Anyone have Spartan leathers?

SEBSPEED

Figured out yesterday that I no longer fit in my JR Speedmaster pants... so, yes, I'm going to get to work on dropping a few pounds, but it's also rekindled my interest in a custom 2pc perforated suit.

There are a couple companies on ebay that have really appealing prices($350-500), then there's Spartan leathers($700-1400), and of course the "big guns" at the top of the price range like Barnacle Bill, Vanson, Syed, etc.

So, I'm leaning towards a) losing weight & b) ebay or Spartan.

Please post feedback on Spartan gear if you have any, I'm looking at the Elite and the Shield

My other hangup on buying a new suit (before TMAC), is that I really need to lose weight, and obviously if I buy a suit now and then lose 15lb it won't fit "right" anymore. :comp13: Sigh...

• Member Contributer

They do cut their leathers a but short Seb........

I should have seen that one coming... doh.gif

:laughing6-hehe:

I think there was a review on the Spartan 2-piece leathers here once upon a time. I believed it to be favorable...

Your idea of losing weight is always a winner though. Free one pony for every 8 lbs (if I recall correctly). :fing02:

And there's also the "Force" 2pc, right in between the other 2 at $825. If I sell off the 2pc Joe Rocket getup I have now(after the new suit comes in), that would really offset the cost... hmm...

Force2pc.png

Oh, and if the photoshop happens(I'm not gonna help you, btw...) then the sword needs to be replaced with a ratchet wrench or something... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I have seen the Spartan leathers and the construction and build quality look to be very good. The leather was thick and the fit (at least on the person who was wearing the suit at the time) appeared to be excellent.

I am realy liking the Slade suit from Held. Sportbiketrackgear.com has it for $1200.

Guys, it's funny, I love it - and I'm certainly not one to complain about post ho'ing... but can we please stick to the topic on this one? I need feedback on the suits I'm asking about because I need to order in the next week or so to get one in time for Tmac.

'Preciatcha!

• Member Contributer

I ordered a pair of custom Spartan pants last year and they didn't fit at all. I sent them back for another pair with adjusted measurements based on the ill-fitting pants, and they didn't fit. Either I did a crappy job of measuring (my GF and I were very meticulous), or something's up with the labor in Afghanistan (where they're made, IIRC). Customer service was good to a point (when the second pair didn't fit, the owner essentially said I was SOL), but in the end, I had to sell the pants on Craigslist for really cheap since I couldn't use them. Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend Spartan, but maybe you'll have better luck. I'm sure they've had satisfied customers.

BTW, I'm sold on the virtues of kevlar. Check out motoport/cycleport when you get a chance. Kevlar is more durable, more resistant to abrasion, and cheaper than leather. Don't know if they make 1-piece suits, but they do make 2-piecers. Leather starts to crack after time, and especially when exposed to moisture. Plus, the stitching on conventional leather suits is pretty crappy. Just an FYI. Oh, and the padding/armor is really good on the motoport stuff.

I ordered a pair of custom Spartan pants last year and they didn't fit at all. I sent them back for another pair with adjusted measurements based on the ill-fitting pants, and they didn't fit. Either I did a crappy job of measuring (my GF and I were very meticulous), or something's up with the labor in Afghanistan (where they're made, IIRC). Customer service was good to a point (when the second pair didn't fit, the owner essentially said I was SOL), but in the end, I had to sell the pants on Craigslist for really cheap since I couldn't use them. Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend Spartan, but maybe you'll have better luck. I'm sure they've had satisfied customers.

BTW, I'm sold on the virtues of kevlar. Check out motoport/cycleport when you get a chance. Kevlar is more durable, more resistant to abrasion, and cheaper than leather. Don't know if they make 1-piece suits, but they do make 2-piecers. Leather starts to crack after time, and especially when exposed to moisture. Plus, the stitching on conventional leather suits is pretty crappy. Just an FYI. Oh, and the padding/armor is really good on the motoport stuff.

Thanks for the feedback - what were the fit issues you had? Where were they off? Too tight/loose - too long/short?

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback - what were the fit issues you had? Where were they off? Too tight/loose - too long/short?

Too big in the butt and waist. The inseam was too short. The waist to crotch distance was enormous. Don't think there was one part of the pants that fit. It wasn't like when you go to the store and try on some jeans and they could almost fit if they were a little longer/shorter or if the waist were a little bigger/smaller; It seemed like the proportions were completely off. But like I stated above, maybe my experience was just an anomaly. If you do purchase a suit from these guys, make sure your measurements are spot on. You could even go to a tailor.

• Member Contributer

Check out the Mega Thread on SVrider.com

TrackdayMag Review

Quoted from Cozye over at 600RR.net

I actually know the guy who is doing these. He's a real stand up fellow and has been working very hard to make sure the suits are up to his standards.

It's triple stitched I believe, not double.

He also offers some very nice options such as brass zippers, etc..

There have been two crashes in these suits so far and they have held up very well. Quite a few local guys around here have bought the suits and like them quite well. He also has a thread going on the WERA forum and has sold a bunch of suits on there, and most were very happy with them.

I'll shoot him an email and see if he would like to come over here and speak for himself since you guys were asking.

He has made continuous improvements with every run of suits.

I don't think he is claiming that they are competing directly with $1500 custom made suits. What he is claiming though is that its solid quality and construction, on par with any suits anywhere near its price range and custom fit to boot.

No doubt there are some real nice suits out there, but for the price these leathers have been very well recieved and offer substantial protection and bang for the buck. Not to mention they fit ;)

There are some reviews on WERA BBS, pretty favorable from what Ive read. Do a search there and you will get what your looking for Seb. If you ever need leather cleaning or alteration check out Barnacle Bill, he does great work for an even better price. You might also consider Kobe leather, not sure they do a 2 peice but for the money its a really good off the rack type suit. They had a special going on the Wera board that includes a free pair of gloves.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well Seb, you get your leathers? How are they?

Since this was kind-of-a leather thread......

I broke down & had a custom suit made by Helimot. I gave up on the of-the-rack stuff. Just could not get good fit with my Budda belly. Also wanted a retro color scheme suit, so HBD & Merry Xmas to me for the next couple of years...LOL

gallery_6467_4404_58485.jpg

California Superbike School 5 June 2011 new leathers get sweated in at Barber in 95 degree heat......

Well Seb, you get your leathers? How are they?

Nice suit, I like the colors!

I ended up buying an off-the rack Joe Rocket suit, which fits pretty good. I tried to lose weight and fit into my old one, but that didn't work out which left me under the gun to get fitting leather for the TMAC trip. My only regret is the JR suit is not perforated.

I would still like to try out one of these Spartan suits, then maybe sell the JR. Finances dictate that will have to wait at least until next year though.

Archived