A (not so loud) end Can for a 5th gen

vfr_steve

Hi all.

I'm looking to replace my exhaust with something a little meatier and with the hope of exposing the rear wheel in all it's intended glory. Now I had a set of BOS pipes on my 6th gen and they were perfect. Not too loud, with a nice rumble and throaty sound without overpowering your senses. I really want something that's not much louder than the stock can.

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I am looking for something different, possibly the quietest end can available for a 5th gen.

Any ideas? smile.gif

Thanks!

Steve

If you could source a midpipe that is 2" diameter (which they all pretty much are), you could adapt one of these and dial in the sound level to however quiet you like, using the removable discs to alter the volume:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supertrapp-Superlight-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Brand-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca92bd4d3QQitemZ260536259795QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Located in the UK too. The one above is 16" long, the same seller also has a 19" long one, but that might be too long and stick out the back?

Here's a 2" link pipe, also from the UK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-VFR800-FIW-I-97-01-EXHAUST-TO-SILENCER-LINK-PIPE_W0QQitemZ310166969366QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item4837645c16

And a highmount link pipe, guess where? UK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-VFR800-FIW-I-97-01-HI-LEVEL-SILENCER-LINK-PIPE_W0QQitemZ310171585224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item4837aacac8

If you could source a midpipe that is 2" diameter (which they all pretty much are), you could adapt one of these and dial in the sound level to however quiet you like, using the removable discs to alter the volume:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supertrapp-Superlight-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Brand-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca92bd4d3QQitemZ260536259795QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Located in the UK too. The one above is 16" long, the same seller also has a 19" long one, but that might be too long and stick out the back?

Here's a 2" link pipe, also from the UK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-VFR800-FIW-I-97-01-EXHAUST-TO-SILENCER-LINK-PIPE_W0QQitemZ310166969366QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item4837645c16

And a highmount link pipe, guess where? UK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-VFR800-FIW-I-97-01-HI-LEVEL-SILENCER-LINK-PIPE_W0QQitemZ310171585224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item4837aacac8

wow thanks for the links and information. Sorry for being stupid (I have no experience with this kind of thing) are you saying I can pretty much buy any end can I want and alter the volume via the baffles or the actual link pipe? :wheel:

I friend (sort of) I know said I can have his highmount link pipe and he will fit it for me so I'm just after a nice clean looking exhaust.

• Member Contributer

That Delkevic looks very tempting, just the kind of look I had in mind, I just don't want to be deafened everytime I go for a ride. My hearing is important and I've already done some damage by my band and riding bikes. Hence why I don't want a staintune even though they do sound gorgeous and probably the best sounding out there.

how adjustable is the volume on these exhausts? (Spoken like a true newby)

That Delkevic looks very tempting, just the kind of look I had in mind, I just don't want to be deafened everytime I go for a ride. My hearing is important and I've already done some damage by my band and riding bikes. Hence why I don't want a staintune even though they do sound gorgeous and probably the best sounding out there.

how adjustable is the volume on these exhausts? (Spoken like a true newby)

Staintunes come with removable baffles that, when in place, keep the db level down to just above stock. :fing02:

wow thanks for the links and information. Sorry for being stupid (I have no experience with this kind of thing) are you saying I can pretty much buy any end can I want and alter the volume via the baffles or the actual link pipe? :fing02:

I friend (sort of) I know said I can have his highmount link pipe and he will fit it for me so I'm just after a nice clean looking exhaust.

No problem, there are no stupid questions.

So, typically most all modern sportbike end cans use a 2" inlet.

The one I showed above on Ebay UK has a 4" diameter body, 16" length, with a 2" inlet pipe diameter. Probably perfect for a VFR. I think the 19" can would be too long and bulky looking. In a high level mount, the 19" would likely stick out way past the taillight.

So if you have a link pipe for say, a Remus, and it is 2" diameter, there's probably no reason you couldn't fit say a Venom end can to the Remus link pipe provided they are both a 2" slip fit joint.

As long as you have the necessary hanger strap, a simple fabricated bracket may be all that is required.

I didn't know whether you wanted a highmount or low, so I showed both link pipes, but if you already have one from your mate, then you're good to go (almost).

As for the volume, I don't know if Supertrapp is very popular in the UK, but on that particular endcan, the outlet turndown end is removable, and inside, there are a series of discs or plates that you can also remove (or add) and alter the total number of discs.

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=38

633003098420312500UniversalInternalDisc.jpg

0000_SuperTrapp_3_Tuning_Discs.jpg

disc-only-4in-1.jpg

More discs = less restriction and more noise.

Less discs = more restriction and less noise.

So basically, you can tune the sound to whatever pleases you, and if the bobbies are giving you hell about the racket, you could tone it down to be as quiet as stock if you like.

Plus, they are stainless steel, so it will stay looking nice no matter the weather.

Some cans come with a "spud" that you insert in the end, so you have two volumes" loud and not-so-loud.

With the Supertrapp, it is basically infinetly variable, so you can tailor the sound exactly how you like.

This is superb information Rob thankyou :goofy:

This sounds perfect for me so I might go ahead and buy it and let my mate do all that 'faffing' about :fing02:

I love this forum, have a beer on me! :beer:

Here's another picture that better shows the innards and the removable end cap and plates.

Another option is to leave all the internal discs out completely and simply refit the turndown outlet end cap.

That would, of course, be the loudest configuration, and probably not what you're after, but I just wanted to point out that it IS possible.

post-554-126517341201_thumb.jpg

Does the Delk header system come with the two pipes to connect to the back two cylinders? They never show them in the pics.

From the auction:

These do come with the two downpipes but does not include gaskets.

Archived