Saturday project, give me some feedback

obryap

• Member Contributer

After mounting my new (to me) Scorpion exhaust, I didn't feel like my Nelson Rigg soft bags would handle the heat. So after digging through the scrap metal dumpster and a trip to the hardware store, this is what I came up with. I may modify things a little to make them more attractive, but they should do the job. Any input for changes would be appreciated, and sorry about the crappy cell phone pics.

Started off with 4 band clamps, then JB welded a 1/4" bolt to each with an extra nut for a standoff

HS1jpg.jpg

Then mounted the clamps to the cans, one on each end

HS2jpg.jpg

Found some scrap aluminum and bent angles in the brake, then painted with BBQ black paint

HS3jpg.jpg

Mounted them up with a couple acorn nuts

HS5jpg.jpg

HS4jpg.jpg

The JB weld says its good for 600 deg, but I may tig weld the bolts to some more band clamps and replace those. Also I may roll some aluminum to the same radius, and make a set that is rounded instead of squared off.

• Member Contributer

My experience with JB weld, is that it does not stand the test of time, with high temps or vibes.

As I tell them at work, you can have good, fast, or cheap... pick two.

Mac

• Member Contributer

I threw the bags on a ran it up to temp. The bags do not contact the exaust anymore, hopefully no burns. I'm going to get some more band clamps & weld the bolts on them, but this serves the purpose as a template to work off of. I'm also going to make a set out of stainless steel to see if I like the polished look better than the black. Looking forward to more input for improvements.

HS7jpg.jpg

• Member Contributer

I threw the bags on a ran it up to temp. The bags do not contact the exaust anymore, hopefully no burns. I'm going to get some more band clamps & weld the bolts on them, but this serves the purpose as a template to work off of. I'm also going to make a set out of stainless steel to see if I like the polished look better than the black. Looking forward to more input for improvements.

I think they look really nice although I'm surprised you need them. I have Leo Vince Carbon Fiber cans on my 6th gen and they don't get very hot--definitely not hot enough to melt bags... Is it because I have CF instead of Stainless??? Anyway...again they look nice and the polished look may be even better???

• Member Contributer

Looks pretty mice. Flat black and all.

I'd see if I could get them made out of a composite instead of stainless. Stainless will probably hold heat instead of blocking it. Then again, I doubt it's going to get hot enough either way. Put some of that aluminum reflective tape on the exhaust side and that should help a bit.

• Member Contributer

Looks pretty mice. Flat black and all.

I'd see if I could get them made out of a composite instead of stainless. Stainless will probably hold heat instead of blocking it. Then again, I doubt it's going to get hot enough either way. Put some of that aluminum reflective tape on the exhaust side and that should help a bit.

I thought of trying to cut some out of carbon fiber sheet, but I am not sure how to form this material, but I agree it would be better

So what do you think of your new exhaust?

So far I like the growl of the Scorpions, not as loud as I thought they would be, just a nice deep tone.

• Member Contributer

Looks nice, simple and effective :fing02:

Maybe put some (glassfibre) cloth between the clamps and the exhaust against scratches and it's an even better heat insulator.

Rubber mount the clasp - will avoid any scratches on the pipes.

• Member Contributer

I finally got some free time to cut and bend a set out of stainless. After mounting them up, I like these much better than the black, from a distance it looks like the factory exhaust. Just need to get some stainless nuts to swap out the old black ones.

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

Archived