Tales of SPOT

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

Thanks Lee. This is very interesting. I do think that the Spot or any other similar device would be better suited to my needs, but the info you provided is very interesting.

Thank you

C

Not much has changed with the ACR since my discussion earlier. A very good option for pure emergency use. For me I am quite satisfied with the Spot II and Spot service. Not sure I lost any signals/position reports for my entire Alaska, BC and Yukon trip. I did not get a few tracks out on the Ferry on the way back but I was several decks down under real steel.

Smartphone apps are getting better but again you need a cell service unless you connect with the new Spot Connect announced at CES. Based on what I have read there is no reason for me to change to the Connect ...............even if I had a Smartphone. I like the standalone no hassle Spot.

Lots of folks buy a used Spot I and change the service with Spot. The first generation has better battery life but the GPS receiver is not as good so reception in heavy cover may not be as good.

So far so good and very handy if you are in remote areas without cell service which is what the West is all about.

I checked with 2 local retailers here. They both currently carry the 1st Gen. Not to hard of a sell to the wife once I explained how it works/ what it does.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Thanks Lee. This is very interesting. I do think that the Spot or any other similar device would be better suited to my needs, but the info you provided is very interesting.

Thank you

C

Not much has changed with the ACR since my discussion earlier. A very good option for pure emergency use. For me I am quite satisfied with the Spot II and Spot service. Not sure I lost any signals/position reports for my entire Alaska, BC and Yukon trip. I did not get a few tracks out on the Ferry on the way back but I was several decks down under real steel.

Smartphone apps are getting better but again you need a cell service unless you connect with the new Spot Connect announced at CES. Based on what I have read there is no reason for me to change to the Connect ...............even if I had a Smartphone. I like the standalone no hassle Spot.

Lots of folks buy a used Spot I and change the service with Spot. The first generation has better battery life but the GPS receiver is not as good so reception in heavy cover may not be as good.

So far so good and very handy if you are in remote areas without cell service which is what the West is all about.

I checked with 2 local retailers here. They both currently carry the 1st Gen. Not to hard of a sell to the wife once I explained how it works/ what it does.

Hello Gerry,

How much if you don,t mind me asking? I probably wouldn't mind a 1st gen myself if it were cheaper and just for keeping domestic peace... This is the kind of stuff that gets you more kitchen passes... :happy: :blush:

C

• Member Contributer
'PolarBear' Hello Gerry,

How much if you don,t mind me asking? I probably wouldn't mind a 1st gen myself if it were cheaper and just for keeping domestic peace... This is the kind of stuff that gets you more kitchen passes... :happy: :blush:

C

C, thats the screwy part. 1st gen or 2nd gen is the same price @ $169.00 then your 99.00/year hook up. A buddy of mine is going to Calgary next week. His trip is work related and will see what some of the stores down there have. for the same price, I can wait for a 2nd Gen.

I will keep you posted.

Gerry

• Member Contributer

That's what I thought. You'd think that they'd want to clear them out, especially that they have pretty much the same functions, but I guess someone missed Business 101 in his training... :blink: I'm thinking about a used one for $50-60 (especially cause you still need to pay that $99/year) or so, but I'm still unsure about the possibility to activate of such device a second time.

C

• Member Contributer

I would not pay the same price for a Gen 1 or 2. There are several advantages of Gen 2 but battery life is not one of them. However from what I read there is not a flood of riders that want to get rid of the older version. The Spot II has been out since last spring so they should be available anywhere. I am surprised there are Gen Ones still available in the sales channel as I thought they had previously discounted them to move them out.

• Member Contributer

I got a call, the Gen 2 is at London drugs for $169.00. If I buy one, it will be the gen 2 and brand new.

• Member Contributer

I'm keeping an eye on a couple of auctions on Fleabay; if I can get a used Spot1 for $20 or so, I think it's probably good enough for me and I'll have money left over for cold barley soup at the end of the long rides for the Nelson trip next summer. :fing02:

Cheers :beer:

C

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Bought a Spot 2 today from Best Buy. A thanks to PolarBear who PM'd me a few days ago with a Price of $120.00 from Amazon.ca. I printed out the price, went into BB today and they matched the price. Bonus - They gave me an additional 10 % off.

My wife liked the idea as I am on the road for work / camping and of course the bike ride's.

