Tales of SPOT

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

Well now here we go again. More Tales. I just bought a Spot II…the Satellite GPS Messenger.

On my tours out West it is not uncommon that I am out of the cell coverage. This one shot comes to mind…on the way to Death Valley.

2430680950099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

On another occasion I was following a R6 thru some twisty sections near my home and he went off the road over a bank and then into a tree. Fortunately as I was one corner behind, I saw the dust bloom and pulled over. Of course there was no cell coverage! After another traveler saw my bike and stopped to assist; I rode up the road to call 911. The rider is ok ….now.

And there are the threads about the missing lone rider who just disappears and is found six months later. Sometimes I even hesitate to read these stories as ……………..does this happen to you tooooo. Kind of an Ostrich thing I think.

A myth too but………..a good Tale.

myths-ngk0607-ostrich_15128_470x300.jpg

Therefore my goal is for a device to provide location or tracking information to my bride, relatives and friends as well as to provide lat/long coordinate information and notice to emergency personnel.

Seems like I had a couple of choices. The much discussed SPOT locator or a proper PLB (Personnel location beacon) system. I also looked at a corporate thingy from Garmin which attaches to the Zumo series which is used in some fleet systems but they do not sell individual applications of the device. So there you have it; two GPS systems or would that be three with my phone.

This winter I had a chance to attend the Outdoor Retailer Trade Show in Salt Lake City. You can ski in Salt Lake too. I spent a long time in the Spot and ACR Electronics booths talking to the staff…explaining my needs and listening to the pro and cons of the respective systems. Of course one can read the thread in advrider which goes on ad nauseam with the normal histrionics.

Here are the devices:

Spot II

38530229-ed31-4bc7-8597-c8bfe513df2f.jpg

SPOT II info from REI

ACR or PLB ....one of several devices they sell.

fc112b78-a0da-42a2-8d2a-43d7c195dfec.jpg

ACR info

I decided on the Spot as they had just released an updated and more refined version the Spot II. The introduction was a disaster as there was an instant recall and a PR nightmare. More about that later.

But before I pulled the trigger I went in late February to Big Bend Texas with a LD rider who rode 92k miles last year. He uses a Spot I. My wife was delighted to see our tracks on Google maps and follow the entire trip. The OK signals at the start and end of each day were really all she needed to keep on shopping without concern. This is the kind of buy in a guy needs. The communication became even more important as BB National Park is in a virtual cell hole.

Especially here at the Southeast corner on the Rio Grande River:

2461516460099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

On the way back as I was coaxing big miles out of my tank in West Texas.................I wondered who would see me ...ever again. Decision confirmed...now do it!

2642042370099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

And then there was the whole summer Alaska trip.............and a review of the Verizon coverage. Lots of white out there ...not snow but communications no man's land.

Next - Why the Spot won out and setting up the device.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I own and use a SPOT II and found it to be quite useful.

You pay extra for the TRACKING feature, but in my situation I believe it's worth the $49.99 per year fee.

I have other sources for the roadside assistance, so I didn't add that $30.00 feature.

The product works as it's described in the manufacturers information and I have NOT had any problems. As perviously stated the recall for this device was a trainwreck. Take a look at the "reviews" or a thread on another forum and you'll find that a lot of people were unhappy with the service (lack there of) when the recall was in effect. I was able to call customer service and verify that my NEW SPOT II was in fact free of defects with a quick check of the serial number. I did keep all the packaging and information in case the whole thing had to go back. I also made the choice to purchase at CABELA's outdoor store since they have a very supportive return department.

The Spot II fits into the pocket on my jacket - left arm and the signal has a clear view of the sky. I may mount the unit on the bike, but that might be a mistake if I'm thrown in an accident and separated from the unit (and the bike). Another good reason to keep your cell phone WITH YOU and not in the tank bag or the luggage.

RAM makes a great mount that is very secure. The arm band that came with the Spot II is OK... but not to my liking.

It works. My girlfriend can track my progress on long trips and her peace of mind is assured. The buttons are a little difficult to operate, but there are not going to be any accidental signals. With a gloved hand I have to press hard to activate my "all is OK" signal.

I guess we need some photos?

• Member Contributer

Solohvs ...you make some good points.

1. Because of the gen II Spot fiasco I was terrified of getting a defective unit. So I went to REI as there return policy is tops as well. This was important to me as the last thing I want is to be waiting on the mail if I returned the unit. My Alaska trip looms.

