Anyone evre instal PLXR racks

Guest RGVVFR

Thanks for the post - much better than Givi's instructions. Actually the install went together without any problems.

Two questions after I got mine installed:

1. Do you NEED to install the license plate bracket connecter thing to the license plate? I have a FE and the bracket seems to stay in place pretty good - just wondering.

2. Is there any way to install the top brackets which connect to the grab handles without the grab handles????

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the post - much better than Givi's instructions. Actually the install went together without any problems.

Two questions after I got mine installed:

1. Do you NEED to install the license plate bracket connecter thing to the license plate? I have a FE and the bracket seems to stay in place pretty good - just wondering.

2. Is there any way to install the top brackets which connect to the grab handles without the grab handles????

Thanks

1. I would recommend installing it. The bracket attaches to the back of the FE kit and adds stability to the whole rack assembly. Otherwise if you load up your side cases you are risking the rack flexing/fatiguing. I can take a picture if you want.

2. You will either need shorter bolts or add spacers if you remove the grab handles but it will leave an ugly gap in the fairing so I would just leave the grab handles there aesthetically personally.

Thanks

1. I would recommend installing it. The bracket attaches to the back of the FE kit and adds stability to the whole rack assembly. Otherwise if you load up your side cases you are risking the rack flexing/fatiguing. I can take a picture if you want.

If you have a pic it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

• Member Contributer

As you can see the license plate bracket is attached to the back of the FE kit on my bike:

gallery_9864_2412_795802.jpg

gallery_9864_2412_303071.jpg

The license plate itself is still attached to the FE kit. Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

as per attached. ( I hope the attachment works)

Just a shout out to Gerrys02800. I use the method detailed above and I got my rack on very quickly and easily. The only change I made was that instead of making metal brackets for the plate mount, I just used large washers. They give the mount enough support. My plxr racks fit well and I am able to remove them without a major hassle.

I also recommend using something to extend the handle on the keyed wrench supplied by GIVI. The extra leverage makes it a lot easier to attach and remove the racks.

• Member Contributer

as per attached. ( I hope the attachment works)

Just a shout out to Gerrys02800. I use the method detailed above and I got my rack on very quickly and easily. The only change I made was that instead of making metal brackets for the plate mount, I just used large washers. They give the mount enough support. My plxr racks fit well and I am able to remove them without a major hassle.

I also recommend using something to extend the handle on the keyed wrench supplied by GIVI. The extra leverage makes it a lot easier to attach and remove the racks.

The metal bracket was just for a little "extra" support but your 100% right, washers would have done just fine. Good idea on extending the Givi Key. I never take my mounts off anyways. They must have wanted to keep the set under $1500.00 so they made they keys shorter.

• 2 months later...

Archived