• Member Contributer

Bought a Spot 2 today from Best Buy. A thanks to PolarBear who PM'd me a few days ago with a Price of $120.00 from Amazon.ca. I printed out the price, went into BB today and they matched the price. Bonus - They gave me an additional 10 % off.

My wife liked the idea as I am on the road for work / camping and of course the bike ride's.

That worked?!?!? :blink: I'M going to have to try that one day... Good for you to get one and with such a good discount!!! Now Big Brother will be watching you.... :biggrin:

Cheers man!

C

• Member Contributer

That worked?!?!? :blink: I'M going to have to try that one day... Good for you to get one and with such a good discount!!! Now Big Brother will be watching you.... :biggrin:

Cheers man!

C

Amazon.ca or com will not normaly work @ Best Buy. So, I told the young lad, that I can email GPS City for a price match, then bring that email to him if need be. click on anything at BB, right under their price is a Lowest Price Guarantee and 10%.

Big Brother is hooked to your Safeway card. just saying.

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

In addition to the SPOT Connect there is a new player, Delorme inReach, about to join the market. Looks interesting for you folks who want an emergency and tracking satellite device. More options out there!!!!! :cheerleader:

inreach_main_03.jpg

http://www.delorme.com/inreach/

My SPOT II continues to do the business. It has been as far south as Peru and up to Alaska. It keeps on ticking.

• Member Contributer

Used gen ! spot for years in the Gulf of Mexico,Laguna Madre and on road trips from Mo. to Oregon . Really nice to check in with family and friends with the email link to them showing the google map of my location at the end of the day. The unit NEVER failed to show my locale. People must have used the extraction policy because when I first used the unit the policy(from LLoyds oh London)was for 200K , now the policy is for 100K.

GET ONE if you travel alone!!!post-19304-0-96445700-1315594859_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

My first serious test of the Spot starts Saturday. Going to Alaska.

My tracks will be here tomorrow morning.

http://share.findmes...EhDkbZ62PMv6Epg

Hoping to meet up with a guy in Dawson City YK .....he has a Spot too so we will be monitoring our progress.

HEY YOUR SPOTLESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

My first serious test of the Spot starts Saturday. Going to Alaska.

My tracks will be here tomorrow morning.

http://share.findmes...EhDkbZ62PMv6Epg

Hoping to meet up with a guy in Dawson City YK .....he has a Spot too so we will be monitoring our progress.

HEY YOUR SPOTLESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea tracks only stay up on the site for about a week I think. One of these days I will have to fool around with SpotWalla which can store them longer. You can always download the SPOT site tracks to a GPX file for viewing later. But I have my GPS tracks for more detail anyway.

And the email OKs can be saved ...........forever. Valdez... one of the highlights.

2661718970099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Alaska 2010 was my first major tour with the SPOT...worked fantastic and was really helpful when out of cell coverage (maybe four days). Most of the time it even worked on the Ferry on the way back thru the Inland Passage.

Been busy this year with 4 MC tours plus a few other misc adventures.

Look for me in Utah one more time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bargain Alert!!! Best Buy has the silver version of the SPOT 2 Satellite GPS Messenger for $79.99 (about $70 off the going price). Far as I can discern, the unit is identical to the orange one, except for the color. (I read one opinion, that because SPOT is trying to market the unit to car drivers as a roadside assistance aid, that they came up with the silver color as a somewhat classier alternative to the orange one.)

I had been considering getting one, more for desert riding/hiking, than road riding, but think it be useful on the road, too. Though cell coverage is better than ever, I still ride solo for long stretches without cell coverage. I've ordered one and plan to also activate the tracking feature. (Also ordered a handlebar RAM mount off amazon.com.) That way, my wife can see where I've been, should I fail to check in. She is concerned about my solo desert riding on my KTM and I suppose she has a point. For those who hike or bike off-road, SPOT also offers SAR (Search and Rescue) insurance for $12.95 a year.

I'd like to know where most of you keep the device when riding. For me I try to keep it on the front of my body within reach of either arm. Logic being that 1) if it is on my bike and I cannot get to it, I'm screwed. 2) if it is in my camelback and I have a broken arm or dislocated shoulder, i'm screwed.

