Spiral Hwy, Lolo, Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon, Hells Canyon... This trip had it all!!!

• Member Contributer

Well done those men ... you lucky lucky skunks! :fing02:

Such nice looking roads ... and the weather looked to be sensational.

Interesting mix of bikes ... was there any swapping going on?

• Member Contributer

I rode my buddies Vstrom for a stretch and it was nice. Way too comfy for how capable the bike is! Those skinny tires are great for corners. Makes me wonder about a 170 rear tire!

• Member Contributer

I rode my buddies Vstrom for a stretch and it was nice. Way too comfy for how capable the bike is! Those skinny tires are great for corners. ....

Cool ... my riding mates and I inevitably get stuck in to some bike swapping and I reckon it really adds to a day's riding.

Mind, we've all been riding together for several years and trust each other that:

a. our bikes are in decent condition,

b. our insurance is all paid-up, and

c. we're not going to completely "pin our ears back" when riding someone else's bike!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Enjoyed your thread, thanks for sharing. One of these days I hope to be able to make a similar trip.

That would be a perfect trip from where you live. You could head north through Zion National park, Bryce Canyon, The salt flats, etc. All you need is 7-8 days!

Enjoyed your thread, thanks for sharing. One of these days I hope to be able to make a similar trip.

That would be a perfect trip from where you live. You could head north through Zion National park, Bryce Canyon, The salt flats, etc. All you need is 7-8 days!

One can dream, and you guys really do inspire me.

When I bought my VFR, I thought I would use it for just this kind of trip. It turned out to be a torture-rack for me. I changed the seat, and worked on my conditioning, but never could get comfortable on it ... seemed like it just didn't fit right (I'm 5'10", 200lbs, and in decent shape). Loved the bike, but after a few hours, all I wanted was off the damn thing. It established a pattern of only going out for the afternoon, so I ended up trading it for a more "spirited" bike for all the fun roads in my area (Texas Hill Country).

I'm much more comfortable on my CBR as strange as that my sound, but I'm 50 years old and don't want to take it on a long road trip. So I'm kind of stuck on what bike to get for trips:

My VFR is still sitting at the dealer and I could buy it back for a good price and mod it out completely: helibars, windscreen, etc...

Sat on a Kawi C14, and a ST1300, but they just kinda felt like a big VFR.

You've got me thinking about the Vstrom ... but damn that thing is ugly!

Oh, and I'm hanging out on the VFR site when I don't even have one anymore because you guys are cool and helpful. Bunch of Joe-Racers and "if you ain't me you're a squid" type jackasses on the CBR forums! Some of those guys make me ashamed to even own a sportbike.

• Member Contributer

It REALLY pains me to say this but test ride a Vstrom. You do sound like a perfect candidate for it. It's looks are horrific and children cry when they see it, but for the rider it is a good bike.

I am going to stand in the corner now.

Archived