Radial MC

keny

Question

I have wounder it Radial MC does bring some more feel in the brakeing? I might do a mad and need a bigger MC then. Also a matching clutch MC would ebe nice. A nother thing is it would make it bossible to turn the level further forvard, as now the stock MC fluid reservuir interfer.

Anyone uppgrade to Radial MC ot their VFR?

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I think it would be difficult to make it fit on the bar, and to get the proper angle for your reach to the lever. I tried it with a Brembo and the stock version from a CBR 1000RR, and didn't end up using either due to clearance issues with the cable coming from the switch pod and the clearance with the handlebar riser. This was using F4i calipers, so the issue of cylinder size was not a concern for me as they were a good match already.

I did a mock up on my stock '99 bars, and it seemed workable. But not with the stock switch pod. I used a CBR style separate throttle and switch. To make it even easier, you would want a newer style switch with the cable coming straight down from the bottom. Not to the inside like the older CBR/RC51. The problem there is that the connector isn't a direct plug in to your harness. Unless you use the RC51 part.

When I went to the final build, I am using VFR1200 handle bars and then I had the clearance problems with the design of the riser. Especially with the CBR radial. Brembo was a bit easier, but still not ideal. I decided to go with stock RC51, because i had one on hand.

I can't really compare them personally since I never got the GSR-R1000K5 radial master bled properly on my bike but here's a link to a detailed description of a swap and some comparisions on a CBR600RR: http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/1000RRmaster.htm

He says it's not worth it and my CBR919RR brakes are working so well with the original master cylinder it's hard to imagine them being much (if any) better with a radial master. I've compared them to some of the best radial brakes on the market, lastly the BMW S1000RR last summer and my brakes aren't that far from them.

• Member Contributer

Is it worth the investment? In my opinion, not with the stock brake system.

On my RC51, the feel from the Brembo with steel lines and stock RC51 rotors and calipers is phenomenal! With all that mess on the front of the VFR, I think it's wasted.

For me, the radial master cylinders seem to have more push, or power over the stock master cylinders, but you also know that my entire brake system is no-where near to stock. They are a mod that I will do on my next motorcycle as well!!!

Archived