DIY shock spring removal

VFR-SPORT

• Member Contributer

I have an Ohlins 1092-69/170 (971 lb spring) that I purchased on eBay, as others did. I have replaced my OEM shock with an Elka shock but it only has an 850 lb spring. I am going to remove it to send it away for a re-build and probably a 1100 lb spring for my ~ 180 lb weight and entirely solo sport touring activities. However I want to try to fit the Ohlins spring on my OEM shock.

I know I can purchase shock spring compressor items on eBay or Progressive Suspensions. I would like to know some DIY spring compressor ideas from those who have attempted it. Thanks in advance

My Ohlins has threaded preload adjusters.

There is enough thread on the shock body to unwind 100% of the tension on the spring and remove it without having anything go flying, even a millimeter.

That is how I swapped springs when I got the shock.

What sort of preload adjusters does your Elka have?

• Member Contributer

My Ohlins has threaded preload adjusters.

There is enough thread on the shock body to unwind 100% of the tension on the spring and remove it without having anything go flying, even a millimeter.

That is how I swapped springs when I got the shock.

What sort of preload adjusters does your Elka have?

I am not putting the Ohlins spring on the Elka, I am going to send that away to have it re-built. I want to try to fit the Ohlins spring, with a 971 lb rating, onto the Honda OEM shock, which only has a 850 lb rating. Like I said I want DIY ideas to compress the OEM spring enough to replace it without buying a one time spring compressor item.

• Member Contributer

Usually I am all for DIY solutions.

But not in this case.

A spring can do a lot of damage if it brakes loose from the DIY contraption. And you could probably either buy a compressor for cheap or borrow one at a local shop.

Cost/benefit...

I am not putting the Ohlins spring on the Elka, I am going to send that away to have it re-built. I want to try to fit the Ohlins spring, with a 971 lb rating, onto the Honda OEM shock, which only has a 850 lb rating. Like I said I want DIY ideas to compress the OEM spring enough to replace it without buying a one time spring compressor item.

Ok, I'm in your movie now.

• Member Contributer

I have made my own device to remove the springs from rear shocks. It's basically a modified hydraulic press. The trick is that you need something to hold the upper mount of the shock and also something to capture the lower spring perch. The lower part needs to have provisions to get at the half-moon pieces that hold everything in place too. It's certainly a potentially dangerous operation - much more so than lower rate shock springs like those on motocross bikes. Before I made this setup I used an arbor press to compress the springs. I had a couple of shocks fly out of that which was very scary. Luckily I didn't get hurt but it certainly motivated me to make something better and safer.

Do not DIY a spring compressor. Take it to a shop, slip them a $20 and get them to do it. (or buy the right tools)

Jamie is a pro and it's even scary for him.

Watch out for the ID differences on the springs. The 1092 spring may not sit centered on the perch.

Here's my 5th gen experience, I made a collar to hold everything in place.

Thread link

edit: I see you've seen/posted in this thread already.

• Member Contributer

Do not DIY a spring compressor. Take it to a shop, slip them a $20 and get them to do it. (or buy the right tools)

Jamie is a pro and it's even scary for him.

Watch out for the ID differences on the springs. The 1092 spring may not sit centered on the perch.

Here's my 5th gen experience, I made a collar to hold everything in place.

Thread link

edit: I see you've seen/posted in this thread already.

I was looking over the OEM shock today and I believe it has the same taper at the top end as the 929 shock. Therefore I will have to re-think this unless I can find a collar the same as the one you posted in the other post. thanks for all the input.

• Member Contributer

I know the sales guy at the local Honda/Harley dealership so a trip there is in order to see if he can help me. Maybe he can vouch for me if I want to borrow a tool or two if they have something.

Archived