Custom rear brake line.

Kel

Question

• Member Contributer

I want to run my rear brake line through the swingarm. I want to make my own line and need hose and connectors/banjo's. Anyone have a cheap source with part numbers?

16 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

Cool. I was in there setting up my order but thought it was getting up there for 2 fittings and 5ft of hose. Had to go back in your post to see you used steel fittings not SS and that was the difference in price. Just ordered all the stuff. Again with the waiting!

want to do this "sick" mod this winter and looks doable for me but one question? the junction block under the seat where the short rear brake line looks to be a permanent part of the block, is it? u say in this step use a 10mm wrench is that for removing the metal line that runs out the side and after that how does the new set up connect!!!!!

want to do this "sick" mod this winter and looks doable for me but one question? the junction block under the seat where the short rear brake line looks to be a permanent part of the block, is it? u say in this step use a 10mm wrench is that for removing the metal line that runs out the side and after that how does the new set up connect!!!!!

The stock bake line has a threaded end vs a banjo bolt on that end; it threads into that block. So, when you build your new line, you simply build it with a threaded fitting instead of a banjo hose end. :fing02:

The stock bake line has a threaded end vs a banjo bolt on that end; it threads into that block. So, when you build your new line, you simply build it with a threaded fitting instead of a banjo hose end. :fing02:

ps - there's a parts list in that thread :fing02:

ps - there's a parts list in that thread :fing02:

the parts list is everything i'll need? any surprize parts involved!!! plus "if u had to do this again" what's Earl's part# for those -3 straight banjos at the caliper? sorry for all the questions just want to get everything inline for this mod because breaking down my swing arm for "powder coating" after my next ride and this is major surgery for me!!!!!

The straight banjos are #600703.

No other surprise parts. Watch the line assembly videos on anplumbing.com - you'll need a flat surface, hammer, and sharp chisel to cut the line. That's all for parts though.

thanks, u have alot of triffic on this mod and this weekend i will read all forums on it and hone in on problems that may come up. i know everyone does things differently and own ideas but your set up is base to start from!!!!! thanks again.

• Member Contributer

I'm the guy whose bike Seb ran the brake line through the swing arm. He did a fantastic job.

I was with Seb when he did it and I can only think of a couple things he said he'd do differently. First, he said he'd drill the new hole at an angle and not straight up. This would not only make it easier to slip the brake line out of the swing arm but you wouldn't have to worry about the hole's edges rubbing up against the brake line. Second, as a precautionary measure, find some way to to vacuum out any metal shavings that may have gotten into the swing arm. As for cutting the brake line, maybe put a cutting wheel onto a dremel and cut it that way?

P.S. I've put over 22k miles on my VFR since he did the job. As expected, it's as good now as the day he did it. :fing02:

I did my conversion last week on my 2006. Pretty much followed the instructions here. I did have a local shop mount the straight banjo and the straight female fitting on 6 ft of hose. I purchased 2 20 degree banjos.

I simply cut the hose to length and fished it though the swingarm. Drilled holes as per instructions. The fishing of the SS line is a pain though. Mounted my 20 degree banjos.

I bent the banjos more as well as the straight fitting that mounts by battery. It needed to be bent down 10 degrees to clear a small bracked.

As far as the straight female fitting, the old hose had a block that has a screw through it to to mount to a small bracket. The line attached to a male line from the rear brake master cylinder. When I mounted the SS line to the metal line I zipped both to the bracket. Did anyone disconnect the metal line at the manifold and attach the SS line there?

I blew out the swingarm with an air hose.

I still haven't worked out the grommets for the drill holes though. I think the SS brake line, if not covered will , cut the swingarm. That SS is much harder than the soft Swing Arm. Any suggestion on the grommet issue?

Carb cleaner made the swingarm look better than new. Complete deal looks very shop.

Archived