Anyone evre instal PLXR racks

Guest RGVVFR

Has anyone ever successfully installed a set of PLXR side racks on a V-Tec?

I just can’t get the rear bar to line up at all. The SW-MOTECs were even worse.

I’m loosing faith in this whole PLX V-35 thing. Does anyone at least have a set of PLX racks on a V-Tec that work?

• Member Contributer

I've got the PLX rack on my 06. No problems. Someone else on here has installed the quick release version maybe a search will bring it up.

• Member Contributer

I’m loosing faith in this whole PLX V-35 thing. Does anyone at least have a set of PLX racks on a V-Tec that work?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57114

Looks like a real nice set-up

The problem is that I have the OEM fender and don’t plan on removing it. The bracket that bolts on the licenses plate holder won’t line up with the racks rear mounting point. The last guy that that posted install pics couldn’t get it to work either. I’m going to call the vendor on Monday and have emailed GIVI USA but I couldn’t find a number for them.

there is plate that goes in between the license plate holder and the fender that the racks mount to. what I did was leave everything loose and left them completely off the peg mounts. Then I tighten everything on the rear fender up and then kinda forced/pry ed the racks on to the peg holders. then tighten everything up. Also make sure you have the fender bracket mounted right if I remember correct the picture from givi doesn't show it correctly....I will go out later and you at mine to make sure.

Dan

Dan

• Member Contributer

there is plate that goes in between the license plate holder and the fender that the racks mount to. what I did was leave everything loose and left them completely off the peg mounts. Then I tighten everything on the rear fender up and then kinda forced/pry ed the racks on to the peg holders. then tighten everything up. Also make sure you have the fender bracket mounted right if I remember correct the picture from givi doesn't show it correctly....I will go out later and you at mine to make sure.

Dan

Dan

+1 to this. I have the PLXR on my 2002. It took a little bit of muscling to get them all to line up. I started with the fender one (since it can move a little bit), then I attached the seat-post one (since I could loosen off the bolts and get a little play in it), finally I attached the connector to the pillion pegs. I also found it helped a bit to lube up the joints with a little bit of soap to facilitate the connections. Took about an hour to get it all done. I have to say though, I've never removed them since!

• Member Contributer

I REALLY like the look with the brackets removed. I wonder if you can use the setup with the factory bags? Since I understand the factory bags are made by Givi for Honda. any ideas?

I had the same problem. The bracket that is supposed to go behind the plate didn't line up. I looked at it and figured there isn't much support from the license plate bracket anyway. The main thing this did was let the two bags push against each other. Since i had a fe anyway this bracket wouldn't hit the plate. I just hook the bracket between the two sides and its good to go.

My bike is the one with the pics in the other thread

Does anyone have a picture of the rear bracket installed WITH the factory fender? I’ve called the vendor as well as Givi and everyone is still scratching their heads. I already packed it up for return but Givi wants pictures. I really don’t want to unpack and install half a rack just to uninstall it again.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have a picture of the rear bracket installed WITH the factory fender? I’ve called the vendor as well as Givi and everyone is still scratching their heads. I already packed it up for return but Givi wants pictures. I really don’t want to unpack and install half a rack just to uninstall it again.

Do you mean picture of the installed PLX rack or PLXR rack?

Wow, I thought I was the only one having this problem. After lots of frustration, cursing and knuckle scraping I managed to get mine installed. I have the quick release version. The problem is that the rear fender needs to be slightly bent in to get it to fit. You could start by taking the fender apart and bending the metal reinforcement that sits under the plastic, or try this:

-Start by installing the grab bar hardware on both sides (don't attach the frame to it yet)

-Then install the license plate bracket on to your license plate holder

-Attach both the left and right side frame to the license plate bracket bar (mine is the quick release style)

-Here's where the muscle comes in, you'll have to pull to bring the frame up to attach it to the grab bar on each side - you may need to turn the quick release connection point on the license plate bracket to acheive the right angle

-Then attach the hardware for the pegs to the frame, then muscle the frame with bracket attached to line up with the rear peg holes

I have yet to remove the frames from the brackets as I am afraid I'll have to take everything apart again and start over. When I have enough energy I'll give it a try as the quick release feature is quite cool. It leave very little hardware on the bike and you're ready to go when you want to attach the frame as it just twists on.

Trust me this was not at all easy and I was on my last attempt before I was going to pack it all up and send it back.

Good luck!

I already packed mine up and sent it back. I’m back to using my soft bags again but have a new set of V35s just sitting there. I’m just trying to figure out what my options are to mount them.

A couple of people have mentioned that they don’t remove the PLXR once installed. If it’s that hard I may as well just get the regular PLX racks and take them off when I’m not using them.

• Member Contributer

I picked up my new PLXR system from the dealer yesterday. Just like Christmas, I opened up the box to see my new stuff. The Monorack came as a 1 of 2 parts box's.

To my surprise it came with the M5 mount. On the GIVI site, it list the 076-FZ166 (monorack) as one item with the purchase of the 076-M5(monekey plate).

Know I get to take the extra M5 back to the dealer.

• Member Contributer

Well, Christmas is over.

