brake bleeder

ADAM79

• Member Contributer

I just rolled 12k on the vfr and need to change the brake fluid. I want to buy a vacuum bleeder for this job and was wondering what is a good one to use?

• Member Contributer

I got the bleeder valves with the ball bearing, I think they are called "speed bleeders" from Tightwad, a member on this board. His site is http://wiremybike.com/index.php

They made the job easy, and much less expensive than the unit you have in mind.

Just a thought.

• Member Contributer

I got the bleeder valves with the ball bearing, I think they are called "speed bleeders" from Tightwad, a member on this board. His site is http://wiremybike.com/index.php

They made the job easy, and much less expensive than the unit you have in mind.

Just a thought.

I would say go for the speedbleeders...I just recently added them to my front calipers and changed the front fluid with ease...didn't even touch my mighty vac! I got mine from my local Kaw dealer for about $14...the expensive part was the brake fluid..Silkolene at about $26 a bottle!

• Member Contributer

JMO but I wouldn't mess with the vacuum bleeder for replacing fluid. Either the speedbleeders or regular ones. I would just suction out the old fluid, wipe out the reservoir, refill with new fluid, and then pump and bleed the brakes. I have the Mityvac and it does work well, but it's easier to just use the bleeders in this instance. If you don't let air get into the system you will have about a 30 minute job for front, rear, and clutch. Be very careful with the brake fluid: it will melt/weaken plastic and ruin paint.

• Member Contributer

A Mightyvac can be used on more than one bike, has multiple uses (don't forget your clutch fluid), and is super quick. After 12 years, I recently bought my second unit. Instead of another plastic body from the auto parts store that brake cleaner will eventually make brittle, I found a Sears Craftsman metal cast unit that has more features and just oozes quality. It even includes a pump rebuild kit so it should last me a life time.

Speed bleeders are nice, I've used them, but they won't help a bit when you need to bleed your cage. :warranty: :biggrin:

Archived