Garage Heat...

Knife

• Member Contributer

For those of you who do winter projects in the garage or shed (e.g., Seb), how do you heat your garage or shed? I've got all kinds of things I want to do this winter, but the cold always seems to make me say, "maybe next weeK'. Recommendations are appreciated!

How big is your garage?

Mine is about 600sqft. When I moved in, it had a small woodstove in it. I got rid of that and replaced it with an oil fired hot air furnace that I got for free out of an old mobile home. That worked great until the firebox started to crack, and it was starting to put out some hefty fumes. So, this spring, I gave it the boot and bought one of these:

Mr.-Heater-Big-Maxx-45000-BTU-Propane-Unit-Heater.jpg

It's a propane fired unit, and hangs from the ceiling, so I gained a lot of floor space back. To be honest, I need to get off my azz and get it set up, I haven't hung it up yet and am using a small kero salamander for the time being.

• Member Contributer

I use a kerosene salamander. It is noisy and needs a fair amount of floor space. My garage is well insulated though, and I find I can pre-heat before I start work. This allows me to shut it off when I'm working. I do need to fire it up for a few minutes every hour to keep things comfortable.

• Member Contributer

For this year, I'm still running the propane powered unit that mounts to a 20lbs BBQ tank. But I'm not sure how well its going to work. Old house only had a single car garage, new house has a double car with an extra 8 feet or so in front of the car area so its amost 3 times what I had at the old house, and the old house had a brand new double insulated door, new one has got the old wooden doors from 20 years ago when the house was built.

I'm putting in a unit next year like that one Seb posted but its Gas fired, my boss has one and it works super, and cost amost nothing to run. Unit is about $600 but thats here in Canada where everything seems to cost 50% more for no reason. He leaves his set at 50° all the time that tools stay some what warm as well.

Archived