To Plug or not to Plug

Hi all I just had an awesome Saturday, got completely rid of my chicken strips on my Sportec M3 and M5's... But I just got a nice big screw in my rear tire. it's got 2k on it and plenty of tread, I was thinking about plugging it . But I like to do some spirited riding. I'm not sure that plugging will last.

What's the opinion out there?

Jim C

• Member Contributer

Personally I am not a fan of plugging a tire on a motorcycle for peace of mind. Here in Albuquerque none of the motorcycle dealerships will plug a tire due to liability reasons.

That being said I know there are plenty of riders here who have had success just plugging and carrying on without mishap (YMMV).

The real question you need to ask is do you want to spend the money on a new tire now versus how comfortable you feel riding around on a plugged tire? Since this is subject greatly to opinion the answer will differ with the rider. Since you are the rider in this case it should be your call. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Having had experience with external plugs only on my riding lawnmower, I don't think I would trust one for extended use on a motorcycle.

I have not had a failure, but the whole external plug system doesn't make me feel comfortable enough with it to trust my life to it.

The internal plug/patches could be another story. Never used any. It does seem like they might create a need for rebalancing.

You might want to check with an independent tire store and get their opinion, both for car tires and motorcycle tires.

Kind of off-topic, but can you buy road hazard insurance for motorcycle tires?

Dont throw it away, cause you could replace and it happen again. The black slime worms are good for about a 1000 miles just replace.

Ive not found any external that consistantly outlives the slime worms...

I have a full internal repair set up. but if there was less than 1000 miles or so, Id probably do an external.

After looking at all the posts I could find. I'm going to plug it. During the week I only commute 15-2- miles. Thanks all for the advice!

Jim C

Dont throw it away, cause you could replace and it happen again. The black slime worms are good for about a 1000 miles just replace.

Ive not found any external that consistantly outlives the slime worms...

I have a full internal repair set up. but if there was less than 1000 miles or so, Id probably do an external.

Archived