downgrading my '94

Guest Mysta2

Guest Mysta2

I've posted here before, but it's been a while. We've got a new baby, so the bikes have been pushed off the top of the priority pile, so I don't get a lot done very fast, but I thought I'd go ahead and share my take on the VFR.

Bought her a while back off CR and rescued her from a stunter:

frontright.jpg

ditched the PAIR:

snakes2.JPG

Found her a new tank:

white.jpg

Powdered the wheels:

IMG_0255.jpg

Put in new bearings:

Bearings02.JPG

Made a new sub:

IMG_0414.jpg

Fitted a new fairing, sort of:

IMG_0409.jpg

and this is how she sits of last night:

IMG_0423.jpg

as of right now, I'm just excited to have her back on the ground, there's still a good amount of work to go before I'm out on the street, but she looks like a bike again, and I'm excited!

there's a lot more in depth info on my blog of you'd like to know more: http://dropbarscinder.blogspot.com/

Thanks all. For the time being I plan on painting it all white with red "number plates" on the tail sort of in the vien of this 998:

006.jpg

When I finish it with the RC30 fairings I'll be re shooting it in the more traditional red white and blue (and blue) of the original RC30. Unless I really fall in love with the white and red, who knows?

I like the site you have up. A stunter? wow, it never ceases to amaze me. What color did you paint the stator cover? I like that too.

It's a wrinkle finish powder coat:

Shoes+004.jpg

Shoes+005.jpg

I don't know if the color has a name or not, but it's a pretty dark bronze...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks for the kind words.

Progress is always slow, but I've managed a recent spike in activity. My daughter's now 14months which means you don't have to hover quite as intently.

Added some new spinners

09.JPG

And some pretty new grabbers that are significantly less bent than the originals.

07.JPG

Also picked up a nice new front and rear stand for her. The wallet wasn't happy, but I was ecstatic.

05.JPG

Subframe number 2 (or is it three?) was another failure. Way too flimsy, took a little too much meat out of it. More aluminum wall art.

IMG_0219.jpg

Last night I for the first time wrapped her up which was really exciting. Although clearly the fairing is a size 4 and the bike's at least a size 6. Lots of chopping to be done on the lower exhaust tubing, and a bit of tube tucking.

IMG_0234.jpg

Click any of the pics to link to the full blog.

VERY impressive subframe. You're on number 3? I assume you either have a very steady hand and a strong dremel or access to a CNC machine. Nice bike, nice blog

IMG_0258.jpg

Last night I bolted up the R6r front end... it doesn't fit, but damn it's close. Bottom bearing seemed to fit perfect, but the top's way too big.

Also anyone know off hand what the OD of the OEM VFR front wheel bearing is. If I can source a bearing with that OD and an ID of 22mm I can use my stock wheel with the R6 axle.

• Member Contributer

Does that car seat bolt directly to the subframe? :idea3:

Nice project. Looking forward to the updates.

Does that car seat bolt directly to the subframe? :idea3:

Nice project. Looking forward to the updates.

Yup, can't seem to find a helmet in her size though.

Tgarage.jpg

• Member Contributer

I like the site you have up. A stunter? wow, it never ceases to amaze me. What color did you paint the stator cover? I like that too.

It's a wrinkle finish powder coat:

Shoes+004.jpg

Shoes+005.jpg

I don't know if the color has a name or not, but it's a pretty dark bronze...

Not so much wrinkle paint as it is "hammered" I like it. It's the new wrinkled look

Try finding bearings that will fit the frame and the Yamaha steering stem, or press out the Yamaha steering stem and find a way to press the Vfr steering stem into the Yamaha lower triple. May need a machined bushing, or perhaps bore out the Yamaha lower triple depending on the size mismatch.

What makes it difficult is that the Yamaha stem is about an inch longer than the VFR stem, but it is pressed into the aluminum lower tree.

On the other hand the VFR lower tree is steel and welded to the stem. The best option would be to cut the lower VFR tree off and make an aluminum lower tree to clamp it. But since it's engineered to be welded there may not be much surface to clamp onto.

What makes it difficult is that the Yamaha stem is about an inch longer than the VFR stem, but it is pressed into the aluminum lower tree.

On the other hand the VFR lower tree is steel and welded to the stem. The best option would be to cut the lower VFR tree off and make an aluminum lower tree to clamp it. But since it's engineered to be welded there may not be much surface to clamp onto.

Bah, that's a crock. Just grind the weld off and shove it in the new tree. Drill & tap for a retaining bolt and it won't go anywhere. You'll need to pop the Yamaha stem out and mic it to confirm the diameter of the shank that is held in the tree vs. the Honda part. Then measure the length of section clamped in the lower, also check overall length and clamp thickness so you can press the new one to the correct depth. If the diameters are within a thou I'd go for it! (Honda will measure 1.181" IIRC)

I've handled stems from steel lowers (welded) and from aluminum lowers (press only), and they measure the same.

Done a good bit of this with my custom tree sets, I've done over a half dozen of these now:

70f02bbf.jpg

8951136f.jpg

I did a CBR600 F2 fork swap on my 86 Vfr and ground the weld off the stem, and fitted into the other triple which had been pressed in.

It's a taper fit, and always under tension.

Taper fit, no. Interference fit, yes.

Seb. What do you use to cut those thin slots in your trees? It's hard to imagine a 16th cutter going that deep without snapping. Also are you using 6061 or 7075?

Seb. What do you use to cut those thin slots in your trees? It's hard to imagine a 16th cutter going that deep without snapping. Also are you using 6061 or 7075?

I have a bag of tricks, and none of them involve a milling machine. :wink:

I did a CBR600 F2 fork swap on my 86 Vfr and ground the weld off the stem, and fitted into the other triple which had been pressed in.

It's a taper fit, and always under tension.

Taper fit, no. Interference fit, yes.

Ahh, it's been awhile. I'm claiming OldTimer's disease......

Archived