly reccomend the ness to anyone having trouble. Josh has been more than helpful and gone above and beyond. The craftsmanship of the VFRness is above any high expectations I had (based on everyones praise prior to me). He has been more than responsive and I really appreciate his help getting me back up and running!

Project continues:

Now that I'm a basic VFR electrician I'm still going to continue rewiring and beefing up my stock setup. I think I'm going to run my HID lowbeams through my highbeam wiring harness. Run the High beams to the fusebox and relay with an added switch. I could fix with Josh's voltage latch, but I think I am going to give this a whirl. This would allow me to start the bike with no lights and then switch on my low beams using the high beam switch.

I still need to complete trouble shooting my hot grips. I think I may have a short in the wires somewhere but won't know until I complete the install on the fuse box.

Thanks again to everyone. I feel much better knowing I'm not riding on a 30amp frying pan!

• Member Contributer

Yes, I put a VFRness on my 2007 earlier this year, still has original battery and no apparent problems. I like the placement of the volt meter. What kind is it and is it on a switched circuit off the fuse panel? I've got the fuse panel but haven't installed it yet. My Elka shock remote resevoir is in the place for the fuse panel. Must look into moving that this winter.

• Member Contributer

thanks, its a bit of a pain to keep an eye on but rather convenient to run right there without too much fabrication.

I ordered it from Joe-Florida off Ebay

hooked negative to the battery and ran pos to the fuse accessory panel

thanks, its a bit of a pain to keep an eye on but rather convenient to run right there without too much fabrication.

I ordered it from Joe-Florida off Ebay

hooked negative to the battery and ran pos to the fuse accessory panel

Glad it worked out and fixed your issues!

I didn't understand what you were thinking on your lights before. I have a better suggestion. You can order from my site a conversion kit to allow the Latching relay I sell to be used in the place of the original low beam relay. This would leave all light functions the same except the HID wouldn't fire until the bike is started.

That meter isn't waterproof by the way, I used one similar for a couple years in a less exposed spot...then on a trip it started reading in the 20+ volt range and freaked me out.

• Member Contributer

that's a good idea for the latch relay

I have a piece of plastic that is going over the opening (small lexan) so its better protected

just have to file the plastic down smooth first!

Archived