Advice on new tires

ancon

I can get a new set of Bridgstone BT016 tires installed for $250 'out the door.'

I'm mainly a work commuter and will hit the twisties 1 or 2 Sunday's a month. Can anyone comment on the mileage they've experienced on the BT016's? Is it a good enough tire for everyday use? Or am I going to be disappointed in August when I've gone 2500 miles and need new tires?

I'm running Roadsmarts right now--seem ok, but I just found this killer deal with a small shop here in Indy and I'm needing new tires soon. Thanks.

I can get a new set of Bridgstone BT016 tires installed for $250 'out the door.'

I'm mainly a work commuter and will hit the twisties 1 or 2 Sunday's a month. Can anyone comment on the mileage they've experienced on the BT016's? Is it a good enough tire for everyday use? Or am I going to be disappointed in August when I've gone 2500 miles and need new tires?

I'm running Roadsmarts right now--seem ok, but I just found this killer deal with a small shop here in Indy and I'm needing new tires soon. Thanks.

Yeah, stop and listen

Those are decent tires, Its dumb to run them as a commuter, cause of the longevity issues, install the road 2 package, it just totally rips everyone by a long shot on life.

expect 3 times the miles on a road 2 package over a BT16 package. This can mean thousands and thousands for the average rider.

Everyone has their own experience with tires, so whatever I say, someone will eventually come back and say something else. But, here is my $0.02. I put the BT-016's on my 93 in June of 2009 (yup that's right, 2 years) and now have just under 9k miles on them. I consider myself a similar rider to what you have described ancon. By the looks of the tire, there is still tread left to last (with my current riding style) until the end of the season. I'm in the Northeast and the season ends for me when temps reach 42 deg. F. I have only found one problem with the tires. The front has developed a slight ridge. The ridge appears to be centered around the harder (middle) compound of the tire. The rear is fine. That is my only complaint. That being said, I actually agree with spud, get the road 2 package, or at least something more suited for commuting. It would definitely be better than the BT-016's and I think that you will have a much better ride. Good luck on the hunt for tires.

Everyone has their own experience with tires, so whatever I say, someone will eventually come back and say something else. But, here is my $0.02. I put the BT-016's on my 93 in June of 2009 (yup that's right, 2 years) and now have just under 9k miles on them. I consider myself a similar rider to what you have described ancon. By the looks of the tire, there is still tread left to last (with my current riding style) until the end of the season. I'm in the Northeast and the season ends for me when temps reach 42 deg. F. I have only found one problem with the tires. The front has developed a slight ridge. The ridge appears to be centered around the harder (middle) compound of the tire. The rear is fine. That is my only complaint. That being said, I actually agree with spud, get the road 2 package, or at least something more suited for commuting. It would definitely be better than the BT-016's and I think that you will have a much better ride. Good luck on the hunt for tires.

Thanks for that, afpierce--exactly the info I'm looking for. I think I may try the BT016's--I like the idea of saving $110 or so. And 9k miles?! That's amazing--the way I ride, that'd last at least 2 seasons. 'Preciate your input.

• Member Contributer

I ran the BT16s for a few years, until switching to the 21s and now 23s because they are more of an ST tire and give a lot more life for those who are stuck on the slab a lot. I slabed to work 200miles round trip everyday and had as much fun as you can in Ontraio on the weekends and still was getting around 5000miles on the 16's.

However last set only lastest less than 1500 miles, after 500 miles of slab and a run down the Blue Ridge in 80°F temps, and 2 days of N.C riding at T-mac in 09 and they where cooked, to the point I was heading to Wheeler's for a new set before the trip home.

That price sounds about right, but look at the 23's if your going to slab it alot, they are multi-compound like the 16s but harder in middle and are about 98% of what the pilot road 2s but cheaper. I put well over 12,000miles on my last set and could have easily done 2 or 3 more, but swapped them out before the run to Tmac last month.

Tires are a personal thing like your underwear, there are 2 or 3 diffrent ones that everyone seems to agree on , and you'll pick what ever your comfortable with from there.

Just another thought / question. Is that "$250 out the door" at a local shop? If it is, what would they charge for just mounting and balancing? Another option might be to purchase tires on the net and have them install. That might save you some.

I really liked my 016's for the time that I had them, but I won't be buying them again. I am probably going to change out my tires over the winter for next riding season and I'm going to go with a more sport touring tire, something like the pilot road 2's, or even the new pilot road 3's. Before I buy, I'm going to do a boatload of research and find the best tire for my riding style and budget.

For your riding style that you described, you might want to consider the 023's. They are geared more toward the touring side of sport touring. If you can buy them online and have your local place mount them, motorcyclesuperstore.com has them on sale right now. There are also several other sites that have them on sale. I would give them a look see. Good luck.

one more time....

PP front + PR2 rear. THE set for you...

pete's superbike

$256 Cdn + applicable taxes.

THey will outlast your BT016 deal by at least 50% so you would have to pay >$375 US landed at your door to be more expensive...food for thought

Brian

• Member Contributer

Check the tire date code before buying the tires.

They might be on sale cause they are very old stock.

I have the 023's and I like them.

• Member Contributer

You can pick up Pilot Powers or Dunlop Q2 for about $209 to your door. Powers would be my choice over the BT16. Install is extra but I do my own. If you commute every day and for any distance I'd recommend a more sport touring tire. Now that I have the CBR954, I plan on running a Pilot Road 2 combo on the VFR. For the CBR I'll replace the perrellie corsa's with a set of Pilot 2CT's or equivilent but that bike will be seeing minimal commuting and no touring.

Some sport bike guys like the BT16s but have moved back to the Q2's or 2CTs or in my case the Pilot Powers all wear much nicer.

What ever you get off a BT16 , you can more than double that milege with Road 2.

9,000 mile is very decent on a BT , if you only got a low 2200 mile you'd be seeing it my way :biggrin: as not a longevity tire

The road 2's yeild 3 X the miles over a BT16 and offer very good traction.

so yeah if getting 9,000 mile off a bt 16, the road 2's will yeild you over 20,000 miles

Im not anti BT16, its just Id need about 3 sets to get 9,000 miles. So when someone is factoring in cost for commuting, how much is every 1000 mile of rubber worth, as long as its meets the performance gate?

The guy Here sees the cheaper dollar signs, he doesnt see down the road, How much he'll save spending that exta $40.

Archived