Will 4th gen stock exhaust fit 3rd gen?

FinnRC36

Do you guys know will 4th gen stock exhaust fit the 3rd gen and do I need to change all the parts for it to fit? Also can I retain the center stand? I'm interested in this because there seems to be a lot bigger selection of exhaust cans for the 4th gen and I'm lookingfor a can as light as possible. Also this would give me a change to go stainless on the pipes. For example this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290364319076&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I believe it will, however the spot where the exhaust cannister connects to the headers is different. The 4th Gens have a flange/flared mount point, and the 3rd Gens have more of a true slip-on atachment method. This can be fixed with a little cutting and welding to the mid-pipe. Being that you have a 3rd Gen, this is an easy swap/fix. Just requires minor modification to the mid-pipe.

I was thinking more of a bolt on type change where I change the whole downpipes and collector and the end can to avoid any fitting problems between the can and pipes. I'm mostly concerned will the center stand fit with the parts under the engine from a newer VFR. Looking at parts numbers the front downpipes are the same for both models as are the little pieces of pipe connected to the rear cylinder manifold.

I believe an entire wholesale swap like what you're describing is possible. There may be minor differences in material of the pipes, or thickness, but I think I have seen ppl do what you're describing. AS far as the centerstand is concerned, I don't believe that will be an issue, as the 4th Gen has a center stand, and I think the engine block is the same, as well. It should work, when do you plan on attempting this, as I may have an exhaust and centerstand available in 2 months hopefully...

I'm planning to do this over the winter, since there's snow on the ground here in Finland I'm not going to drive the bike anytime soon. I was thinking to use my original center stand and to find at least the collector cheap from somewhere. Of course stainless pipes would be interesting but perhaps I test the fitment first with stock parts that I too can modify by welding if necessary. So I might be interested in your pipes if I can't find them locally.

Yes, you can swap the entire exhaust system from a 4th gen to a 3rd gen.

As for the centerstand, it won't fit on again without some custom fabrication.

Brackets, etc, but it's been done.

Stainless steel is the way to go for the pipes!

• Member Contributer

I believe an entire wholesale swap like what you're describing is possible. There may be minor differences in material of the pipes, or thickness, but I think I have seen ppl do what you're describing. AS far as the centerstand is concerned, I don't believe that will be an issue, as the 4th Gen has a center stand, and I think the engine block is the same, as well. It should work, when do you plan on attempting this, as I may have an exhaust and centerstand available in 2 months hopefully...

No, it won't work without spacing the center stand down, because the center stand mounted differently on the two models. Then, if you do that, you have a ground-clearance issue to solve. I solved it by increasing rear ride height by flipping the eccentric. But that threw up other issues to solve... Which means the easy answer, is no!

Ciao,

No it will not, it mounts differently. Found this out the hard way, I do however have a Vance and Hines 3rd Gen pipe. It needs to be repacked but I will sell it at a very reasonable price if you are interested PM me.

Do you have any idea is the 4th gen system without the silencer any lighter than the one on 3rd gen? I was hoping to shed some weight off the bike and by the looks of the exhaust collector there is some weight savings in switching to 4th gen exhaust. Otherwise it probably isn't worth the trouble since basically any silencer can be fitted with a little bit of welding. Of course if I was to find a stainless system for a resonable price that would be also a good reason. My original systems is fully funtional so that doesn't necessitate the swap. Gap Trash, how heavy is the V&H pipe? I'd be interested if I can save enough weight with it. And how loud is it?

• 1 month later...

Do you have any idea is the 4th gen system without the silencer any lighter than the one on 3rd gen? I was hoping to shed some weight off the bike and by the looks of the exhaust collector there is some weight savings in switching to 4th gen exhaust. Otherwise it probably isn't worth the trouble since basically any silencer can be fitted with a little bit of welding. Of course if I was to find a stainless system for a resonable price that would be also a good reason. My original systems is fully funtional so that doesn't necessitate the swap. Gap Trash, how heavy is the V&H pipe? I'd be interested if I can save enough weight with it. And how loud is it?

I know this is a REAAALLLY OLLDDD thread but I'm hoping you'll still be watching... Did the swap work as expected?

What about using a 4th gen exhaust on a 3rd gen bike, where the 3rd gen centerstand was already fitted? From the microfiche, looks like the 3rd gen stand is already spaced downward with a mounting bracket. So I'm thinking it "might" fit with the 4th gen exhaust... has anyone tried this?

Guest vfrrider

1. The 4th gen system will replace the 3rd gen system. Its a bolt on, BUT...........

You cannot use the optional center stand of the 3rd gen with the 4th gen exhaust in place without a bunch of mods. JZH is totally right on that one, he tried real hard. IF you do not have the center stand, no big deal.

2. The connectors and cans a totally diferent, not interchangeable. Good side, you can use 4th gen slip-ons, much more plentiful.

And I BELIEVE the 4th gen system weighs less, also. Available in all SS from Motad and Predator, see DK Spares, Ebay UK for a left exit model.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

Anybody got experience with the Delkevic ss headers? I may want to put one on my 3rd gen (swap to the fourth gen style without resonator, of course). Got a Pit Bull stand, so no centerstand = no problem.

Two Brothers says (used to say) that 4th gen header bolts right up to 3rd gen holes. They don't make whole systems anymore AFAIK

I know this is a REAAALLLY OLLDDD thread but I'm hoping you'll still be watching... Did the swap work as expected?

What about using a 4th gen exhaust on a 3rd gen bike, where the 3rd gen centerstand was already fitted? From the microfiche, looks like the 3rd gen stand is already spaced downward with a mounting bracket. So I'm thinking it "might" fit with the 4th gen exhaust... has anyone tried this?

Haven't done this yet and probably not going to because I could not use the center stand anymore and I want to. The 4th gen header is much lower where the 3rd gen center stand is so it won't fit.

You could modify the original exhaust by replacing the big collector box with normal tube collector and make it clear the center stand and make the connection for the muffler like it is in the 4th gen to use 4th gen muffler. I going to do this or replace the collector box with a under engine muffler. These modifications do require some welding though but I've done car exhaust from tube bends before so that's not a problem.

I've got no exprerience with the Delkevic headers but did some research on them and they do NOT come with new SS front pipes. A big minus in my opinion. The 4th gen system does bolt on the 3rd gen.

• Member Contributer

Spacing down the centerstand bracket looks like this:

gallery_362_402_26442.jpg

But you also have to flip the eccentric and raise the rear ride height, or your ground clearance will suffer. That's essentially what I had to do when I fit a set of TBR pipes on my FP. (Also, the side stand needs to be lengthened, or the bike will lean waayyyy over!)

Ciao,

Archived