More Rwb Dirt Riding!

• Member Contributer

This is the Atigun Pass on the way to Prudhoe Bay last summer. When we made it back to Fairbanks a few days later, I spent two hours in a d.i.y. spray car wash getting all the mud and crap off the bike and radiators. The radiators were so full of mud the fan would hardly turn and if they did you could hear them clicking against whatever was in there. I'll post a few more pictures tonight.

IMG_3137.jpg

• Member Contributer

This is the Atigun Pass on the way to Prudhoe Bay last summer. When we made it back to Fairbanks a few days later, I spent two hours in a d.i.y. spray car wash getting all the mud and crap off the bike and radiators. The radiators were so full of mud the fan would hardly turn and if they did you could hear them clicking against whatever was in there. I'll post a few more pictures tonight.

IMG_3137.jpg

Cool shot in AK! Want to take that trip one day ........but not on a VFR.

BTW going to ND/Navy this weekend in Southbend.

• Member Contributer

Well, I must say that after 15 years of off-road motorcycle racing (in a previous lifetime), I never saw a sport bike on the trail or in the fields. I surely would have done a double take if I ever saw you out there on the VFR. I would opt for one of the open class off-road dirt bikes without the full knobby tires.

It's easy to see you love your motorcycle and riding. Beautiful scenery in Wyoming - never been there, but hope to travel there someday.

Bill

• Member Contributer

You suck! Unless you have an extra ticket. Then I'll be your best friend!!

• Member Contributer

You suck! Unless you have an extra ticket. Then I'll be your best friend!!

May have but won't know till late - PM me with your cell. Staying in LaPorte.

Looks like you're having a great time exploring with your VFR, thats what bikes are all about. My parents live just down the road in Riverton, maybe we can get together for a ride next time I get down there for a visit.

I've asked my dad about some roads with lots of corners, he told me about a pass around Burgess Junction that is so twisty "you can look through your own back window", I like the sound of it :biggrin:

Are you familiar with any of these roads?

burgess.jpg

PS prefer to avoid roads any rougher than this

dirtrd2ajj.jpg

You would fit in just fine the the Topeka area riders. Just because the pavements ends, doesn't mean the ride should. Water crossing, dirt, & gravel are part of our "regular" routes.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Getting the bike where other's say it doesn't belong makes for some great photos and good stories. Nice job, George!

• Member Contributer

HAHAHA, good jab there Seb. I don't for one minute deny my hillybilly roots. I always grew up with the learning that you use what you have and enjoy life as best you can. I'd love a big GS, an CRF450R, a CBR1000RR, and a Goldwing. The trouble is I cannot afford it right now and have had to sell several of my toys to pay for doctor bills with my children. In the meantime I continue to enjoy life to the fullest with the most alla round bike I have owned, a VFR800 RWB smile.gif

George

• Member Contributer

Also, I am very familiar with rpetty much all roads in WY. Highway 14 heading over the junction is junk right now. They are tearing it up and turning a great bike road into a four lane semi-straight RV road though the mountains sad.gif I road it a few months ago in the rain and was terribly dissapointed by what they are doing to it. I did get to ride my VFR through some gooey mud in the middle of the construction zone. Other guys on bikes were turning around or walking their bikes through it, but I just kept pluggin away, tears in my eyes knowing that this may be the last time I ever get a good ride through here and I had to do it on wet, muddy roads instead of the prime pavement we used to have up there.

As to a good Wyoming ride, let me know when you're going to be in town and I'll plan to ride, pavement or not smile.gif

George

You dont need a GS BMW to go on dirt roads, but some of thouse I would not go whit mine, even a 5th gen is faar better on gravel than my old 87 VFR!

Nice report thro!

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Great thread!!! I thought I was the only one!!! roads in Nova Scotia are really bumpy and generally lousy for repairs! So sometimes I gravel it. AlsoI ride with a BMW GS guy and you wouldn't belevie some of the places we end up. My prob with the VFR is the ABS and linked brakes! they can be pretty scarry when using your rear in dirt/gravel.

Archived