Bad welds, bolts that are not long enough for the top mount/grab handles. The V35 mount rack is not even close to lining up the quick release holes.

RH side is 1/2 inch and left side almost 1 inch). Left side momorack has a bad weld, so I either bend it/cut it to make it fit. ...... ranting. un-impressed. It like they just slapped this together and said sell it. :beer:

So, who use's soft bags and what kind.

Yet another UN-Satisfied customer. I think the PLXR works better in theory than in practice. I bet they designed this on a computer and never even tried to fit it on a bike. I’m still waiting on my refund.

I followed the directions on this site and had a rack built to keep the soft bags off the mufflers.

It works well with any soft bags.

• Member Contributer

If you have dropped your bike at least once (I know I have) I think you will find the reason the brackets don't line up is because the passenger peg is slightly out of alignment (I know mine are). This makes it a beast to get the brackets in place and I have had to do it a couple of times when I needed to remove the tail fairing but it can be done.

These brackets were not designed to be constantly removed though when not in use either so if that was your intent there are brackets designed that way (and cost more for that feature). I have never had a problem with the Givi setup I have and I have done several years and thousands of miles with this setup on, dropped the bike a couple of times, etc and they have held up just fine. Sorry to hear you are having such problems with yours. Hope you find something that works. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

+2.

I can't remember the fix, but I got it all together without bending or drilling anything. IIRC, I had to install the license plate bracket behind or in front of a rubber grommet (opposite to the instructions). Anyway, there were definitely some issues with the rubber mounts.

Don't do without that tie plate. It keeps the bags from flapping sideways, which will fatigue something over time.

Glenn

Dan

Dan

+1 to this. I have the PLXR on my 2002. It took a little bit of muscling to get them all to line up. I started with the fender one (since it can move a little bit), then I attached the seat-post one (since I could loosen off the bolts and get a little play in it), finally I attached the connector to the pillion pegs. I also found it helped a bit to lube up the joints with a little bit of soap to facilitate the connections. Took about an hour to get it all done. I have to say though, I've never removed them since!

+2.

I can't remember the fix, but I got it all together without bending or drilling anything. IIRC, I had to install the license plate bracket behind or in front of a rubber grommet (opposite to the instructions). Anyway, there were definitely some issues with the rubber mounts.

Don't do without that tie plate. It keeps the bags from flapping sideways, which will fatigue something over time.

Glenn

That may be correct on the not drilling part. As you mention the rubber mounts it seems like I had to do the same as you, opposite of the instructions. Its been probably 4 years since I installed them so the details are a little iffy on my part.

• Member Contributer

Do NOT tighten any bolts until everything is on and secured you will need to adjust/move items around for proper fitment. Only tighten when your just about to mount the bags on. Then tighten/torque.

post-19341-126698932678_thumb.jpg remove your grab bar. then install your side frame and top frame. Holding all 3 plates will be fun, I just started to thread them enough then place the grab bar back onto the bike.

post-19341-126698932949_thumb.jpg this is what it will look like when done.

post-19341-126698933209_thumb.jpg These bolts are in your kit. You will have these and other as extras.

post-19341-126698933776_thumb.jpg shown for mounting. remember, the side frame goes in front

post-19341-126698934014_thumb.jpganother shot

post-19341-126698934287_thumb.jpg remove your stock exh bolts, install the new longer bolts and there should be some tacky heat shield material- it will fall off.

post-19341-126698934478_thumb.jpganother shot

post-19341-126698934701_thumb.jpg Exh... not the best photo...

post-19341-126698937407_thumb.jpgthe following photos shows what it looks like with the side frame attached and the lower lock on.

post-19341-126698939257_thumb.jpg you will have to remover your LIC plate holder. the back plate ( in my hand ) does not go back on.

post-19341-126698939529_thumb.jpgnew bolts that will go thru the front plate

post-19341-126698941976_thumb.jpg remove these .... garbage

post-19341-126698942224_thumb.jpg after it is bolted in, there is not alot to "brace it" and stop the plastic from flexing. Build a small brace that will fit inside ( as shown). I also did one on the back.

post-19341-126698942506_thumb.jpg this show what it looks like. Whitecardboard is there just to show.. thank god, everything now aligns right up. NO LOCKING PROBLEMS AT ALL.

the rest just show how it looks.

post-19341-126698956948_thumb.jpg these four pads go on the top mount.

Note: At this point all of your bolts should be loose enough to allow you to "adjust" and move as needed.

After all the side frames are bolted in. The mounts are locked into place ( with the GIVI key lock) this includes the lic plate secured then you can put on the top mount ( M5 ). Once that is into place, then you can torque all other bolts.

The kit does not come with any lock washers. if you bought the TOP and SIDE mounts, you will have bolts/washers/spacers left over. Its 3 kits in one, and you only need 2.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

post-19341-126698937726_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698938453_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698938711_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698938986_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698943034_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698943292_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698943589_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698943832_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698945673_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698945989_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698949426_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698953249_thumb.jpg

post-19341-126698956635_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. That clears up a lot. That’s not even close to the GIVI instructions. They really need to take a second look at them.

Just to be clear, does the rear bracket need to wind up behind the plate hanger and light or does just removing the spacer get it lined up right?

Archived