Oxford Heated Grips....any advice?

91rc

• Member Contributer

Just purchased a set of oxford heated sport grips and will be installing soon. Does anyone have any advice about the install or use of these? I have heard reports of the automatic shut-off cutting in and out when using a relay. Any tips appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I run a set on my little 125 winter bike, connected straight to the battery without a relay. They do cut off automatically when the battery voltage drops but this should not be a problem on the VFR as it has a far higher alternator output.

• Member Contributer

If the supply to the switching contacts of the relay come direct from the battery through a fuse you shouldn't suffer much trouble with low voltage. Avoid picking up your supply from anywhere that runs through the ignition switch, anywhere from1-1.5 volts drop across the switch.

• Member Contributer

ive had them now for 2 years and i love them . i have them conneted directly to the batterie and they do shut off automaticly if left on .

also i used the glue that came with the grips and they havent moved in 2 years

• Member Contributer

ive had them now for 2 years and i love them . i have them conneted directly to the batterie and they do shut off automaticly if left on .

also i used the glue that came with the grips and they havent moved in 2 years

Thanks. What type of gloves do you use, and do the backs of your hands still suffer?

• Member Contributer

Run them off the fuse feeding the cooling fans. Highly unlikely to be on at the same time.

Howdy,

Just a counter piont. I do not have Oxfords, but enjoy using my Hot Grips in the rain.

I would not want them wired to my cooling fans if I were riding in city type traffic.

Just a thought~

Mac

• Member Contributer

Run them off the fuse feeding the cooling fans. Highly unlikely to be on at the same time.

Howdy,

Just a counter piont. I do not have Oxfords, but enjoy using my Hot Grips in the rain.

I would not want them wired to my cooling fans if I were riding in city type traffic.

Just a thought~

Mac

I understand your concern. I've had them hooked up this way for two years without any hint of trouble so I don't think it's a problem. Typically if I'm in a situation that is close to bringing the cooling fans on, the grips have long since cooked my hands and been turned off.

Caveat emptor

ive run them for several years on my cbr600 with a relay and never had them shut down. i dont trust the auto shut down bit, basically if the bttery gets too low, itll stop when it drops below 12v..

i just installed them on my vfr, finished it up yeterday and went to fill up and dropped my shiny bike in the sloped path stationary, then it slide down the hill with otu me, ffs. but ill get some photos for you

170920113708.jpg

170920113710.jpg

170920113713.jpg

30 minutes later i went to ride out the front, small sloped path, i think ive hit a wet hose and its made the front wheel slip, and down i went, i think i was about stopped.

180920113714.jpg

180920113715.jpg

180920113716.jpg

180920113717.jpg

180920113720.jpg

180920113721.jpg

Sctatches to front nose cone, scratched up lhs, snapped mirror stalk, scratched heal plate, rear pannier brackets saved the rear. i know, harden up princess, its just a few scratches, but its the first new new bike ive ever brought, and its only 6 months old... oh why didnt i buy oggies

• Member Contributer

ive run them for several years on my cbr600 with a relay and never had them shut down. i dont trust the auto shut down bit, basically if the bttery gets too low, itll stop when it drops below 12v..

i just installed them on my vfr, finished it up yeterday and went to fill up and dropped my shiny bike in the sloped path stationary, then it slide down the hill with otu me, ffs. but ill get some photos for you

Sorry to hear about the mishap......thats a terrible feeling.....I've been there. Bikes are repaired easier than bodies heal. I currently have a broken foot from an accident. But all will be well. How did you wire the grips into the vfr?

• Member Contributer

The Oxfords are great! I have mine connected to my blue sea fuse box. Very straight forward and easy installation. I wear my leather gauntlet gloves during the winter and they're sufficient. The backs of my hands are protected from the wind by the extra padding on the glove over my fingers. I've only had to use the highest setting twice in two years (Thermonuclear).

Would recommend them.

YellowFuzz

• Member Contributer

The Oxfords are great! I have mine connected to my blue sea fuse box. Very straight forward and easy installation. I wear my leather gauntlet gloves during the winter and they're sufficient. The backs of my hands are protected from the wind by the extra padding on the glove over my fingers. I've only had to use the highest setting twice in two years (Thermonuclear).

Would recommend them.

YellowFuzz

Did you have hangover on the throttle side? I installed them today, and will have to make a spacer for the bar end. I have an NEP throttle lock that limited my fitment somewhat, but all looks good. Cant wait to try them out this winter. I'm also considering some type of handguard for blocking wind. I've seen some vstrom guards fitted to the vfr that look like they would be effective.

I have generic heated grips on my XX, I miss them severely when I ride something else to work early or late in the season when it's still dark out and the temp is below freezing. No problems with the backs of the hands but when it's really cold my palms can be roasting but the wind chill still gets my fingertips when I'm on the highway any length of time (that's with Scorpion Recon gloves + liners). I don't think any heated grips will solve that issue; heated gloves would for sure but I've found that armour and warmth are on a sliding scale when it comes to motorcycle gear. The Scorpion gloves are the warmest I've found that don't skimp on the protection, heated stuff that I've seen looks like it would be useless in a crash. I'm going to try windproof/waterproof overmitts, and possibly transplant the elements from some cheap electric mitts I have laying around.

One other thing -- most if not all heated grips use resistors in the circuit when you switch to less than max, so they're always using their max rated power even on lower settings, just wasting it in the resistors instead of the grips. None of my older bikes have charging output to spare and when I need the grips the most it's usually in conditions where I also need high beams (and driving lights, and a heated jacket and a bunch of other stuff I'd like to install) so one of my upcoming projects is to replace the power level switch with a PWM unit so I'm not using any more power than I need. PWM dimmer switches with enough capacity to handle heated grips are cheap on ebay

Archived