My first impressions on Pirelli Angel St's

Guest VFRHusband

Guest VFRHusband

With the word of riders on several forums, I got a set of Pirelli Angel ST's on my '04 FZ1.

My FZ has allways been rough on tires. In past seasons I have had DumpLaps (hated them) BattLax (decent wear but poor grip) Lasst yeat Metzler M3's ( loved them, but not the 3K i got out of them.

I was able to put my first 100 miles on the angels Saturday. With every intention of taking it "easy" on brand new rubber... That lasted till I got to the "fun" roads.

IMAG0007.jpg

I did most of the miles on two state routes here in east Ohio. Rt 170 (south and north and south again, and Rt 7 south and north.

003fz.jpg

Pirelli's replacent for the Diablo Strada has me all smiles so far. Great grip on the launch and stop. No skid in hard downshifting. No worries in the corners. Pirelli claims 7500 mile life. Some riders claimimg even more. My FZ is far from a geat "knee-dragging" bike, but I find myself getting more confident all the time. If the long term is as good as my first impressions of this rubber I plan on alot more time in the corners.

IMAG0008.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the write up. I had great results on my Pirelli Angels (until I picked up two nails in the rear and abandoned them on the way down to TMAC). They are in my opinion the second best tire for motorcycles available. And they aren't far behind the mighty Pilot Road 2.

• Member Contributer

Mounted a set BUT at 4200 miles when they gave it up, it was ugly. Could not get them off the rims fast enough.

Sticking with pp/pr Mich.

• Member Contributer

Not a fan of the Pirelli Angels either. I did not like the aggressive profile. The Michelin Pilot Road 2 and 3s are much better.

I low sided on the Pirelli Angels. If you run your finger along the far sides of the tire (the area you would use in a tight corner) you will notice it is a slippery surface. Where on most other tires when you run your finger along the far sides of the tire there is some resistance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Michelin power sports on my 4th gen and I was apprehensive about them at first considering my last (and it was awhile ago) experience with Michelin pilot sports (which sucked ass)...these have great feel on them and I have alot of confidence in them.

Mounted a set BUT at 4200 miles when they gave it up, it was ugly. Could not get them off the rims fast enough.

Sticking with pp/pr Mich.

Ditto

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a ST on the front now and trying it out on an extended loaded tour. So far so good......but I am looking for mileage more than performance these days. I used to get over 7K miles on my fronts but with recent tires I have been lucky to get 5K.

• 2 months later...

I had Angels on FJR for 5k miles before I traded in the bike. They looked almost like new. I don't ride very hard, but I didn't think I would get 5k on them due to the weight of the bike. They are the best tires on the market IMO.

Prior to Angels I used to run Stradas as the OEM replacement.

I am pirelli fan for life.

I just finished my second Pirelli Angel rear. I normally run Metzler Z6 rears but they have no wear bars in the center--the wear bar is the cords showing through..... Turns out that the Angel is the same. The two hash marks near the center will still be almost full when the cords show. Good for ~7K miles though.

I just put an Angel front on with the last Angel rear. It seems to heat up quickly & hold well. I really prefer the Metzler M1 Sportec for the front but those are not made anymore.

Archived