Help: Installing OEM Bags & LV Cans

CDNbacon

So I picked up a set of used OEM bags and OEM brackets and going to install them I've come across 3 problems.

1. Bore out 12mm hole on passenger rearset. The manual says to use a drill w/ 12mm bit. My question is: Anyone who has done this, did you drill it out with a hand drill on the bracket with it still on the bike? (I don't have a jig to put the bracket it). Or .. take it to a shop and let them set it up in a jig to make sure its done correct and straight.
  2. Clashing of bracket with LV oval can. See attached pictures. I've read in other posts that the OEM will work with the LV oval cans. How do you make it work? Rotate the cans outward? (think it might look a bit funny), Can someone show me pictures of your setup?
  3. Fender Eliminator... how do you guys connect both brackets if there is no stock fender to brace the bags to? Make a custom bar to connect? Pictures?

Any tips and/or suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

post-21447-0-87355300-1297136890_thumb.j

post-21447-0-08464000-1297136915_thumb.j

post-21447-0-94782100-1297136924_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

I can't speak to the fender eliminator as I don't have one - but do a search - something like - eliminator hardbag - or similar and you'll find some threads like this one that have photos. It looks pretty straightforward - you just need to be able to join the two sides with the flat plate, and then maybe modify the fender stay to not hang below the license plate.

Fender elim

As for drilling out the hole, rather than do that I went down the hardware store and got 2 circular "split pins" - it's like a steel tube with a lengthwise slot cut down it - they're used to hold pulleys on shafts, etc. It was just a touch large in diameter, so I used a file to take some material off so it was just a slight press fit. The lengthwise slot makes it sort of like a spring that pushes outward on the hole. Then I used a grinder to fit the length. I left it just a touch long so that the pannier attachment grips the pin rather than the rearset. A touch of primer to prevent rust and I just pushed it in to the hole - no drilling. If I want to take the racks off, the pins will stay in place since they're a press fit, or if I want to remove them to put them on another bike I just push the pins out and no one will ever know they were there. The link below is a good guide to fitting the hardware - lots of pics.

Hardbag install

As to fitting your LV ovals, it's probably not much different than my Remus ovals. It's a tight fit and it took me a while. What I finally realized is that the cans are mounted so tightly so as not to move, so I don't need a lot of clearance. I probably only have 1/4" or of clearance on the left side and maybe 1/8" on the right, but it's enough. No rubbing so far. Just mount the cans and the racks very loosely, and maybe get a buddy to help you hold things in place. I had just enough play in the center connecting plate that I was able to jiggle it around enough to get what I needed on both sides. One solution I saw was to get a small piece of medical grade silicone that can stand up to the heat of the cans and use it as a spacer between the rack and the can. I haven't found it necessary. The pic I posted is near the bottom of the thread. Just keep working it - you should find a combination of can / rack placement that will work.

Remus install

BTW - love the avatar . . . :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

So I picked up a set of used OEM bags and OEM brackets and going to install them I've come across 3 problems.

1. Bore out 12mm hole on passenger rearset. The manual says to use a drill w/ 12mm bit. My question is: Anyone who has done this, did you drill it out with a hand drill on the bracket with it still on the bike? (I don't have a jig to put the bracket it). Or .. take it to a shop and let them set it up in a jig to make sure its done correct and straight.
  2. Clashing of bracket with LV oval can. See attached pictures. I've read in other posts that the OEM will work with the LV oval cans. How do you make it work? Rotate the cans outward? (think it might look a bit funny), Can someone show me pictures of your setup?
  3. Fender Eliminator... how do you guys connect both brackets if there is no stock fender to brace the bags to? Make a custom bar to connect? Pictures?

Any tips and/or suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

1. I didn't even have to do this. If you absolutely have to bore the hole out, there's really no chance of not doing it straight, since you're simply taking a little bit of material off the outsides.

2. Can't help ya, sorry.

3. The brackets need to be braced together in the center. An OEM installation adds a longer fender bracket. I just added this bracket and took off the plastic fender. If you don't want to do this, you'll have to fabricate your own bracket or bar to connect the two brackets to each other. Either way it won't look as clean as a full fender elim.

Hey. fitted OEM hard bags recently:

Definitely have to drill holes out. did it on bike with no probs.

You cannot use fender eliminator as framework for panniers requires metal bracket within standard fender extension. I cut OEM fender extension just below metal frame. see attached.

I fitted Lazer pipes (sound Horn!) so can't help with OEM pipe issues. I did have to bend brakets to clear framework of panniers so may be the same with standard mufflers. still have instructions if needed.

Rgds

Daz

Drew 019.MOV

• Member Contributer

1. I took a round file to mine and then pressed the collars inside with a pair of pliers. They fit tight so I don't have to worry about them slipping out if I remove the mounts.

2. Some guys use the plate that's included but turn it upside down or fabricate a new one. You'll have to leave off the mounting plate that bolts to the bottom of the seat pan. It's going to show with the FE.

3. Can't say for sure as I still have the stock pipes but looks like you may just have to twist the cans just a bit to clear the sidebag mount.

Get all the bolts started for the luggage rack before you tighten everything. Mine didn't seem like it was going to fit but after evenly tightening each bolt it finally lined up.

