Quick question about removing swingarm

Rice

What tool should I use to remove the pivot nut?

Thanks!

If you're talking about the rook-style locking ring, you'll need at least a hammer and a screwdriver, and time. Or order the special Honda tool. Middle ground is cutting up a socket to fit the shape.

If you're referring to the pivot bolt, I think you need a large allen for that. I made a tool for the pivot bolt by welding a nut to a grade 8 bolt. I ground the head of the bolt to fit the pivot bolt, then put a wrench on the nut.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Seb.

Yeah.

I meant pivot bolt.

Do they even make such large allens?

I wonder if I can buy one and return it.

Hate to spend $30-40 for a one time use.

Thanks Seb.

Yeah.

I meant pivot bolt.

Do they even make such large allens?

I wonder if I can buy one and return it.

Hate to spend $30-40 for a one time use.

They are made, but not something you'd find in any auto parts store. Measure it & try NAPA. If you want to try the bolt method, you could probably get away with threading 2 nuts on the bolt, so that they lock together as you turn the wrench. You'd still need a way to grind the head to the right size though. Snap-on and MAC truck/tool stores would have the allen, but yeah, you're gonna pay for one of those!!

Get yourself a set of Allen sockets. Cheap on EBAY all day long.

(edit: just checked and you can find the SAME exact set on EBAY for 10 bucks B.I.N.)

b200979.jpg

Here's an example, I've never dealt with this retailer though, they are just a random google result at $19.99 for the set:

http://www.anytimesale.com/servlet/the-51/13-pc-METRIC-ALLEN-HEX-BIT-SOCKET-SET-with-CASE/Detail

Get yourself a set of Allen sockets. Cheap on EBAY all day long.

(edit: just checked and you can find the SAME exact set on EBAY for 10 bucks B.I.N.)

b200979.jpg

Here's an example, I've never dealt with this retailer though, they are just a random google result at $19.99 for the set:

http://www.anytimesale.com/servlet/the-51/13-pc-METRIC-ALLEN-HEX-BIT-SOCKET-SET-with-CASE/Detail

Trouble is, the sizes for the swingarm bolts are pretty big, like 17-22mm. Not very common.

Trouble is, the sizes for the swingarm bolts are pretty big, like 17-22mm. Not very common.

Here is a complete set going up to 17mm with SAE and metric both:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18PC-HEX-ALLEN-WRENCH-BIT-SOCKET-TOOL-SET-SAE-METRIC-CV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58842e10daQQitemZ380174733530QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

OR 8-12 bucks for individual sockets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Newsome-1-2-Drive-17mm-Hex-key-Socket-Allen-HXB17_W0QQitemZ260498367894QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3ca6e9a596

http://cgi.ebay.com/Franklin-1-2-17mm-Hex-key-Socket-Hexagon-Allen-4317_W0QQitemZ260493828005QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3ca6a45fa5

I've developed a policy to just man up and buy the tools I need for any given job. You're not going to run out and buy them when you DON'T need them, so now I have a complete set of torque wrenches, socket sets in every variety, selection of air tools, a compressor to run them, regular pliers, snap-ring pliers, screwdrivers of every flavour, 2 ton floor jack, pickle forks, brake spring pliers, bearing drivers, combination wrenches, torx and allen socket bits, etc, etc, etc.

And that doesn't even touch the woodworking tools! :fing02:

Next thing I'll need is a second roll cabinet to house them all in!

I've developed a policy to just man up and buy the tools I need for any given job. You're not going to run out and buy them when you DON'T need them, so now I have a complete set of torque wrenches, socket sets in every variety, selection of air tools, a compressor to run them, regular pliers, snap-ring pliers, screwdrivers of every flavour, 2 ton floor jack, pickle forks, brake spring pliers, bearing drivers, combination wrenches, torx and allen socket bits, etc, etc, etc.

And that doesn't even touch the woodworking tools! :beer:

Next thing I'll need is a second roll cabinet to house them all in!

+1.gif I have one Snap-On and one Proto allen socket that I bought individually for swingarm removal on the VF, and then later for the '86 VFR. In between I made the bolt & nut combo for my F4i because I had a need and didn't want to wait for shipping. I am ALWAYS ready for an excuse to buy a new tool! :fing02: Making them can be fun sometimes too though. :blush:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the replies!

I went to my mechanic and borrowed a snap-on socket.

The swingarm came right off :fing02:

Does anyone know a good way to clean the road grime off of it?

Elbow grease works great! (along with dishwashing liquid, or mineral spirits, or kerosene).

• Member Contributer

Erm, i may be stoopid,(often) but to release my swing arm i simply remove the fat nut from the one side and the bolt will pop out other side with simple teasing( a long pokey thing and rubber mallet).. leaving the adjuster(the bit that uses the fancy honda castle nut to adjust with) in situe(its already adjusted and locked into your size and spec. swingarm).. i also perchanced the dedicated allen key bolt, poss to torque up the removed bolt again.. hmm

Thanks for all the replies!

I went to my mechanic and borrowed a snap-on socket.

The swingarm came right off :fing02:

WD-40 works great for cleaning the arm, follow up with soapy water once the nasty stuff is gone.

What size was the allen, BTW?

Archived