2. My unit did not track on my first trial run :beer: Not a good start especially as I had waited a long time to help ensure the quality issue was resolved.

3. After spending time with Spot on the phone WE determined it was the unit not operator error...ie ME!. Bless REI.....new unit in hand. It works...no questions asked. BTW trying to understand the spot Web site to control and configure the unit when the SPOT is not working is a nightmare.....very frustrating! And the freaking lights on the unit appeared to be testing just fine.

• Member Contributer
You pay extra for the TRACKING feature, but in my situation I believe it's worth the $49.99 per year fee.

I thought I read somewhere the fee is $99 a year.

• Member Contributer

The ACR device is probably the more reliable emergency rescue device as it goes directly out on the SAR frequency of 406mhz. The signal is very reliable I am told. But you have to turn it on and operate it!!!! Also the device is huge compared to the SPOT especially the newer SPOT II and is twice as expensive although the best annual service plan is less than half the cost but also offers considerably less services.

However the ACR does not offer the routine tracking option that the SPOT has. Plus the SPOT tracking feature regularly provides lat/long positions every ten minutes to whoever you want to follow your journeys...essentially unlimited folks can monitor your journey via the web. The bottom line is that you leave the SPOT on at all times (except at night as your position is already located). So if you ride into the ditch the device will continue transmitting your location ie you do not need to turn it on. If you are able you can also transmit various alerts...up to SOS etc.

There are several other communication possibilities with the Spot. All of lthese message options go thru the Globalstar satelite system. So the SPOT uses both the GPS and the Globalstar SAT systems. You can send unlimited OK message to up to 10 accounts (cell text and emails). I will find an example of a message later but basically is it a short message (that you can compose before hand on the Spot web site) which says basically I am OK (my Alaska trip will say for example "We are OK. Alaska 2010." ) plus it will give your lat/long and time plus a link to a Google Map where you can see the OK position on the map. You can send as many of these you want. For instance I will send OK when we leave in the morning (no bear attacks or severe HOs) and certainly another when we arrive at the day's destination. To send the non emergency OK message the unit must be on and then you just press welllllllllll ............the OK button. :laughing6-hehe: There has been some discussion already about the button pushing being a more deliberate process but for a guy who frequently sets off his car alarm in the garage just by taking the keys out of his pocket........ I like the idiot proof buttons and the SOS message even has a cover over it!.

The buttons were one of the improvements with the SPOT II. The SPOT I was bigger and had a less sensitive GPS receiver and some of the messaging was more archance. But the batteries lasted longer (AA versus AAA).

Feeling the pressure the ACR guys JUST offered a new service. There are two levels but the best level gives you an surprise surprise an OK option out to up to 5 email or txt accounts. OK plus position and time...which is all you really need to know.

So here are the message options:

1. OK ....already described

2. Another special message......I arrived at our special secret place whatever but again you have to compose beforehand on the SPot site. And if you already have Internet just send it rather than configure the Spot site and then send it via hte Spot.

3. Help.................broken down I need a pickup whatever....come get ME!!!! Most likely sent to folks who really love you and just love the whole MC gig!

3. SOS

All of the message options have a protocol procedure to ensure that there is a GPS signal and that there are multiple attempts to get the message out. This procedure is well described in the hard copy manual ...not much of anything else though.

Next More Setup Options

• Member Contributer

I thought I read somewhere the fee is $99 a year.

Tracking is $50 but there is a promotion going on so I paid nothing for that. So I paid the $99 and a few other goodies.

This really interests me....

What is the general consensus on the company? Will they still be around in 3 years or will this just be a useless device with no support due to bankruptcy?

• Member Contributer

This really interests me....

What is the general consensus on the company? Will they still be around in 3 years or will this just be a useless device with no support due to bankruptcy?

Well they seemed to have enough money to design and engineer a new version and then fix it. THis product has all kinds of applications for a hiker, MTB, boaters and of course MC folks. I seemed to remember actually they are part of a larger company but can not remeber what. I will have to check it out....maybe a Globalstar derivative.

:laughing6-hehe:

Here is what an OK message says...keep in mind you could write more stuff in the OK message: This message got out into email in about 90 seconds or so.

Todd Spot

Latitude:32.61795

Longitude:-116.93236

GPS location Date/Time:06/09/2010 17:01:13 PDT

Click the link below to see where I am located.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=32.61795,-116.93236&ll=32.61795,-116.93236&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Raising the safety factor for millions who step into the outdoors each year,

SPOT notifies friends and family or an international emergency rescue

coordination center with status messages based on situation and need. Ask for

Help (or SPOT Assist), Alert S.O.S., Check-In/OK and Track Progress-all with the

simple push of a button.

http://www.findmespot.com

Looking for a great way to share SPOT tracks and waypoints, stories and photos?

