City Riding...Watch all intersections...cover front brake

DougFromIndy

• Member Contributer

Just a reminder here to really be hyper-alert, cover your brakes, and scan all intersections especially during CITY RIDING. I had a great ride today/tonight, about 250 miles on my dualsport, 95 Yamaha xt600e, gravel roads, twisties, fantastic evening. Well riding home about 45mph, just almost into an intersection...I have the GREEN light...well heres an ambulance hauling ass through the RED light...a good driver the ambulance pauses and toots the horn....I am riding city mode and paying bigtime attention...I grab a handful of brakes, nice front end dive from the "dullsport"....stop VERY QUICKLY...nowhere close to being out in the intersection...it was a SAFE, very quick stop, nobody behind me. NO CRASHES, NO DOWNED BIKE, NOBODY HURT, WAS WEARING ALL THE GEAR and PAYING EXTRA ATTENTION, SCANNING INTERSECTIONS, BRAKE COVERED...Was a first for me, ambulance on a speed run....my advice..expect the unexpected. IT WAS NOT EVEN A SCARY OR PUCKER MOMENT. GOOD NEWS

Good advice. :biggrin:

Now, where the heck are the twisties near Indianapolis? :blink: I'm from near there and can't recall seeing many interesting roads in central IN.

• Member Contributer

I got T-boned in January. Driving in a line of about 5 cars or so close to downtown doing about 25mph. 3/4 of the way through the intersection and he hit me right behind the passenger door(2-door car). He was playing with the GPS on his phone and blew through the light at about 35mph. Spun my car 180 and about 100 feet down the street. Around $11k to fix.

Lucky I was in the car.

Watch every intersection and stay alert.

• Member Contributer

Good advice. fing02.gif

Now, where the heck are the twisties near Indianapolis? huh.gif I'm from near there and can't recall seeing many interesting roads in central IN.

many great roads, 44 from 135 to Martinsville, then old 37 to uniondale? 45 east thru Helmsburg into Bean Blossum, great loop here.

• Member Contributer

Sure thing, uber vigilance required around the city, cover your brakes, watch your mirrors, scan intersections, head checks, and expect the unexpected.

I'm also in the almost involuntary habbit of stabing at the indicator deselector as I approach intersections (even side streets) to go straight - just to be sure that I haven't left the flasher on from the last turn.

Yep it's a bit OCD but I don't want a cager thinking that I'm turning when I'm actually going straight ahead. Caught myself more than once with the indicator still on when approaching an intersection.

Costs nothing ('cept wear on the button!) and you don't need to take your eyes from the road to add a tiny margin of safety to your ride.

• Forum CEO

Why is this thread not registering how many people are viewing it??? This is weird bug.

because that is cpu intensive and it slows downt the website its cached and updates at regular intervals instead

Archived