Double check your load

V-FORE

• Member Contributer

It seems that 2010 is starting out well :rolleyes: On my way in this morning my gym bag(containing my clothes & wallet) decided to part company with me, somehow releasing the bungee net from its grasp of the franken bolts. So as I arrive at the freeway offramp to work/gym I realize the bag is not behind me, what well turn around & go back to the start of the journey back up I-5 for 25 miles thinking well I should be able to back track & find it. On the off ramp I decide well I might as well go back home & shower & get clothes( I ride in in shorts/tank top overpants, jacket) so if I don't find it at least I will be dressed for work :rolleyes: So here I am waiting... I first left @ 4:30, back home by 5:25 so maybe it will get a little lighter so if I am able to see a gym back wrapped in a white garbage bag(in case of rain) I may be able to retrieve it :fing02: I know the it may be wishful thinking, but about a year and 1/2 ago I had dropped one of my gloves on the way home and stopped & picked it up a day later :fing02: So always remember double check your load

Rant off

Gary

Sorry to hear about the mishap, but your post is a good reminder to us all. :rolleyes:

I bungee stuff to my rear seat often, and usually double-check it before getting on the bike. I'll also reach behind me periodically during my ride to make sure my stuff is still there.

• Member Contributer

That's what you get for riding while my bike is stored for the winter! tongue.gif

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies! I am still laughing tongue.gif I figure ____happens so I might as well not sweat the small stuff!

You were lucky the gym bag is all you lost. A few years ago, the owner of a Anniversary Model VFR (the red and silver 5th Gen) who lives near me woke up in hospital with severe injuries. He didn't know what had happened to him, but the cops believed his bag had come adrift from his rear seat at around 120km/h, gone into his back wheel, and made his bike crash.

The bike was totalled, and he'll never ride again.

You were lucky the gym bag is all you lost. A few years ago, the owner of a Anniversary Model VFR (the red and silver 5th Gen) who lives near me woke up in hospital with severe injuries. He didn't know what had happened to him, but the cops believed his bag had come adrift from his rear seat at around 120km/h, gone into his back wheel, and made his bike crash.

That right there is why I never bungee things to the seat. :rolleyes:

I watched some guy pull away from a roadside turnout once, he spun/slid the rear tire a little bit on the gravel shoulder before his wheels hit the tarmac. When they did, he was still on the gas and the bike snapped back straight. The bungeed soft bag on the passenger seat then rotated 90' and hung off the right side of the bike as he jetted away, wailing through the gears towards the horizon. :fing02:

I hope he made it. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Holy cow (polite version!)!!! Well, this thread is making me appreciate getting a full set of hard cases (3), even if they (top box) may look silly sometimes. Wow. Well, at least, they secure your load and make you more visible (top box anyway).

Sorry about your wallet man, I hope a good soul brings it back to you. You are doing better than I would be if you're not too troubled by everything you'll have to do if you need to renew all your cards and all. I must work on being more zen. Or realign my chi or something...

Cheers,

C

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear you bad luck. Makes me cringe when I think about all the stuff I have bungied to my bike. I guess I will permently mount the Givi case.

When I read the title, I was expecting something funny. What a let down. I guess its off season.

So, anyway...

Most of us here are old enough that we would never double check our load. :goofy:

There....funny ha ha.