Head to http://www.spotadventures.com and see how users are creating their

adventures and sharing them!

• Member Contributer

I set up a tracking site, with a password, so my family could keep tabs on me. The level of anxiety seemed to be reduced and everyone is more relaxed when I take off for a few days. Except the dog. He still sits by the door and wait for me to come home and play "stick".

I was disappointed with the tracking at first since my previous travels did NOT suddenly appear. My Bad. The site will show only those locations AFTER the set up. Previous locations and routes will not appear. That makes sense. You can SORT each time the device was activated so one trip will NOT run into another.

The unit does NOT automatically update your location. It's tied in with each time you press the OK or Message buttons. I go about every ONE HOUR when I can remember. I can calculate the rate of travel as well as the actual locations AFTER the fact. I was there... but to see the route on a map is kinda neat. Wonder if you can copy it and then download to a GPS?

The messages are predetermined and you can certainly log in and change the text whenever you have internet access. The message goes to my girlfriend's phone and email as well as to my son. I can specify WHO gets the each message. I guess the Emergency Button has specific additional EMS and SAR messages as well as what I put in.

So far I've logged FOUR trips. The last one was almost 2000 miles.

No problems. I am delighted with what the Spot II does. And it does everything it said it would do. We really need photos - I'll work on that for tomorrow.

Ahhhh. I don't carry this thing everywhere I go. At some point in the future we'll ALL have "big brother" watching our every move, good or bad. For now it's all good.

• Member Contributer

Wow, I'm really ambivalent about this gadget. I've ridden for over 45 years, coast to coast and border to border, and never felt the need or desire for something like this. I guess I can see the nicer points of it, but I've just never felt I had to keep in touch so much I guess. I don't use a cell phone, twitter, facebook, etc., either though. For someone who has to touch base with people and let them know they are okay and they are where they should be I guess it has its place. A good idea I guess but just not for me. As a excellent safety line for hikers, out-of-bounds skiers, open sea boaters and the like though.

Different strokes for different folks.

• Member Contributer

I set up a tracking site, with a password, so my family could keep tabs on me. The level of anxiety seemed to be reduced and everyone is more relaxed when I take off for a few days. Except the dog. He still sits by the door and wait for me to come home and play "stick".

I was disappointed with the tracking at first since my previous travels did NOT suddenly appear. My Bad. The site will show only those locations AFTER the set up. Previous locations and routes will not appear. That makes sense. You can SORT each time the device was activated so one trip will NOT run into another.

The unit does NOT automatically update your location. It's tied in with each time you press the OK or Message buttons. I go about every ONE HOUR when I can remember. I can calculate the rate of travel as well as the actual locations AFTER the fact. I was there... but to see the route on a map is kinda neat. Wonder if you can copy it and then download to a GPS?

The messages are predetermined and you can certainly log in and change the text whenever you have internet access. The message goes to my girlfriend's phone and email as well as to my son. I can specify WHO gets the each message. I guess the Emergency Button has specific additional EMS and SAR messages as well as what I put in.

So far I've logged FOUR trips. The last one was almost 2000 miles.

No problems. I am delighted with what the Spot II does. And it does everything it said it would do. We really need photos - I'll work on that for tomorrow.

Ahhhh. I don't carry this thing everywhere I go. At some point in the future we'll ALL have "big brother" watching our every move, good or bad. For now it's all good.

Yea it is pretty easy to set up the site. You can password it or open it up to whoever you want. There are a bunch of options on how you set up the site.

As regards the auto tracking function you can do this in addition to the way you are doing it. By turning on the unit and also engaging the right button (boot tracks symbol) you enable auto tracking. Have to have the Tracking feature though $$$$.

38530229-ed31-4bc7-8597-c8bfe513df2f.jpg

This auto sends out your position every ten minutes. But if you want to mark a particular position your method is the best by far...as you know that a location is marked. In a way it would be equivalent to marking a waypoint on the go with a GPS.....great view, overlook or Top of MT ...whatever. Keep in mind you can not name a position folks just mark it so to speak.

You can see on these spot tracks the 10 minute track function in action. (Note these may be gone in a few days but I will post up another example soon). If he was sending out OK messages they also would be shown on this site.

