O2 Eliminator Resistor Question....

TucsonErik

• Member Contributer

So, I went to Radio Shack to get some 330 ohm O2 sensor eliminators and found that they come in different wattage. They range from 1/8 watt up to 1 watt (or so).

Is it critical what wattage resistors I get? If so, what wattage is correct.

I bought 1/2 watt because I thought they looked about the same size as in the pictures of the mod in the thread by 'Trace'. He specifies a part number of 271-1315, which searches as a 1/4 watt resistor on the Radio Shack site. Of course I didn't have the part number before I went to the Shack.

Will the 1/2 watt resistors be OK, or should I exchange them for 1/4 watt?

• Member Contributer

they will be fine. You would run into issues if say you were running high amperage through them. there is hardly any amps running through that circuit.

Jesse

• Member Contributer

Well the resistor in question is actually going across the heater circuit of the O2 sensor to convince the ECU that's its still connected. If you have 12 volts across a 330 ohm resistor thats .036 amps or .432 watts. Since .5 equals 1/2 watt and .25 equals 1/4 watt, and 1/4 resistor would be too small.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Coderighter for the technical info.

Makes me wonder if any of the comments by others that they are having problems with their resistor install could be because they used too small of a resistor and burned it??? "Things that make you go 'Hmmm.'"

• 4 weeks later...

First post, hi guys!

I`ve used the half watt ones before, they fit better into the connectors as they`ve got a larger wire diameter. 1/4 is too small and doesn`t sit as nicely.

Just bought the connector shells so I can connect them up properly. Makes it nice and tidy, same resistors, fully sealed, jobs a goodun!

• Member Contributer
First post, hi guys!

I`ve used the half watt ones before, they fit better into the connectors as they`ve got a larger wire diameter. 1/4 is too small and doesn`t sit as nicely.

Just bought the connector shells so I can connect them up properly. Makes it nice and tidy, same resistors, fully sealed, jobs a goodun!

Thanks for the info. Where did you get the connector shells?

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
First post, hi guys!

Thanks for the info. Where did you get the connector shells?

Cheers,

Got them from a electrical company over in Singapore. They`ve got all the wires, connectors, bits galore, can`t remember the name but I`ll have a look back and try to find the reciept. They`re a bit expensive on carriage so got a few sets just in case! Not a massive fan of things looking untidy and IMO worth the work tracking them down to make a good job of it!

I bought 1/2 watt because I thought they looked about the same size as in the pictures of the mod in the thread by 'Trace'. He specifies a part number of 271-1315, which searches as a 1/4 watt resistor on the Radio Shack site. Of course I didn't have the part number before I went to the Shack.

Will the 1/2 watt resistors be OK, or should I exchange them for 1/4 watt?

My 1/4 watters have been working fine for over three years, but obviously 1/2 watt is "better-er" if that is what's available. :rolleyes:

Archived