Hard Bags for a 5th Gen

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

I have been using soft bags on my 5th gen since I started VFR touring. I have always had more than a bit of 6th and now 7th gen envy as regards the OEM racks and bags, especially as my tour escapades expanded. This is an elegant OEM solution and the PLX Givi cases with either the Givi or SW-Motech racks look to be a comparable alternative.

While my Cortech Tribag softbag setup has worked well for years, I have examined many hard bag options for the 5th. There are many possibilities but none are as elegant or have the utility IMO as what the Vtec has on the factory option list.

Fortunately there are available bags for a 5th generation. This of course does not make it simpler to choose. I wanted a rack setup that was relatively easy to take off and one that allowed the bags to be removed from the rack on tour. I was also concerned about a big ass or the breadth of the rack/bag ensemble. While I have looked at one off solutions like BMW bags or even 6th gen bags on a 99 (thanks for the pictures BR), they were something I could not easily replicate.

I upgraded to a hard bag rig this summer prior to a tour to Idaho. I elected to go with SW-Motech racks and Hepco & Becker 30 liter bags. I strongly considered SW-Motech Trax Alu Bags, 37 liter variety, like a few 6th gen users have recently posted but opted for the less expensive and slightly narrower Hepco Becker Juniors instead.

No camping gear here.

med_gallery_2144_5984_10579.jpg

Pre tour checkout ride.

med_gallery_2144_5984_12126.jpg

I was leery of bigger bags to gain more room as “Junk always expands to the room available”. I always carry more crap on tour than I should!

One of the advantages of the SW-Motech racks is that it just a simple twist with the fastener to add or for that remove the racks from the bike. Optionally, you can lock the racks to the bike.

med_gallery_2144_2760_421538.jpg

After the racks are removed only one obvious hardware piece is left. That piece attached to the rear fender thru existing holes is not that unsightly and could be taken off if it drives you crazy.

What is the width anyway? Of all the bags, I researched that had at least the capacity of my softbags (nominally 20 liters apiece) the 30 liter Hepco & Becker has the least beam.

My VFR with SW- Motech racks and 30 liter bags has beam of 38 inches. This compares to about 32 inches for my Cortech panniers. Maneuvering requires some thought if you are used to cutting through tight spaces or squeezing in to tight spaces in the garage. As regards my mirror feeler “whiskers” they are span only 36 inches even with the SW-Motech extenders. So be careful.

And for further context and a shocker for me - my Wing bags cover just 36 inches and the whiskers reach out to 43 inches. So I am pretty sure that when the mirrors clear I am ok.

My VFR with SW- Motech racks and the Cortech softbags has a 41 inch beam.

While I did not ride in the rain much the contents were dry after an evening of showers.

med_gallery_2144_5984_93398.jpg

I have been unable to find a compatible tail rack at this point but built my own for my tour. Still looking though!

med_gallery_2144_2760_1474528.jpg

As opposed to tailored rack setup like the big sport touring mounts like the ST1300, R1200RT, C-14 and indeed the 6th generation, my new racks have some obvious space between the racks and bike. Perhaps, I will setup some aux storage for miscellaneous items such as tools etc.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1589159.jpg

I mounted a tool tube as a test under the left bag but will consider other stocking stuffers in the future.

2568074940099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

My Cortech bags were top loading while these hard bags are side loading which means you need more room to pack stuff in so do not park too close.

My laptop 13inch will fit easily in a pannier. There is a modicum of security improvement over softbags but a determined thief would have no problem penetrating any motorcycle bag system I fear.

You can optionally lock the racks to the bike. Locks are included to secure the bags to the racks and to lock the bags themselves. The bags are very easy to remove from the racks.

2585363040099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Fuel mileage ranged from 38-45 mpg. This is perhaps an anecdotal dip from my softbags tours but I do not believe there is a significant difference.

Still dialing it in................need another tour!

Nice write up. I just got my 5th gen and am looking for luggage mounting options. I already have Givi E35 bags in the garage I will be using so I just need a good mounting solution. Did you consider the Givi top case rack and tubular side case racks when you were making your decision? If you did consider them why did you choose the SW Motech setup over them?

