3/4-length boot recommendations?

Belfry

• Member Contributer

The soles of my favorite 3/4-length boots (a seven-year-old pair of Irish Setter hunting boots), disintegrated after my last ride! Uppers were fine, but soles were the bonded on type so I tossed them.

I'm looking for a replacement pair of motorcycle-specific boots and was wondering if anyone has a pair they love?

My criteria:

* Protective but not too heavy or stiff

* Water resistant

* Don't look like elf boots ( I stole that from another post :fing02: )

* Don't look like they fell out of a UFO (like some MX boots...)

Maybe something like the Tour Master Response SC? Anyone have a pair of those?

I'm willing to pay more for a good boot.

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of Icon Accelerants............very comfortable, fairly light and reasonably protective. They're a little warm when temps are in the 80+ range (what isn't?), but so far the waterproof claim has held true. The Tourmasters you linked to look nice for the price too.

I have been very, very pleased with these:

Thor 50/50 Boots...they are 90 percent waterproof, wear like steel and are comfy to walk in. I left 'em in Holland, so its time for a second set.

2010-Thor-Motocross-50-50-Boots.jpg

Thor-50-50-boot.jpg

......and on my feet after 2 years of abuse:

063.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have about 5,000 miles on my Alpinestars Ridge Waterproof Boots and love them.

Rode through 2+ hours of torrential rain, and I can vouch for their waterproofitude.

A little warm in summer, but when I get home after a commute in 105F heat, they are not the first thing I feel like I want/need to shed.

The only fastening is velco, though, and a lot of it - so discreet they ain't. If you are not trying to put them on while your wife and kids are sleeping, or trying to sneak out of work early, this may not matter to you. :491:

2009_Alpinestars_Ridge_Waterproof_Boot_Black.jpg

• Member Contributer

I bought these Alpinestars S-MX Riding shoes/boots from Newenough the beginning of last month. They are very comfortable, stable and pretty waterproof (tested in 50 miles of downpour type rain).

Very easy on/off and don't look too cartoonish if ya know what I mean.

front.jpg

black.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thor 50/50 Boots...they are 90 percent waterproof, wear like steel and are comfy to walk in. I left 'em in Holland, so its time for a second set.

Those look pretty cool - do ya mind telling us what brand/model? :491:

• Member Contributer

Uhhh... He said Thor 50/50 boots.

That might be, but he didn't put it in bald print, nor did he write it in red

• Member Contributer

Those look pretty cool - do ya mind telling us what brand/model? :happy:

That might be, but he didn't put it in bald print, nor did he write it in red

Just trying to help.

I have about 5,000 miles on my Alpinestars Ridge Waterproof Boots and love them.

Rode through 2+ hours of torrential rain, and I can vouch for their waterproofitude.

A little warm in summer, but when I get home after a commute in 105F heat, they are not the first thing I feel like I want/need to shed.

The only fastening is velco, though, and a lot of it - so discreet they ain't. If you are not trying to put them on while your wife and kids are sleeping, or trying to sneak out of work early, this may not matter to you. :happy:

2009_Alpinestars_Ridge_Waterproof_Boot_Black.jpg

+1 on the Alpinestars Ridge. I've had my pair for about 5 years/13,000 miles, and they have been very good. The soles are still in great shape and they are pretty comfortable off the bike. They don't look cartoonish, but they aren't going to be confused with Allen Edmund's either. I can also attest to their waterproof-ness; never had wet feet except when the rain came in over the top of the boot. Hope this helps.

David

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Another big PLUS ONE to the Icon Accelerant boots. Extremely comfortable (easily the most comfortable footwear I own), lightweight, not stupid looking, good protection for the style of boot, and good for walking around in.

The only bad part is the the soles are bright red, but that only matters when you're riding.

Archived