Unable to set sag on CBR 929 shock

vfr661

• Member Contributer

I am having the hardest time adjusting the preload on 929 rear shock on my 98 5th gen VFR. I've gone through 2 CBR OEM spanner wrenches. The spanner wrench fits perfectly inside the collar but as I apply torque it'd slip and eventually the soft metal of the spanner wrench deforms and is no longer usable. All the while I am not able to adjust preload to the highest 3 setting. On the second attempt I even jack up the bike and spray WD-40 where the collar meet the spring but still can't rotate it. What am I doing wrong? Beside the weak CBR OEM spanner wrench, are there other aftermarket spanner wrench that has work for you? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Quick fix would be to whip out the dremel and or file and sharpen up and re-shape that tooth on the end, it should grab if you do it right.

There's nothing more to reshape. Both end pieces of the spanner wrench that anchor the collar for rotation have been deformed to the point that it's no longer grabbing. I think the metal used to make the spanner wrench is too soft and deforms too easily. Any applied torque ends up slipping. Is it suppose to be this hard to rotate the collar and set the sag on this type of rear shock?

• Member Contributer

I bought one of these and modified it with my trusty grinder. Works much better than the cheezy shock wrenches they sell at most bike shops or the stock Honda wrenches, and cheaper too.

• Member Contributer

I bought one of these and modified it with my trusty grinder. Works much better than the cheezy shock wrenches they sell at most bike shops or the stock Honda wrenches, and cheaper too.

Are you sure an oil filter wrench is going to work? I am willing to try any suggestion at this point.

image_421.jpg

• Member Contributer

I used to have a CBR900 shock on my Hawk GT. This may or may not help, but I found it easier to adjust the preload when it was on the centerstand (so that there was minimal load on the shock while I was trying to adjust it).

Maybe that would help?

Good luck,

Ron

• Member Contributer

Are you sure an oil filter wrench is going to work? I am willing to try any suggestion at this point.

image_421.jpg

It works for me after grinding the extra grip from between the long end/handle, and thinning out the ends so they fit into the shock collar holes. It's a $5 tool so it's kinda hard to go wrong.

• Member Contributer

I used to have a CBR900 shock on my Hawk GT. This may or may not help, but I found it easier to adjust the preload when it was on the centerstand (so that there was minimal load on the shock while I was trying to adjust it).

Maybe that would help?

Good luck,

Ron

I've already tried that and it still would not budge. The soft oem spanner wrench eventually slips and eventually deform no longer usable.

• Member Contributer

image_421.jpg

It works for me after grinding the extra grip from between the long end/handle, and thinning out the ends so they fit into the shock collar holes. It's a $5 tool so it's kinda hard to go wrong.

Would it be possible to see a pix of the end product after all the grinding? I plan to pick one up and give it a try..

• Member Contributer

image_421.jpg

Would it be possible to see a pix of the end product after all the grinding? I plan to pick one up and give it a try..

Give me a few to find my camera, and a trip to the garage......

• Member Contributer

OK I lied....

I didn't grind off the teeth between the long end & the handle, but I did grind off 1 of the teeth on each end, and thin the ends out so they fit in the collar holes. You'll need to squeeze the handle pretty good, but if you do it won't slip or strip.

post-20983-0-00333800-1308110308_thumb.j

post-20983-0-14063400-1308110371_thumb.j

It looks like the tool is going to be pushing as well as pulling if the parts are ground to fit the shock.

But I"d say you need to get some penetrating oil (not wd40) on the shock adjustment ring, that's not normal to be that hard to move, and let it soak in a few hours.

+1 being on the c-stand

• Member Contributer

MBrane: Thanks for sharing the pixs. I'll definitely get one and try it out.

Monk: Thanks for your suggestion about using penetrating oil.

You guys are awesome!!! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

So... How's about an update?

I've was on a 5 day motorcycle tour through the California coast to Eureka and did not have time to do anything yet but will post an update when I get around to it.

What brand of penetrating oil do you recommend?

So... How's about an update?

I've was on a 5 day motorcycle tour through the California coast to Eureka and did not have time to do anything yet but will post an update when I get around to it.

What brand of penetrating oil do you recommend?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Sea-Foam-12-oz-354-882-ml-Deep-Creep-multipurpose-penetrating-lubricant-and-cleaner/_/N-270i;jsessionid=96C7790F229AB0DA2C5A5FAA528635FD.diyprod3-b2c13?counter=1&itemIdentifier=597211_0_0_

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Great tip Mbrane. Works better than brand new spanner tool. thanks

I finally grind down the HF oil filter wrench as described by Mbrane and it works great. LIke skymon said, "Works better than bran new spanner tool." It only took me over a year.

• Member Contributer

Great tip Mbrane. Works better than brand new spanner tool. thanks

I finally grind down the HF oil filter wrench as described by Mbrane and it works great. LIke skymon said, "Works better than bran new spanner tool." It only took me over a year.

Really doesn't seem like a year does it? Must be getting old. LOL Still using mine, and still working good.

Archived