I like the option of a top case only for commuting since it would give some storage but keep the narrow profile but the SW Motech is a bit cheaper of an option.

Any mounting issues as all with the SW Motech parts?

• Member Contributer

heavy duty travel mode

evreything else mode

003.jpg

My heavy duty option.

2092112990099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

So are the Wing Racks a PITA to remove for canyon strafing? Can you still get the 28 bag option????

the big ones are 36 litres. The little ones were adverstised as the last set in the USA. they are 28 litres and called e28. I think I have ridden my bike without the bags once. I have never taken the rack off, but it would prolly take about 15 minutes to do so. I leave the little ones on 90 percent of the time, even for strafing.

img_5143.jpg

• Member Contributer

I tried to find the 28s but could not................I looked at Pelicans but ...............they did not float my boat.

In the past I have always taken off my tour rig when I got home ................but maybe I will leave these new bags on for back country local stuff.

• Member Contributer

Nice write up. I just got my 5th gen and am looking for luggage mounting options. I already have Givi E35 bags in the garage I will be using so I just need a good mounting solution. Did you consider the Givi top case rack and tubular side case racks when you were making your decision? If you did consider them why did you choose the SW Motech setup over them?

I like the option of a top case only for commuting since it would give some storage but keep the narrow profile but the SW Motech is a bit cheaper of an option.

Any mounting issues as all with the SW Motech parts?

The SW Motech racks will work with a Givi Setup you just thave to buy the adapter. I considered the Givi setup but wanted the rack quick disconnect opton.

I think the Top Case option is very practical solution but frankly despite the lane splitting apeal I do not like the looks of just the top bag. Dumb I know but what can I say! I used a Ventura rack to steady my softbags and did run it but rarely. Somebody on the board was interested so I have to get back to them on my spare Ventura system.

Cortech bags and Ventura.

med_gallery_2144_2760_7979.jpg

The SW Motech was a piece of cake to put on and will be easier yet to take off since I will only remove a few bits. Most likely I will buy some spare fastners just in case.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

It takes just a few minutes to get the racks off. When you take off the pillion grap handles you take off one third of SW Motech attachement points at the same time.

I would be easy to hide the forward attachment points as well. Even the rear attachment points on the rear fender can be taken off if it drives you crazy and really like the clean look.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1334587.jpg

Finally put on a my new PR2...............can not wait for next tour.

• Member Contributer

Not a 5th-gen, but I haven't yet seen anyone with 50-liter GiVi Maxias, yet. I've always used the E36s as panniers on the FP, with the Maxia on top (mainly used for storing helmets and gear when off the bike), but I used to run my CBR1k with two Maxias and one E36. (Maybe that's why I needed 1,000cc!)

post-362-0-79451900-1316048879_thumb.jpg

Ciao,

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I just got the same racks but with the givi adapters. I'd like to figure out a way to mount the seat cowl with the saddle bag racks in place.

My plan is to use spacers to make up the space that would be taken up by the grab rails. Thought about cutting my grab rails but since they are $80 each new I thought it better to not cut them up. I will have to cut a gap in ther seat cowl to allow passage of the sw-motech mount. For this I plan on either finding another yellow seat cowl or buying a cheap one off e-bay. No way in hell am I cutting my original mint one. I was also thinking I could fashion a flat surface on the cheap cowl to allow the strapping down of chairs, duffles and tents. I don't like the idea of a super tall box on the back, I'd like to keep the weight down low and just behind me.

Bonus vfr, did you have any problems with the left side front lower quick lock? Due to the mount being in the way I found it very hard to get the quick lock cammed all the way home. Almost thought about drilling a small hole in the saddlebag mount to allow the passage of a screwdriver. I was finally able to get it with an offset screwdriver but no way in hell am I doing it with a quarter. At least until it loosens up some.

Also do you have the older style quick locks or the new ones? It seems to me that their new quick locks the groove is to shallow to allow good purchase on the head with any type of tool. The older style had a hex head and had a much deeper groove to allow more bite with a quarter or other tool.