• Member Contributer

1. Mine already had bags on it when I bought it so I don't know about drilling out the hole. If I had to guess I would say do it on the bike, go slow, and try to be as straight as possible. I would imagine the original hole should keep you pretty straight.

2. I just installed LV ovals on mine and it took a little bit of time of rotating, tightening and loosening, but they will eventually have some clearence without any problems. Like Cogswell said, it will be close, but they are tight and don't move much at all, so don't worry if you only have a 1/4" or so of clearance.

3. I don't have a fender eliminator, but I used the stock fender bracket and just removed the plastic mud flap.

Hope this helps,

Tony

So I'm all set to install the OEM bags, but note on the instructions I need to drill out the rearsets to 12mm... however finding a 12mm drill bit is like pulling teeth! I can order one but do I need to? Would it hurt it to drill it out with a 1/2" bit (12.7mm).

So I'm all set to install the OEM bags, but note on the instructions I need to drill out the rearsets to 12mm... however finding a 12mm drill bit is like pulling teeth! I can order one but do I need to? Would it hurt it to drill it out with a 1/2" bit (12.7mm).

The bushings will fall out when the brackets are removed with a 1/2" hole, but that's not a big deal.

Have a RatTail file? doesn't take much to get them to fit w/o drilling.

On my bike one bushing fit and the other needed the hole enlarged! :biggrin:

BTW, are you a Canadian Cop? :cool:

• Member Contributer

I did drilled the holes to 12mm. With the former Arrow exhaust the cans came pretty close to the pannier bracket.

With the Leo Vince Carbon there is more space between the pannier as mentioned earlier.

I didn't install the stock fender bracket as it didn't came with the bags.

A selfmade version will be installed someday to strengthen the construction.

I took some pictures which give an idea how much space is present between the cans and the bracket.

post-18104-0-72826100-1297887437_thumb.j

post-18104-0-42997600-1297887526_thumb.j

post-18104-0-01718200-1297887418_thumb.j

post-18104-0-61959500-1297887498_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing is fitting at all! Need some help here. See attached pictures. When I try to line up the side brackets nothing works. Also, using the luggage bolts to bolt to where the passenger handle mount it those bolts have a different thread then the handle bolts. Thankfully I didn't force it and strip the threads. But when I align up the bracket at the grab handle mount the bracket won't fit up to the rearset hole and the bracket rubs the plastic as if there should be a spacer .... or vice versa.

Need an opinion here... they look like honda vfr bags and parts, I was told it was OEM however nothing fits!

post-21447-0-39937000-1299828660_thumb.j

post-21447-0-62332100-1299828730_thumb.j

post-21447-0-31351400-1299828763_thumb.j

post-21447-0-86546800-1299828786_thumb.j

post-21447-0-18970600-1299828816_thumb.j

post-21447-0-68729000-1299828836_thumb.j

post-21447-0-27448500-1299828859_thumb.j

post-21447-0-28648300-1299828880_thumb.j

post-21447-0-93713800-1299828910_thumb.j

Hey again. Fitted my OEM bags not that long ago and had no real probs.

1: had to use a little force to have all bracket holes align.

2: start screws but only insert enough so they wont pull out. This allows some flexibility. Mount bracket on rearset hole (12mm) first.

3: you still use standard grabrail bolts in rear ducktail and grabrails mount fits on top of pannier bracket.

4: Once you have loosley mounted framework attach fender extension piece supplied to connect either side framework with plastic fender cover.

if you need the instructions let me know and i'll scan and send. If you get stuck i can video/ photo the process and send.

Rgds

Daz

• Member Contributer

I've installed the bags and brackets and had no problems. Here's the 2 tricks needed to get it done

1. As said, donot tighten anything until all bolts are located

2. Find someone in your area that already has them fitted and tell em to come around so you can physically see whats happening...some :beer: maybe required but whos gunna complain about that..

I hear what you guys are saying but I'm telling you the brackets just do not fit. Example, If I align up the bracket with the grab handle mount and drop the bolts in a couple threads, so everything is loose but just enough to hold it in place, then when I go to fit the bracket to the rearset hole it won't reach. If I force it then the bracket makes contact with the plastic near the grab handles to the point where it will crack if I try to get that bottom hole to mate with the rearset. They just don't fit....

Any chance someone you could take a close up picture of the bracket x rearset and bracket x grab handle point. I'm curious, does the bracket set flush against the 2 point mounts where the passenger handles bolt in? or is there a space between that surface and the bracket (is there a spacer that goes in there

• Member Contributer

I had the same issue. I had the rear plastic off while fitting so that I wouldn't be concerned with scratching it. What I realized is that these racks are made from mild steel and can bend a bit to improve the fit. I fit the brackets at the rear foot rests, connected the plate above the license plate and then the upper bracket on the left (with two holes where the rear hand holds go) and the upper bracket on the right side wasn't even close. I ran the bolts down finger tight to keep everything in place and then used a bit of "persuasion" by using my body weight to move the right upper bracket around a bit until it lined up. I also had to rotate it just a bit. By the time I was done all the holes fell in to place perfectly. I had the cans installed so I knew where I had clearance and where it was tight. I don't think these things are necessarily made to a super high tolerance and it's up to the installer to make some adjustments. I didn't go crazy on bending these - maybe 3/8 of an inch or so. Just make adjustments in small increments. If you get too aggressive bending them, the coating could crack and flake off. Mine came through just fine.

Archived