Example Spot Tracks

As regards the tracks ...yes you can download them in GPX format to Mapsource and eventually a GPS or even Google Earth if you like. I have played with this already but it is not a slam dunk if you are doing lots of intricate exploring.

Now these tracks are no subsitute for a proper GPS track log as a GPS stores hundreds more points and with the latest GPS units record more when you need them. And with the Spot if you are doing a lot of turns you may not have an accurate picture of exactly where you went because in 10 minutes you could do a loop around a lake and be back before you send another position report.

• Member Contributer

Here is an example lifted from my Spot page with the Sat view of both a track point and an OK message. The points #27 & 28 are numbered. A direct line is normally drawn between the points as you can see in the previous example.

2245618650099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have tried the Spot in three locations.

1. In a RAM mount on the bike

2. In Jacket/jersey

3. OEM Spot Arm Band

Performance seems to be comparable. Don't think I have missed a single GPS signal. Most likely I will not mount in the Tank Bag for long trips as that will be full of crap ....and I still like to have a Map showing. The Spot II claims an improved GPS ant over the previousl generation. I would say that the Zumo Sirf chip is still better as I can pull in a signal indoors but less certain with the Spot II. But an improvement over the Spot I from everything I hear. GPS performance is important as often on tour I am in the trees, canyons etc. Spot recommends that the SPOT and GPS devices be separated a bit.

One advantage of a visible SPOT is that you can see it is working, messages going out ....and that it is turned on. Also if you want to mark a particular location it is right there.

2548662330099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

I tried a few setups on the Spot.

Center Tank mount.

2816317820099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I ended up using an old FRS radio holder instead of the RAM spot holder. THis way I can keep the SPOT protective case on and take advantage of the security clip as a second point of security.

Most likely for tour use I will keep the camera on the left grip, Zumo on the center and move the Spot to right clip on (RAM ball shown on the left fork here). I like being able to check the status of the machine. With the SPOT basically you turn it on in the morning and shut it off at night. I believe the buttons are too difficult to use on the move.....why anyway just another distraction.

2743930180099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

My first serious test of the Spot starts Saturday. Going to Alaska.

My tracks will be here tomorrow morning.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0uPFfkB7UJTqfZzf6tEhDkbZ62PMv6Epg

Hoping to meet up with a guy in Dawson City YK .....he has a Spot too so we will be monitoring our progress.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well my Spot worked flawlessly in Alaska.

I was a little worried about battery life on the smaller Spot II triple As but the life was pretty much up to spec.

Got about 6 days of 12 hour days on first batteries plus almost three weeks of partial testing leading up to the tour start etc.

12 days of 12 hours days on second set of batteries.

Still going on third set after 8 days of use.

When the batteries start to fade the on/off button blinks red. This is one advantage of seeing the unit instead of having it in a pocket. I found that you can get maybe 12 hours of tracking after that. THis test was on the Alaskan Ferry (part of return leg) so the unit was often working hard trying to receive and send a signal. The ferry was the only place where I had a problem with getting through unless of course I was topside. Best to change the juice really when the unit on/off button starts to blink red as you never know when you are going in the ditch.

On several days of the tour we were without any cell coverage so all "loved' ones really appreciated the OK messages we sent at the start and end of the ride everyday. Turns out quite a few were also following the Alaska adventure vicariously. I also had preprogrammed a special message when we made the ferry in Haines.

I still have to download my Spot Trackpoints and change my emergency/contact profiles for local San Diego use. The Spot website is a bit slow which can mean changing it during the trip can be be a bit of a pain on slow campground Wifi.

Here is the setup on the KLR. The distance between the Zumo and Spot was enough to prevent interference between the units.

2715733890099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Update on the Spot II.

I used it for a cross country trip but in a moving van. At least the AC worked.

Estimated battery life would be about 14 days of tracking and ok buttons (with best Lithium batteries) as long as you have a clear shot to the sky. Temps and the quality of LI batteries will of course impact life as well as leaving it on overnight in your tank bag when you forget about it.

Based on my recent tests you have about 2 days of tracking available (12 hour days) when the on/off light starts flashing red indicating low batteries. After that the unit just shuts off but you probably will loose tracking before that. For a motorcycle I would change the batteries when you pull in for the night so that you have some tracking time in case something untoward happens.

THe Spot website is greatly improved now and gives more options to setup and adjust profiles.

It even works when boating. Maybe even better as we were only going about 5 knots. Not sure how far out into the Pacific if works....not GPS satellites but Globalstar would be the issue.