I have used SPOT for a couple of years (street and dirt rides). I LOVE the check-in feature. I enjoy talking to my wife, but not having to call every few hours sure eliminates other headaches that arise via casual conversations with the Mrs. :^)

Never had to use it for 911 but did use the special message once to let wife know I had a problem, would be delayed, did not need assistance, and would contact her when I get into cell coverage. Especially like to chart neat "rest" areas that I discover along the way.

• Member Contributer

I'd like to know where most of you keep the device when riding. For me I try to keep it on the front of my body within reach of either arm. Logic being that 1) if it is on my bike and I cannot get to it, I'm screwed. 2) if it is in my camelback and I have a broken arm or dislocated shoulder, i'm screwed.

I have used SPOT for a couple of years (street and dirt rides). I LOVE the check-in feature. I enjoy talking to my wife, but not having to call every few hours sure eliminates other headaches that arise via casual conversations with the Mrs. :^)

Never had to use it for 911 but did use the special message once to let wife know I had a problem, would be delayed, did not need assistance, and would contact her when I get into cell coverage. Especially like to chart neat "rest" areas that I discover along the way.

:goofy:

This being said, your question is a good one...

This deal is only valid in the USA from what I can say. C'mon Bestbuy, where's the love for Canadians?

C

I've been wrestling a bit with this, redrider. I read on some forum, where a (street) rider lost his SPOT from the supplied armband somewhere along the side of the road. Thought a handlebar RAM mount would be best for my enduro bike, as I felt it more likely to survive a crash attached to the bars, than attached to me. Having it close at hand does have its advantages, though. On the VFR, will probably try the armband or just sticking it in a pocket. Looks like one might be able to rig up a velcro strap to attach the included case to the bike?

• Member Contributer

I would be very weary of attaching it to me. Kinda like keeping keys in your pocket! They can stab you in case of a fall. Not to mention that in case of a good fall, you would probably destroy the unit. Seems it would be safer somewhere on the bike, somewhere safe (top box? saddle bag? tank bag?!?).

c

Here's another idea from a SPOT 2 review -- the reviewer uses a Pelican 1010 Micro Case. B&H Photo has them under $10. Waterproof and Pelican case tough. Maybe less likely to self destruct in a get-off.

• Member Contributer
I'd like to know where most of you keep the device when riding. For me I try to keep it on the front of my body within reach of either arm. Logic being that 1) if it is on my bike and I cannot get to it, I'm screwed. 2) if it is in my camelback and I have a broken arm or dislocated shoulder, i'm screwed. I have used SPOT for a couple of years (street and dirt rides). I LOVE the check-in feature. I enjoy talking to my wife, but not having to call every few hours sure eliminates other headaches that arise via casual conversations with the Mrs. :^) Never had to use it for 911 but did use the special message once to let wife know I had a problem, would be delayed, did not need assistance, and would contact her when I get into cell coverage. Especially like to chart neat "rest" areas that I discover along the way. .

There are lots of opinions on placement but the answer of course is "It depends"

Myself I prefer to mount it on the handlebars so I can see the buttons/lights. That way I can verify that the SPOT is working and tracking or that the batteries are fading and need replacement. If I get separated from the bike and can not reach the bike I know that the Tracking Feature has tracked me right into the "ditch". Eventually somebody will figure out where I left controlled flight! Lots of folks are following my travels on tour.

Having it in front of me also reminds riders such as myself to initiate OK messages when I start and end the daily ride. CRS is a problem for older/mature riders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use it for on and off road travels. Here you can see my Orange SPOT machine to the right on the handlebars.

2326801250099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's another idea from a SPOT 2 review -- the reviewer uses a Pelican 1010 Micro Case. B&H Photo has them under $10. Waterproof and Pelican case tough. Maybe less likely to self destruct in a get-off.

Based on my experience off road where my bike has taken several unscheduled naps I would not worry too much about damage to the SPOT, unless it sits on the end of the handlebars. The SPOT is waterproof and I tested this every day in Alaska in 2010 and also on a winter tour to Texas last year.

2444162410099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here I have it mounted on the center tank mount. I moved my GPS to the left handlebar. This is last summer at Stevens Pass in Washington State (where the big avalanch just occured).

2288930240099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

New SPOT 2 price for silver version @ Best Buy is $59.99. Normal price is $149.99. Just bought one for $79.99 through BB and they've dropped it again. (Will be requesting a price match.)

Keep in mind that SPOT requires an annual fee of $100, plus $50, if you want the tracking feature.

Archived