Mid TN Ride

• Member Contributer

Hey Folks,

I figured I'd give a quick ride report and road update from our ride yesterday. RC26RC46 and I met up in downtown Franklin and headed out for the country roads. Roads were still a little wet from some morning rain, but the 50% chance of thunderstorms turned into 100% fun. We headed up and over the "mountain" on Old Berry's Chapel Rd and slipped around the back way to the beginning of the Natchez Trace Parkway going past the famous LoveLess Cafe. Lots of wildlife out and about so we had to keep a sharp lookout for Turkeys, Deer, and the occasional Road Hog. One particularly boorish fellow felt his Hummer deserved his lane and mine as he crossed an overpass that was having road work done while passing a car and entering into a turn... pretty much a trifecta on things you shouldn't do. He would have made a hood ornament out of me if I hadn't been sharp! "The Trace" was beautiful as always, one of the best roads around, but as BR has pointed out and I can confirm... it is heavily patrolled; although, on Saturday we didn't pass or see any LEOs on the Trace. Road is in good condition, but there is road work being done on the Southern end with the asphalt grooved for resurfacing on the 20' approaching and leaving the overpasses and one section where 840 will cross has a highway flyover being constructed.

We got of the Trace at highway 50 and pulled over for a map check, snapped a shot, and saw and gave a wave to a trio of VFRs heading East and jumping on the Trace... anyone from here?

gallery_19432_5166_366518.jpg

Rush+RC_at_Natchez_Trail_Head.jpg

From there we follwed BR's advice and jumped on 247 and enjoyed a great ride through the valley and around some old homesteads... road was in good shape and only had a couple of spots with dirt and/or gravel pulled onto the road, never in any turns. One spot did have a stream overpass with construction and the associated decrease in speed limit... probably due to flood damage back in May. At the zig-zag continuation of 247 at highway 7 the highway section was open, but no traffic was going either way except staying on 247... the rest of 7 was closed. We continued on 247 (thanks for the heads up on this great road BR :fing02: ) and ran into 246, another decent country highway that we followed around to Southall Rd and up to the famous Puckett's of Leipers Fork. No time to eat, thunderheads rolling in and so far we have stayed dry... except for the drenching sweat when stopped in the 97 degree heat.

We rolled from Puckett's on 46 (Old Hillsboro Rd) down towards 96 and ran into a Moto Guzzi 1100 on the side of the road... pulled a quick u-turn to make sure he was OK. Josh, on the Guzzi, was riding solo and he was fine... just checking his cell phone; but, his was real appreciative that a couple of VFRs would swing around and check on him to make sure he wasn't stuck. He followed us over to the Trace highway 96 flyover bridge where he headed on his way... with a sweet Guzzi growl of his exhaust and RC & I stopped for another photo op...

gallery_19432_5166_120946.jpg

Rush2112+RC26RC46_at_The_Trace.jpg

As we saddled up a family in a mini van pulled up and let there youngins' out for a run and they went towards the bridge then saw the bikes and made a beeline for us... cute kids, we exchanged thumbs up and they said they liked the yellow one... kids are so smart!

I promised RC I'd show him a back way to Smyrna along some nice country roads so we headed back through Franklin on 96... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh!! Traffic & HEAT!!! Outside air at 97 degrees with high humidity, bike got up to 227 before we finally got moving. Ran into that issue where the bike can't cool unless you get up past 40 mph so the air can push past the running fan... might try that VTR fan swap. Well, we got to my start of the backway across to Murfreesboro and ran into another closed road, Clovercroft Rd is closed due to flood damage. So we turned it around and RC headed back to the 'Boro on 96 and I headed back for one more little mountain pass over Old Berry's Chapel Rd

:squid:

RC, I hope your luck held out and you made it back ahead of those storms. I think we did a decent job of scrubbing in those new Angels and if you need any help setting the sag on your bike let me know (there's lots of info here on VFRD). I had a great time and hopefully, next time we can get a few more riders out there and make a day of it. Nice meeting you and I look forward to doing it again real soon.

:goofy:

Very cool and nice write up! :fing02:

Sorry I missed it and and there are Many more roads out there that I don't actually know the name of, but I sure know where they are and hope to be able to show some of you guys next time! :squid: !

BR

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a fun day.

Saturday, I went for a spin and ran into some hard rain. Just kept going since I haven't melted yet. About 5 Hogley Davidsons were stopped in the downpour just standing around and one of the riders was putting on a rainsuit. About a mile down the road, it quit raining, the sun was out and the road was completely dry. Had to laugh at that one..... :fing02:

Sounds like a fun day.

Saturday, I went for a spin and ran into some hard rain. Just kept going since I haven't melted yet. About 5 Hogley Davidsons were stopped in the downpour just standing around and one of the riders was putting on a rainsuit. About a mile down the road, it quit raining, the sun was out and the road was completely dry. Had to laugh at that one..... :fing02:

Always a toughy aint it Bent, to DAWN or not DAWN the rain gear, so much easier in the winter

Guest RC26RC46

Thanks for showing me around Rush. Sweet ride. The Trace is the best road I have seen in Middle TN. :cheerleader:

It would be great to get a few more out together and make a day of it. Keep me in the loop! :musik20:

Rush, I would be lying if I said I got home dry :dry:

But, by then the Angels were good and sticky and the bike and I were looking for some extra coolant.

Hey God, thank you for giving me a free wash on the way back home. Also thank you for not hitting me with that lightning at the stop light. +1.gif

Lets do it again soon!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for showing me around Rush. Sweet ride. The Trace is the best road I have seen in Middle TN. :fing02:

It would be great to get a few more out together and make a day of it. Keep me in the loop! :goofy:

Rush, I would be lying if I said I got home dry :dry:

But, by then the Angels were good and sticky and the bike and I were looking for some extra coolant.

Hey God, thank you for giving me a free wash on the way back home. Also thank you for not hitting me with that lightning at the stop light. +1.gif

Lets do it again soon!

RC,

Glad you got home OK... and honestly, staying dry is preferred, but the rain and cool off would have been welcome too. How did the Angels feel in the wet? Glad we got them scrubbed in before hitting wet roads...

I'm out of town next weekend, but I'm looking forward to the next mid state ride... and I agree, the more the merrier!!!

Cheers until next time :goofy: ... and don't be too hard on the college girls; remember, they just want to have fun!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Sorry I missed it and and there are Many more roads out there that I don't actually know the name of, but I sure know where they are and hope to be able to show some of you guys next time! :blush: !

Thanks BR... and I can't wait till next time to learn more roads!!!

:beer:

Did you ever get your bike parts?

Sorry I missed it and and there are Many more roads out there that I don't actually know the name of, but I sure know where they are and hope to be able to show some of you guys next time! :blush: !

Thanks BR... and I can't wait till next time to learn more roads!!!

:beer:

Did you ever get your bike parts?

Not yet! :dry:

Archived