2519527340099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Somehow.....This guy passed on ....V4 power I guess. Another crappy day in San Diego.

2316981970099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I will continue using the OK buttons at the start and end of the day ie departure and safe arrival. Here is an OK from Valdez AK. Having these emails in your own inbox (9 others can get the alerts) when you get back allows you to really zoom in to exactly where you were. You can really see why it was a big mistake to build old Valdez at the end of the Glacial run off on the right of the screen shot.

2661718970099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Henceforth I probably will be using the special message to indicate ...hey guys this location is special ....zoom in and get a good sat view of what you are missing. Glacier, Lake, Mt Range, Curvy road etc

PS In some remote areas you can not blow up the images to get fine detail but that is not a Spot problem.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Spot just announced another SPOT device at the CES show in Las Vegas - the Connect which links to a Droid/Iphone so you can use your Spot with your smartphone.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-20027126-283.html

Droid_Connect_610x407.jpg

Note sure it is better than a standalone unit but.............

• Member Contributer

Spot just announced another SPOT device at the CES show in Las Vegas - the Connect which links to a Droid/Iphone so you can use your Spot with your smartphone.

http://ces.cnet.com/...027126-283.html

Droid_Connect_610x407.jpg

Note sure it is better than a standalone unit but.............

Yes, I just saw that too. Seems a bit pricvey to me--but I'm turning out to be a cheap bastage nowadays... I'm sort of interested by this type of cheap insurance policy and way to keep my family informed when I go riding alone, so I'm going to try and keep an eye on it.

Is there anything else interesting out there for this purpose?

C

PS Speaking of which, anyone understand why we shouldn't buy a second-hand Spot device that has been previously activated? Is there no way to activate is a second time in our new location?

Is there anything else interesting out there for this purpose?

ACR Electronics makes a consumer EPIRB (PLB). http://www.acrelectronics.com The ACR Personal Locator Beacon is actually a more fail-safe product .... but it is a lot less user friendly.

ACR is more fail-safe due to the lower broadcast frequency used and power output. This power and frequency will allow for better foliage and weather penetration. The signal is also monitored by two seperate satellite constellations. The ACR unit can also be triangulated via satellite, thus allowing location if it should fail to make GPS contact. The ACR PLB also has a second broadcast frequency that is used as a homing beacon for properly equipped rescue personnel.

ACR is much less user friendly because the batteries are not user replaceable, larger physical size, higher cost, and lack of a "breadcrumb" trail feature and no "Check-In/OK" feature (until very recently). The new Check-In/OK feature is limited in the number of uses (due to non-user replaceable batteries), a notification list limited to 5, and is meant more as a "self test" feature.

Summary ---- If you are going to be riding and want some insurance that allows some small amount of communication with friends and relatives then the SPOT is for you.

If you are a person who absolutely wants the best possiblity of rescue response in an accicent, no matter where in the world, then the ACR unit is more purpose built for emergency notification. (ACR EPIRBs are used by pilots and sailing vessels the world over)

Personally, for the travelling I do the SPOT is a better choice. If I were going it alone on an epic journey with no set itenerary, crossing international borders in deep, dark jungles then the ACR unit would be a better choice.

Thanks to my Air Force radar technician friend, Karl, for sorting out all the freqency/power differences for me.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Lee. This is very interesting. I do think that the Spot or any other similar device would be better suited to my needs, but the info you provided is very interesting.

Thank you

C

One thing I forgot to mention is that ACR units do not require yearly subscription fees (unless you want the Check-In/OK functionality), so costs would be recovered yearly. If you just want emergency lifesaving response then the ACR unit is cost free after initial purchase.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Lee. This is very interesting. I do think that the Spot or any other similar device would be better suited to my needs, but the info you provided is very interesting.

Thank you

C

Not much has changed with the ACR since my discussion earlier. A very good option for pure emergency use. For me I am quite satisfied with the Spot II and Spot service. Not sure I lost any signals/position reports for my entire Alaska, BC and Yukon trip. I did not get a few tracks out on the Ferry on the way back but I was several decks down under real steel.

Smartphone apps are getting better but again you need a cell service unless you connect with the new Spot Connect announced at CES. Based on what I have read there is no reason for me to change to the Connect ...............even if I had a Smartphone. I like the standalone no hassle Spot.

Lots of folks buy a used Spot I and change the service with Spot. The first generation has better battery life but the GPS receiver is not as good so reception in heavy cover may not be as good.

So far so good and very handy if you are in remote areas without cell service which is what the West is all about.

Archived