Bluetooth based rider comms

TomG33

• Member Contributer

I have been looking at these devices for a while now and clearly the Bluetooth style have a lot of advantages in regards to connectivity and functionality.

From what I have learned over the years about bluetooth, Once you are paired with something else, communications Usually "Just Happens"

Recently at a store, they were touting the advantages of a non bluetooth protocol, and the key point he was trying to make

was that bluetooth can get pretty crowded when you are with a large group ride , causing all sorts of problems.

While I can see this as a POSSIBILITY , I was not going to jump at this product based purely on his "say So" of problems with bluetooth.

So here I am asking of any of you who have had SCALA, or other bluetooth headsets, had problems with interference while out with large groups.

Thanks

Tom

I have been looking at these devices for a while now and clearly the Bluetooth style have a lot of advantages in regards to connectivity and functionality.

From what I have learned over the years about bluetooth, Once you are paired with something else, communications Usually "Just Happens"

Recently at a store, they were touting the advantages of a non bluetooth protocol, and the key point he was trying to make

was that bluetooth can get pretty crowded when you are with a large group ride , causing all sorts of problems.

While I can see this as a POSSIBILITY , I was not going to jump at this product based purely on his "say So" of problems with bluetooth.

So here I am asking of any of you who have had SCALA, or other bluetooth headsets, had problems with interference while out with large groups.

Thanks

Tom

I'll tell you after I give it a try.

• Member Contributer

I've got on of the first line of SCALA products and have used them in group rides on the motorcycle and the snowmobile and have never had any issues.

Bluetooth is a digital signal that works in the 2.4ghz range, and yes once paired its just get in range and things work. Pairing sets an electronic code between the 2 devices, and unless you pair with some one else cross talk just doesn't happen.

The non bluetooth protocol units I have seen just use an FRS signal that is an analog signal, which your looking at all kinds of issues. Any power system can cause problems and noise with them

• Member Contributer

I used my Scala to talk to my wife on the back at Americade this past June. We even went on a couple of group rides and we never ran into any interference. It worked flawlessly.

I've got on of the first line of SCALA products and have used them in group rides on the motorcycle and the snowmobile and have never had any issues.

Bluetooth is a digital signal that works in the 2.4ghz range, and yes once paired its just get in range and things work. Pairing sets an electronic code between the 2 devices, and unless you pair with some one else cross talk just doesn't happen.

The non bluetooth protocol units I have seen just use an FRS signal that is an analog signal, which your looking at all kinds of issues. Any power system can cause problems and noise with them

Side note to topic.... Dweese.... My scala is paired with my gps.... But there's no listing for my phone on the Scala list... Is there an option, other than getting a different phone?......OH... My phone is a blue tooth.

• Member Contributer

Monk, I have my Scala paired with my Zumo, then my iPhone paired with the Zumo. With that setup, I can talk to my wife on the bike, listen to the Zumo tell me where to go, and make/take phone calls. I'm not sure if the Scalas allow pairing with multiple devices, other than additional Scalas.

Monk, I have my Scala paired with my Zumo, then my iPhone paired with the Zumo. With that setup, I can talk to my wife on the bike, listen to the Zumo tell me where to go, and make/take phone calls. I'm not sure if the Scalas allow pairing with multiple devices, other than additional Scalas.

Thanks, I'll give that a try...

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I just picked me up a team set of the Scala 2. Got these on sale for xmas for abouot the same price as a single. Works out nice as I installed one on both helmets I use. I use my Nolan 103 around town and back and forth to work. Longer rides or faster rides I wear a Scorpion for a little less noise.

Installation was pretty easy. You may need the book to remember which button to push for what your trying to do for awhile. This will come with a little use.

Reason for the purchase. I have had a hardwired set for about a year and a half from EdSets. Worked fine when I first started using it but the speakers started fading out and I had to buy a replacement cable. Ed did send me one set for free. But with the cost of the cable is was starting to add up. With the expense of having to replace this set again I opted to go for the bluetooth route since the price was comparable.

My current setup I have now is my phone paired with my Zumo 550 and the Scala 2 Paired with the Zumo. Had a little fun with the kids and put one helmet on my daughters and was talking with them around the house seemed to work well. Today was the first day I had to test the setup on a ride. Playing the MP3 player from the Zumo was not the best sound quality not real good at all. There is an input jack for a MP3 player to be connected to the headset and I will try that later. The phone portion worked really well. I got up on the interstate up to 70mph and called the wife. The volume picked up on the set and the call was really clear. Asked the wife how it sounded and she said it had none of the noise the old one did. Speach from the Zumo was clear adn good for directions.

So for the first day trial all is well.

• Member Contributer

Bluetooth should NOT suffer these kinds of problems. It uses Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) which means that the transmitter is constantly randomly hopping between a number of channels. This is the same for everyone else using Bluetooth in the vicinity.

So, if there every is any interference, you would barely notice it because they hop channels so fast any intereference is extremely temporary. The chance of you and somebody else in the vicinity using the same list of channels and hopping onto the exact same channel at the exact same time on a consistent basis (i.e. over multiple hops) is so rare it would be worth a mention on Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

Picked up SCALA G4 team set for $300 in October, me and a friend split it up, $150 each, there was 2 of everything in the box except the manual which I downloaded from Cardo website. Intercom on the G4 works up to 1 mile which is amazing but can only be connected to 3 other sets at same time.

My main reason for purchase was to be able to take calls while riding, I run my business entirely from the cell and like to take off for a ride while pretending to be working. Having to fit the ear buds under the helmet was tiresome and on the long rides they hurt my ears also having people waiting for me to put the helmet on and messing with wires got old. Although it took me a while to install this G4, pulling the helmet on now is a snap!

Have not been riding as much this fall for several reasons so I probably did less than 2000 miles with it , so far no issues. I only use it paired with my phone, t-mobile G2, which has excellent navigation feature so while I'm riding I have phone in my pocket or tank bag streaming music via Bluetooth, occasionally interrupted by GPS voice commands or phone calls. Battery seems to last forever, voice quality is great, not many people realize that I'm not in the shop.

FM is also great but seems a bit distracting having to scan the stations while riding. Overall this is a great addition to my riding gear, not to much safety but a piece of mind that I can take a call without having to pull over.

That's a sweet deal on the G4, very sweet! I thought the were closer to $500.

Being a small business owner I'm all about buying local and supporting brick and mortar places, but i'm broke and can't justify paying $200 mark-up so I went to fleaBay, here's a link to team set Pro from same place I got mine form, they currently don't list any G4's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cardo-Scala-Rider-TeamSet-Bluetooth-Motorcycle-Intercom-/190466967476?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item2c58b747b4

here's G4 for $280 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCALA-RIDER-G4-POWERSET-BLUETOOTH-BIKE-BIKE-INTERCOMM-/270686747322?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item3f062ffaba

Do you wear a full face? Is there any interference issues with the mike?

There is a bit of an issue for me, I have a Shoei head (long oval) but currently have an Arai Corsair 7, it was free, long story, but basically my Shoei no longer roadworthy and Arai has less room on the front so I have to tuck the mike in the chin spoiler. It fits no problem with Shoei but like I said, using Arai for now...

IMG_20110102_203625.jpg

• Member Contributer

You can get the G4 without the mic boom, and with a chin guard mic, so it can easily fit in the full-face helmet chin guard.

Archived