Motad header fitment

kaldek

For anyone who needs replacement downpipe header gaskets for their Motad system, they can be replaced using a Yamaha part! It's part number 3XW-14755-00-00

Good stuff mate.

• Member Contributer
For anyone who needs replacement downpipe header gaskets for their Motad system, they can be replaced using a Yamaha part! It's part number 3XW-14755-00-00

Good stuff mate.

It's worth adding that these fitted better than the gaskets provided by Motad too. I did however use an installation sequence this time, in order to reduce the risk of exhaust leaks. It goes like this:

• Mount rear header pipes to rear cylinder head, but do not tighten bolts - leave them very loose.
  • Maneuver the remaining header piece under the bike. Place a low jack under it but do not raise it yet.
  • Using a rounded file, slowly chamfer a lip onto the inside of the rear header downpipe gaskets so that the downpipes do not snag on the gaskets in the next step.
  • Carefully slip the main header piece onto the rear header downpipes. Ensure both pipes are fit snugly and seated deep into the main header piece.
  • Raise the jack to keep the headers locked together, then tighten the header clamps so that the rear downpipes and main header piece are held together well
  • Slightly lower the jack just enough to mate the front header pipes to the front cylinder head. Do not tighten the bolts here yet either.
  • Now begin to tighten all the header bolts, but do it bit-by-bit. Slightly tighten all rear header bolts, then slightly tighten the front header bolts. Repeat this process until all exhaust header bolts are tight
  • Remove jack, and you're done!

• Member Contributer

would you say that the motad headers were well crafted and worth the money?

Well, they were about $900 AUD which is pretty good for a set of headers. No complaints about quality, but they're nowhere near something like a set of lovingly crafted race headers. They're definitely nice enough to show off though. Motad themselves say they don't provide a performance boost. Personally I find them louder than stock and the midrange seems to have more immediate response.

For the sake of it alone, no it's probably not worth it. Unless you have the older non-stainless headers which rust.

Delkevic headers are a clone of the Motads, made in China, and are half the price. I think the only difference between the two would be welding quality and the fact that Motad line their headers with steel mesh to stop them from sounding harsh. They say it does not affect airflow.

would you say that the motad headers were well crafted and worth the money?

I dont know yet either, I havent started fitting them yet as I am waiting for a set of the Yamaha gaskets (thanks for the heads up Kal).

It depends on whether I have dramas or not.

It will be an interesting exercise for me as I am running the standard headers minus the CAT ATM, as to whether there is any gain at all, I think there should be as the extractor effect should be a lot better, but we will see.

I just noticed that you used hose clamps at your downpipe junction flanges near the RH footpeg.

Personally, I would look for something beefier with more clamping power.

Either paint and re-use the stock clamps, or go to a stainless steel band clamp.

112325912_T_bolt_duty_clamps_240.jpg

• Member Contributer
I just noticed that you used hose clamps at your downpipe junction flanges near the RH footpeg.

"Used" is the right word. You are right - they were useless - and I only had them on because the stock ones from Motad bent the clamp bolts and then stripped the threads! Eventually they sent me some replacements, but even those are made of soft steel and one of the bolts is already starting to bend with the amount I tightened it.

I could actually use some tough as nails replacements though if you have any to recommend.

mine came with mikalor clamps http://mikalor.it/english/alta2.html which are fairly readily available, but if you think they are not up to the job you could try some t-bolt clamps available at Blackwoods.

The main problem with using something heavy duty is the space constraints.

I think it may be possible to fabricate a support bracket using the mounting holes used to support the OEM headers to support the rear of the motad headers and thus reduce the load on the rear clamps.

I am going to give it a go anyway..

Archived