R/R Question: Do I need a new one?

afpierce489

So I was working on the bike last night and pulled off the rear fairings. I took a look at the R/R assembly and found what you see in the picture. There is the black gooy stuff that is seeping out of the R/R and it's dripped onto the frame. So it looks like things have gotten hot and started to melt. Does this mean that I need a new one? I'm going to try later on today to do the check that the Haynes manual tells me to do and I'll let everyone know the results. Someone let me know if I'm wasting my time doing the check. Thanks.

Adam

post-17667-126944924767_thumb.jpg

Yes, that R/R has heated up enough to either melt the potting substance on the back, or actually burned...you could flip it over to check. Now would also be a good time to go through the wiring and check all your connectors for heat damage as well as corrosion. The VFRness is a good ad-on if needed.

Yes, that R/R has heated up enough to either melt the potting substance on the back, or actually burned...you could flip it over to check. Now would also be a good time to go through the wiring and check all your connectors for heat damage as well as corrosion. The VFRness is a good ad-on if needed.

Funny that you should be the first to respond. I was on the other forum (you know the one) and 2thdr recommended to post here and specifically told me that you helped him out. Thank you for the post. I'll check it out.

So I just took it off and there was nothing on the back. Only the front. Here are some pics. The wiring looks clean. Nothing burned on that harness. When I did check the wiring, it did creak a little when moved. Sorry about the clarity, the camera doesn't take good closeups.

post-17667-126945063196_thumb.jpg

post-17667-126945064596_thumb.jpg

post-17667-126945065743_thumb.jpg

post-17667-126945066992_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

So I just took it off and there was nothing on the back. Only the front. Here are some pics. The wiring looks clean. Nothing burned on that harness. When I did check the wiring, it did creak a little when moved. Sorry about the clarity, the camera doesn't take good closeups.

I'd replace it. It's a cheap and easy enough mod for the peace of mind.

The plate on the back would be covering what might have melted, or it could be something else altogether. I would keep an eye on the voltages, and as long as everything is clean and functional there is no need to replace it...17 years it has been working, could last forever.

• Member Contributer

hi there,my r/r looked like yours ,its the oem

r/r,have you checked the r/r stator connector ive had 2 melt.the latest r/r has cooling fins. :biggrin:

hi there,my r/r looked like yours ,its the oem

r/r,have you checked the r/r stator connector ive had 2 melt.the latest r/r has cooling fins. :biggrin:

No, I haven't checked it yet. It's on the to-do list. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Checked everything out and it's all good. Bike put back together, but that's on another thread. Thanks all.

I just ordered one too.

hope it solves my problems. wiring looked ok.

Archived