Maniac Salamander?

filterfool

• Member Contributer

Has anyone installed a Maniac Salamander throttle lock? I know most people use the Throttlemeister but I was looking at Maniac's page and his stuff looked interesting.

If you have uses his lock, what was your experience w/ the ordering process, how did you find the fit & finish of the product and how didi it work on your bike?

Thanks in advance for your help.

filterfool

• Member Contributer

Thanks

Do you have any pictues of your install? How do you engage the lock while you are riding?

I apprecaite your help.

filterfool

• Forum CEO

No pics I put it on in a hurry to get ready for a big ride to the PNW meet last year and did not take the time to photograph it, it was easy to install. They work simply by twisting a quarter turn one way or a 1/8th turn the other way, uses a strange looking spring to provide the pressure to stop the throttle, 1/8 turn will disengage too easy but is easy to engage, opposite effect for the other way 1/4 turn. Looks pretty good

http://www.manicsalamander.com/Instruction%20Manual%20Bolt-On2.pdf

• Member Contributer

How does the Manic Salamander differ from the Throttlemeister?

TIA,

Roger

TM is a screw, the MS uses a spring.

I had a Throttlemeister on my old bike, was thinking of adding one to the VFR.

One thing I liked about the screw action, I could tighten it just enough and then I could make small adjustments without disengaging and then re-engaging.

That was nice in hilly country, or when riding with a group where a constant throttle setting doesn't work for long.

Can you do something similar with the Manic Salamander, maybe find the right pressure during install to do the same sort of minor adjustment with it still engaged?

I have not used the MS throttle lock, but I ill take the opportunity to say something about Manic Salamander, the company. I bought some heavyweight MS bar ends for my BMW R1200ST three years ago. I bought them from Twisted Throttle. They were the wrong ones and I just never got around to returning them as they were marked as being the right ones. Fast forward to yesterday when I was doing a garage cleaning. Since Twisted Throttle reps told me at Daytona that they no longer sold the items, I called Manic Salamander. I did not leave a voice mail as I knew I was going to be outside and didn't want to play phone tag. Paul, of Manic Salamander called me back anyway since my call had triggered voice mail but I had left no message. He offered to exchange my bar ends for the proper ones, even up, with me paying postage. He was most accommodating in every way and a pleasure to talk to. He sent me a list of current MS applications with stock numbers and said he would make sure I get the right ones. I will do business with him again.

Has anyone installed a Maniac Salamander throttle lock? I know most people use the Throttlemeister but I was looking at Maniac's page and his stuff looked interesting.

If you have uses his lock, what was your experience w/ the ordering process, how did you find the fit & finish of the product and how didi it work on your bike?

Thanks in advance for your help.

filterfool

• Member Contributer

Thanks for this! As others have mentioned this is a new one on me. While i have a throttlemeister already on my VFR, I was wanting something for on my GSX-R 750 for the few times that it's not being track ridden. This option looks to be the price range I was hoping for. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Never seen that before. Cool.

Off to find some wire...

Glenn

OK, I had some 1/8" SS in the shop...

gallery_17070_4949_1852158.jpg

Lock

gallery_17070_4949_642845.jpg

Lock in place

It's a beta test, for sure, but it works well enough that I'm going to make a simple jig for the next one. It also needs a stainless ring holding the legs together - I can see the rubber stretching after a while.

I told you I was an incurable tinkerer...

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I have one on the veefalo works great.

Hi HS. Your reply surprised me. I put a Throttlemeister on my 7th gen DCT last summer. It did a good job of holding the throttle physically steady, but in use it wouldn't hold the bike's speed even close to steady. On a level, wide open road it would either accelerate, slowly at first, then at an accelerating rate, or decelerate similarly. I jumped to the conclusion that the fly-by-wire throttle wasn't compatible with a throttle-locker type of speed control, went home, took it off, and sold it to a guy on VFRD who had an earlier generation, non-fly-by-wire throttle.

Was I too hasty? Have other 7th gen riders had successes similar to yours? or failures similar to mine? I'm curious, especially given the price of the only real alterntive I've found -- the MCCruise. And given the fact that MCCruise has yet to find a DCT bike to use to develop a unit that I can use.

Archived