• Member Contributer

DFerrell.................yea all the other attachment points were a piece of cake but the lower left required contortions on my part but it did tighten up. Also I found it difficult to get my key in to unlock/pop the seat when the racks and bags are on. I may even move my tools to a different location when touring just to get faster access. I have the straight screw driver blade twist locks (new?). med_gallery_2144_2760_2104195.jpg

I figured out how to rig my old Ventura tail rack but I have not taken pictures of that setup yet.

• Member Contributer

I was thinking of having a new key made and cutting it down so that it would fit between the lock tumbler and rack.

• Member Contributer

Crap!!! I'm going to have to grind a way a portion of the rear of my corbin seat to get it to fit with the racks. Why isn't anything easy!!!! : )

• Member Contributer

Ok, got the bags on but it was rough with the corbin seat, I may have to buy low profile hex head screws to fit the grab handles so the seat can sit lower and the seat latches easier. As it was I put washers under the seat latch to get it to click in.

DSCN2637.jpg

DSCN2638.jpg

Beam is about 40", I was going to get the smaller givi bags but found these on CL for $110 each.

Overall I'm happy but I may keep an eye out for 6th gen bags and try to fab up some mounts. The 5th gen is just screaming for some low profile bags that mount up closer to the bodywork. I would have bought a 6th gen but love the gear whine and non vtec.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

As I prep for another tour of the Sierras ..........here is another update on my SW Motech/Hepco Becker bag setup.

I was able to figure out a way to jury rig my Ventura tail rack to fit with the original version of the SW Motech racks.

med_gallery_2144_2760_3932632.jpg

Under the seat.

med_gallery_2144_2760_469218.jpg

OK now I have a tail rack of sorts. Here is a check ride shot with the Ventura bag attached...........still too much crap ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

med_gallery_2144_2760_2521124.jpg

As I was acquiring some emergency quick lock fastners from Twisted Throttle, I noted some other Hepco Becker adapters for my hard bags. Frankly there are so many choices it is bewildering. When I was in school my biggest problem was "RTFQ" now sometimes I do not carefully read the options on catalog websites.

Here is a picture of the alternative adapters.

12790-425x350.jpg

Well what the heck. Here they are. You can see my first "Evo" rack adapter on the seat.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1077480.jpg

Both adapters work on the 5th gen but the "Evo" rack adapter works better in terms of on/off. The Evo adapter is perhaps more secure. The SW Motech "EVO" style is the new lower profile side rack which along with the "Contour" rack is available for the 6th gen VFR. The "Original" SW Motech side rack is only available for the venerable 5th Gen.

The net result is that I saved some weight and lost more ass................beam (maybe two inches) as we used to say in the Navy. We will see how they work out.

I finally mounted some Pelicans to mine. I'm aiming for two-up comfort, so the placement is worsened a bit by passenger space consideration, but still, it looks pretty good (they're old, beat-up bags that have seen better days) and keeps the bike relatively narrow. They're 1550s mounted to Givi tubular racks with the Happy Trails 5/8" pucks.

UxR3Sl.jpg

utUxPl.jpg

Wondering though.. has anyone with the 3-case set-up experienced any additional buffeting as a result of the baggage? My passenger especially was suffering quite a bit at anything above 68mph or so after I m ounted the Pelicans.

• Member Contributer

Mazaev............I tired mounting my Pelican from the KLR on my rear Ventura rack but my improvisations looked liked too much of a jury rigging setup so I went with the lighter soft Ventura bag.

2318807060099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I have not noticed any additional buffeting with the my SW Motech setup. I have a Race Tech suspension but do passenger work only with my Wing.

My current max loading setup.............with tent, chair, pots, pans etc etc etc etc. Bigger bags only means more crap!

med_gallery_2144_2760_3188695.jpg

When the mailman gets here, I will have my 3rd set of bags. Why 3 sets? To have small, medium and large, of course. I'll post some photos and measurements tonight.

11:24....sorry

Now here we go

Small

IMG_2032.jpg

medium

IMG_2033.jpg

large

IMG_2034.jpg

light touring

IMG_2036.jpg

maximum capacity

IMG_2035.jpg

.....and who put that up there (never do this, as it looks like butt)

IMG_2037.jpg

a comparison photo of all 3 bags

IMG_2039.jpg

Archived