Left side exhaust is blacker..

jay-d

• Member Contributer

My Leo Vince left side exhaust canister is blacker than the right side (the carbon build up on the inside). Only about 1000km on the exhaust since I put it on. I've removed all the PAIR plumbing but don't quite understand why only the left side exhaust is working harder than the right? I've also noticed that the fumes coming out of the left side are hotter than the right?

Could this be because I removed the PAIR valve?? I also have a K&N air filter.. I think with these two mods, I'll be requiring a PC-V because the bike is running too lean??

Bah.. this PAIR valve seems to be causing more issues.. I haven't found anyone else having the same issues.. any ideas???

• Member Contributer

My Leo Vince left side exhaust canister is blacker than the right side (the carbon build up on the inside). Only about 1000km on the exhaust since I put it on. I've removed all the PAIR plumbing but don't quite understand why only the left side exhaust is working harder than the right? I've also noticed that the fumes coming out of the left side are hotter than the right?

Could this be because I removed the PAIR valve?? I also have a K&N air filter.. I think with these two mods, I'll be requiring a PC-V because the bike is running too lean??

Bah.. this PAIR valve seems to be causing more issues.. I haven't found anyone else having the same issues.. any ideas???

It's extremely unlikely that the difference you're seeing is the result of anything you've done. The 6th gens run a 4 - 2- 1- 2- header system. The exhaust from all cylinders is thorougly mixed before it gets to the mufflers. The temp difference (and probably the exhaust deposit color) is due to the splitter that gives the exhaust gases a straight shot at one muffler while routing the rest above and around the rear tire. The longer plumbing lets the gas cool a bit leaving more deposits in the muffler. It will also seem that the exhaust pulses from one muffler (most likely the right) will be stronger than the other. That said, the most likely result of the mods you've done would be to lean the thing out. What you describe (black deposits) doesn't sound like a lean condition to me.

• Member Contributer

This is normal VTEC gas flow behaviour. Left side has all the heat, right side makes all the noise.

Don't believe me? Put your hand over the right hand side exhaust pipe and listen to the bike go quiet, then put your hand over the left hand side and get burnt. :biggrin:

My 6th gen stock exhausts internally are perfectly equal, in coloration. clean, dry and light tan, Special fuel diet

That should give indication the design does work equally, unless some other force changes that.

• Member Contributer

My 6th gen stock exhausts internally are perfectly equal, in coloration. clean, dry and light tan, Special fuel diet

That should give indication the design does work equally, unless some other force changes that.

Yeah, it's called aftermarket pipes!

• 2 years later...

Sorry to hijac but you say the right side makes the noise I'm going to gut one side only which way are you looking from on the bike or looking from the front?

This is normal VTEC gas flow behaviour. Left side has all the heat, right side makes all the noise.

Don't believe me? Put your hand over the right hand side exhaust pipe and listen to the bike go quiet, then put your hand over the left hand side and get burnt. :biggrin:

Archived