6th Gen-Arrow Exhaust...Disappointing?

Guest sweetpflueg

Guest sweetpflueg

Hi Folks,

First off, I want to thank all of the contributors to this site. I just bought my first VFR last weekend, and absolutely LOVE IT! I did a quick forum search on exhausts and Arrow exhausts in particular that didn't turn up any results; I apologize in advance if this is a re-hash question/topic. I was actually a bit surprised at the muted sound of the Arrow Exhausts on the bike at low rpms. My questions are below:

-Has anyone else been disappointed by the lack of rumble in the Arrows?

-My arrow set doesn't have the snap ring at the end, do I have any options for removing the baffles without mangling the pipes and possibly ruining them?

-Does anyone have a Map for the PCIII and Arrows? I couldn't find one on the Dynojet site, and I'm not sure if it has been mapped correctly.

Again, thank you everyone for your time and knowledge, I'm really looking forward to learning alot from you! If anyone has links of other recommended VFR sites for parts/forums, please feel free to PM me. I'm getting my project list together for the winter!

post-23548-0-49011800-1312643621_thumb.j

Cheers,

Sweetpflueg

post-23548-0-07240400-1312733380_thumb.j

Can you post some pics of your exhaust, specifically the outlet part of the cans?

And are they by chance, E-legal marked cans? That is the Euro standard for noise emissions, and are quieter than other aftermarket exhausts.

The E-legal stamp is not applicable in North America, but I'm wondering if, in today's global economy, you may have gotten a set of Euro spec pipes on some sort of closeout deal, or something like that?

Where did you buy the pipes from?

Did you know they are making Harleys in India, and word is Electric motorcycle Technology is rapidly coming to your door, Whats a Redneck to do in the future you ask?

I need lots of Noise you say, or the bike just isnt worth riding, I can see that on a Harley, but not on a VFR.

Can you post some pics of your exhaust, specifically the outlet part of the cans?

And are they by chance, E-legal marked cans? That is the Euro standard for noise emissions, and are quieter than other aftermarket exhausts.

The E-legal stamp is not applicable in North America, but I'm wondering if, in today's global economy, you may have gotten a set of Euro spec pipes on some sort of closeout deal, or something like that?

Where did you buy the pipes from?

The pipes came with the bike, so I'm not sure where they are from. I will post a pic shortly

• Member Contributer

welcome to VFR's, they are really sweet bikes. if you're disappointed with the Arrow's low rpm sound just rev it more:)

I got a used set of Micron's and I'm really happy with them. quiet at idle, I don't bother my neighbors, but definitely different than an I4. And when you rev past the VTEC changeover the sound goes from aggressive to downright mean.

jim

honestly if you dont want a custom map made for YOUR bike, just throw any slip on map on the power commander. were not talking full exhausts here, there just slip ons. there really wont be that much difference. there will actually be more of a map difference from bike to bike than from slip on to slip on... if there are no quiet inserts or baffles on your arrow and you still want more noise, i would just pull the snorkel and flapper out of the air box, pick up a 98-99 header or motad or delvik header, and then get a good custom tune done.

ive got a motad and it adds a good amount of rumble.

the air box modds sound good too.

plus your gonna pick up a few ponies in the process...

:+1: On the Motad headers for a deeper sound.

Didnt make a lot of difference to the sound of my 08 but Ive heard the later 6th gens have a higher flowing cat.

Spoke to a few guys with earlier 6th Gens that say they made a big differenceI think the exhaust outlet size would be linked to the DBs that come out the back.

The outlets on my mufflers are huge and it makes a nice roar through the whole rev. range and an awesome rumble at idle and the Arrow outlets look tiny.

.post-21903-0-95390600-1312715801_thumb.j

:+1: On the Motad headers for a deeper sound.

Didnt make a lot of difference to the sound of my 08 but Ive heard the later 6th gens have a higher flowing cat.

Spoke to a few guys with earlier 6th Gens that say they made a big differenceI think the exhaust outlet size would be linked to the DBs that come out the back.

The outlets on my mufflers are huge and it makes a nice roar through the whole rev. range and an awesome rumble at idle and the Arrow outlets look tiny.

.post-21903-0-95390600-1312715801_thumb.j

Thanks for the reply; I'm thinking the same on the size of the outlet. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear the endcaps can be popped off very easily so I can yank the baffles. Guess it's time for a new exhaust for my birthday! I actually love the laser deeptones, and found a distributor that says they actually have them stateside :lobby:

post-23548-0-12194500-1312733729_thumb.j

I'm getting some feedback that these pipes are in fact E Legal from across the pond? Can anyone confirm for me? Any advice that doesn't involve a plasma cutter? :comp13: Of course the darn flash is keeping the infamous "E" from view.

post-23548-0-27278400-1312762095_thumb.j

It might be posible to modify the internals, one would have to completely remove the exhaust system, drill out all the rivits, and dismantle the cans to find out.

Are they a straight-through design? Like could you see light through them if you stared through the muffler?

Try taking a long piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and shove it through the muffler end. Does it go the full length of the muffler and them some?

Archived