How do you trim your carbon fiber or fiberglass?

VFR800R

• Member Contributer

Hey folks,

I'm wondering how those of you who work composites trim your carbon fiber/fiberglass.

The long version of the story is, I bought a used carbon fiber hugger for my VTEC on eBay (it appears to be an NWS item, missing the bracket and bolts), and it has a small chip on the trailing edge. I think I can cut the radius of the edge back around half an inch to eliminate the chip and go on my merry way.

It looks like most use a Dremel with a thin cutoff wheel or a hacksaw blade with very fine teeth. I just wanted to know what the pros from Dover around here use before I go hacking away. Obviously I will use breathing protection, wear gloves, and be very careful while cutting.

Oh and by the way, if any of you have any photos or insight into the installation of an NWS hugger, I would appreciate the help! I sent an e-mail to NWS, but I don't expect a reply until next week sometime. From what Google and I have discovered, it looks like the hugger zip-ties to the swingarm at the front and bolts to a small bracket that secures it to the top of the chain guard. I may be fashioning a bracket...

Thanks!

Lacy

Stay away from the hacksaw! Use the Dremel. Waterjet is best, but uh, I don't know anyone that has one in their toolbox!

Once you're done cutting, run a bead of cyanoacrylate (c/a) glue down the cut edge, to keep it from chipping and fraying. You can find c/a glue at your local hobby shop, maybe even Home Depot. Krazy glue would work if you couldn't find c/a, but the c/a is thicker and easier to apply.

• Member Contributer

...Just be sure to grind from the finished edge, down. If you go the opposite way, you'll lift the gel coat and surface finish. (Causing cracks and chips).

Archived