swap 800 for 750?

Guest lmsmx

Guest lmsmx

Has anyone ever swapped the 800 fi motor into a fourth gen body that has a 750? He'll maybe even a 1000 fi would be cool. I want fuel injection baaaaaaad so im just wondering if anyone has done this.

• Member Contributer

IIRC, buried somewhere is a thread about someone using GSXR throttle bodies on a 750. I'm pretty sure the two engines won't swap over though.

IIRC, buried somewhere is a thread about someone using GSXR throttle bodies on a 750. I'm pretty sure the two engines won't swap over though.

I think that was flyguyeddy, not sure if he got it worked out though

Edited by mrmatt

• Member Contributer

I think that was flyguyeddy, not sure if he got it worked out though

Well, its not going to "bolt right in", but anything can be done with enough time and money. Hell, there's a guy who stuck a 4th gen engine into VFR400, so anything's possible!

I don't think it will work as the 800s have connections to the rear suspension at the rear of the engine cases. the 750's do not have this.

Having the engine cases donnected to the swing arm pivot was aprt of Honda's "controlled flex" suspension system that supposedly introduced some compliance into the bike's chassis to improve handling. when leaned over.

Beck

95 VFR

I don't think it will work as the 800s have connections to the rear suspension at the rear of the engine cases. the 750's do not have this.

This. ^^^^^^^^^

You would have to saw off the swingarm pivot casting from the 800 motor then figure out the engine mounts, and no guarantee the sprockets would line up, even after figuring out the first two items.

Better to use some other motorcycle throttle bodies and run them off a Microsquirt, using the 750 engine, but you'd be basically on your own, as I'm not aware of anyone else doing this on a Vfr.

• Member Contributer

This. ^^^^^^^^^

You would have to saw off the swingarm pivot casting from the 800 motor then figure out the engine mounts, and no guarantee the sprockets would line up, even after figuring out the first two items.

Better to use some other motorcycle throttle bodies and run them off a Microsquirt, using the 750 engine, but you'd be basically on your own, as I'm not aware of anyone else doing this on a Vfr.

Actually, Durbahn racing in Germany has adapted throttle bodies for use on the RC30 engine, which is essentially the same as the RC36 engine at least externally.

IF you have decent fabrication skills, and know how to tig weld, It would probably cheaper to modify an 800 to fit the 750 when all is said and done. I'm sure the throttle bodies themselves are well over $1000 US, and that doesn't take into account the ecu, wiring harness and dyno time to tune the beast.

Guest lmsmx

I have descent fabricating skills, but just beginners luck half of the time. It sounds like it would be something I would tackle after having a little more experience than I have now.

It also sounds like it could potentially be a money pit, which in the long run, it would be better to just build the 750 and deal with it

being carbeurated. I think that if I really knuckled down, I mean game face on and no distractions, I could make it work.

I think with that being said I will take the simpler less stressful route for now and build the engine I currently have. Thanks guys! Keep the info coming, im sure someone will eventually do it.

The rc30 heads look way closer to the 86-87 heads. However durhban made his.own intake.boots whereas I retained factory carb rubbers. However I have not finished it and it takes some machining to get it done (im.making all new throttle shafts). Been too busy to mess with it lately.

• Member Contributer

I thought the Rc30 heads used the shim under bucket style valve train like the Rc36? Don't the Rc24's use the rocker arms with locknut adjusters?

The rc30 heads look way closer to the 86-87 heads. However durhban made his.own intake.boots whereas I retained factory carb rubbers. However I have not finished it and it takes some machining to get it done (im.making all new throttle shafts). Been too busy to mess with it lately.

I thought the Rc30 heads used the shim under bucket style valve train like the Rc36? Don't the Rc24's use the rocker arms with locknut adjusters?

I dont know.if they do.or not.im just saying the rc30 heads LOOK like the 2nd gen heads. The 30 heads def dont look.like 3rd/4th gen heads thats for certain.