Delkevic midpipe

jaimev34

• Member Contributer

I just bought one to go with my 2 Bros canister. I was having fitment problems with the 2 Bros midpipe, and I butchered the hell out of it. So, after looking around, I bought a Delkevic standard mount midpipe for $45. I'm not sure how well the midpipe and the canister will fit. If it doesn't fill well, I'll just have a section of the 2 Bros midpipe welded to the Delk mid (after cutting off a section of that pipe, of course).

Just wanted to let you all know of this option.

Just so your aware, 2Bros made two different sizes of Mid/S-pipes both Low/Standard & High pipe. One size fits all stock VFR headers and the other fits 2Bros Headers Only. They will NOT interchange!!! :cool:

Dose Delvic make a High S/Mid pipe also?

BR

PS it's not an option until you try it and it works! :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Just so your aware, 2Bros made two different sizes of Mid/S-pipes both Low/Standard & High pipe. One size fits all stock VFR headers and the other fits 2Bros Headers Only. They will NOT interchange!!! :ohmy:

BR

PS it's not an option until you try it and it works! :491:

I must have had a midpipe for the 2 Bros headers cuz it didn't fit well at all. Very tight fit. I bought the bike with the 2 Bros already installed, and I don't think the guy I bought it from did any maintenance work himself. The canister is all scratched up from rubbing against the passenger footpeg holder because since the midpipe didn't go in as far as the stocker, the canister didn't go in far enough either. You'd think the mechanic who worked on the bike and installed the slip on would have said something about the part not fitting.

Delkevic does not make a highmount midpipe. At least that's what the guy on the phone said.

How about a possible option?

Just so your aware, 2Bros made two different sizes of Mid/S-pipes both Low/Standard & High pipe. One size fits all stock VFR headers and the other fits 2Bros Headers Only. They will NOT interchange!!! :fing02:

BR

PS it's not an option until you try it and it works! :fing02:

I must have had a midpipe for the 2 Bros headers cuz it didn't fit well at all. Very tight fit. I bought the bike with the 2 Bros already installed,

The mid/S-pipe for the 2Bros header have a larger size tube and the connection is at a slightly different angle than stock!

If it works at all I doubt it is for a 2bros header, just a bad install job! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Just so your aware, 2Bros made two different sizes of Mid/S-pipes both Low/Standard & High pipe. One size fits all stock VFR headers and the other fits 2Bros Headers Only. They will NOT interchange!!! :fing02:

BR

PS it's not an option until you try it and it works! :fing02:

I must have had a midpipe for the 2 Bros headers cuz it didn't fit well at all. Very tight fit. I bought the bike with the 2 Bros already installed,

The mid/S-pipe for the 2Bros header have a larger size tube and the connection is at a slightly different angle than stock!

If it works at all I doubt it is for a 2bros header, just a bad install job! :biggrin:

What's there to install? It's an easy job. Maybe something's wrong with my header pipe diameter because about 4 months ago I bought a Hindle highmount midpipe to connect to my canister and it didn't accept my header pipe. It would barely slide over it; I got maybe a quarter inch of the midpipe over the header pipe, and this Hindle highmount was made for a VFR! If the Delkevic midpipe doesn't fit over my header pipe, that would further prove that something's up with my header pipe. No one else seems to be having these problems with their midpipes.

• Member Contributer

Are your headers mild steel or SS? Does it have a large collector or neatly tucked 4 into 1? If they are neatly tucked 4 into one, then you have a TB header and no other aftermarket up pipe or even OEM can will fit.

• Member Contributer

Are your headers mild steel or SS? Does it have a large collector or neatly tucked 4 into 1? If they are neatly tucked 4 into one, then you have a TB header and no other aftermarket up pipe or even OEM can will fit.

It has a collector, so I believe it's oem.

• Member Contributer

Got the midpipe in today. It fits a little better than my 2 Bros midpipe, but it's about 1-2 mm smaller in diameter where it fits into the canister. It's got a little bit of play. Any suggestions in what I can put in there to make the fitment more snug? I'm thinking some kind of high temp. sealant or some of that expanding foam. Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!!

• Member Contributer

Just got back from Pepboys for some bulbs for my GF's car. While there I looked for stuff that might do the job. Saw some metal epoxy. I don't mind if the canister and midpipe are permanently connected: it would be just like the stocker. Would something like this work?

Got the midpipe in today. It fits a little better than my 2 Bros midpipe, but it's about 1-2 mm smaller in diameter where it fits into the canister. It's got a little bit of play. Any suggestions in what I can put in there to make the fitment more snug? I'm thinking some kind of high temp. sealant or some of that expanding foam. Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!!

Take the midpipe and the canister over to a full-service exhaust shop, and have them put the midpipe on their bending machine.

They have a fixture on the machine specially for expanding pipe from the inside-out and can tweak it ever so slightly larger to fit into your canister better.

Then, use some red hi-temp silicone to put them together on the bike.

Just got back from Pepboys for some bulbs for my GF's car. While there I looked for stuff that might do the job. Saw some metal epoxy. I don't mind if the canister and midpipe are permanently connected: it would be just like the stocker. Would something like this work?

I wouldn't go this route. See my reply above.

Take the midpipe and the canister over to a full-service exhaust shop, and have them put the midpipe on their bending machine.

They have a fixture on the machine specially for expanding pipe from the inside-out and can tweak it ever so slightly larger to fit into your canister better.

THIS! ^^^^ Try Midas or Meineke.

I wouldn't go this route. See my reply above.

+1

• Member Contributer

Thanks!!

Good idea! Thanks!!

THIS! ^^^^ Try Midas or Meineke.

Looking for exhaust shops in my area. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I ended up going to another welding and fabrication shop (Accuweld in Oceanside, Ca - Awesome!!) to have the section of the 2Bros midpipe that goes into the canister welded onto the Delkevic midpipe. I had them cut off the same-sized section off the Delk midpipe first. The finished product is awesome. I had them polish it too. All for $30!! The weld is about 2-3mm thick and extremely clean. I applied a bead Permatex Red high-temp sealant near the tip of the midpipe before sliding it into the canister. Tightened up the clamp on the midpipe over the header pipe. Let it sit for 24 hrs so the sealant would dry. Started her up yesterday night. No leaks. Better than before.

So, in the end, Delkevic midpipes aren't exactly the right size for a 2bros canister, but in this case I made it work. I learned something interesting during this journey when I called 2Bros to price a replacement midpipe. The sales guy said that some VFR owners have had problems with their 2Bros midpipes and canisters evently changing diameters slightly due to the heat, and that 2Bros recommends sending them your exhausts to be refitted every 3 years or so, or until it becomes a problem. I don't know if this is common, but what an inconvenience.

Archived