Discount Handlebar Modification

Guest Goosechef

Guest Goosechef

So I have thought about the Heli-bars to solve the hand cramping I have enjoyed for far too long, and was on their website again today almost ready to buy them. I bailed, but something I read popped into my head as I rode to the airport this afternoon, about how they not only raise the bars, but they also BRING THEM BACK. Now, notice how the design of each bar actually pushed the bars forwards. See where this is going? Switch the bars, and the sweep will be backwards. End result, grips closer to your body core. And so it is.

It was quite easy. It involves relaxing the throttle cable to get that off, and there is a metal pin on that side for alignment, and a plastic one on the left side. They have to go unless you can drill new holes. That would be the best way, otherwise they will be a little loose. (Duct tape again to the rescue. One wrap on the bar will give the throttle housing a grab). When it all goes back together, it feels better from the get-go.

So thats it. Really quite easy, and in my price range.

Guest pserve
I took a picture but don't know how to add it to the page. Can anyone help me?

I usually use the Insert Image button for pics hosted elsewhere, but you could also just upload it to your gallery too.

Guest Goosechef
Did you check to see if the bars hit the gas tank at full lock?

my first thought.

Of course. No contact. While they are still loose, just align them as needed then tighten.

Guest pserve

Hmmm, interesting. I had thought about the possibility of this briefly a while back, but dismissed it for some reason. Looks good, and doesn't appear to introduce any other issues. Thanks for sharing.

• Member Contributer
gallery_14359_4876_487632.jpg

Handlebar reversed, cheap mod Here's a shot of the end result of my discount mod. Just switched the left/right bars

I thought about this, but you lose the tab that makes sure the bar doesn't move. I know the Helibar doesn't even have that tab, but i think it's designed to be that way. Seems like someone could make a piece that could go under the bar, like a really thick washer, with a slot for the bar tab and a tab to go where the bar tab used to go on the tree. Just a thought.

• Member Contributer

I've thought about dremeling off that damn tab so I can rotate the bars to a better position for me. I know what it's for, but there's gotta be a better way - plenty of bikes with clipons out that that do give you that flexibility...

Guest Goosechef
I can't believe I going to try this, but will give it a try tonight.

Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed.

Have a towel or something to protect your bike, once the levers are off they become dangerous. Remember my first note, when you go after the throttle, tip up the tank and relax the top throttle cable a bit, that holds the cable on the bar. Don't forget to put it back. It could be a good thing, mine was ready to get tightened.

Enjoy.

• Member Contributer

So what's your quantifiable net result (from where they were to where they are in inches or cm's)? What does that do to your grip? Change the feel in your hand at all?

Seems like someone could make a piece that could go under the bar, like a really thick washer, with a slot for the bar tab and a tab to go where the bar tab used to go on the tree. Just a thought.

Thats what the Genmar riser is basically.

• Member Contributer
Seems like someone could make a piece that could go under the bar, like a really thick washer, with a slot for the bar tab and a tab to go where the bar tab used to go on the tree. Just a thought.

yes, and maybe a circular object with rubber on it that spins on an axis to allow the machine to easily roll forward. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Yes, but not for reversed bars. Maybe they should offer a reverse bar model.

• Member Contributer

Before I made my bars, I thought of doing this. IIRC, you should get 3/4-1" of rearward movement, but no change in height, except for raising the bars which you can do anyway.

The (usual) throttle side upright casting has a big groove in it for the brake switch. I assume you have the M/C rotated up so the switch will clear the casting. Have you noticed the difference in brake lever position?

Can't beat the price!

Glenn

gallery_14359_4876_487632.jpg

Handlebar reversed, cheap mod Here's a shot of the end result of my discount mod. Just switched the left/right bars

Guest Goosechef
Okay, I'm following your explanation, but those bars pictured don't look to have any cant backwards. And what kind of bars are they? I couldn't figure out by your first post.

They are stock bars off an 04. From the factory they have a push forward. If you look at the picture, the side closest to the rider was the front, it had a straight look, and the new front side shows the taper/push. In the end the hight is about the same, with the same amount of flexibility, but the rearward movement is an inch or so, as measured with a Wink Eyecrometer. I have had to grind off some metal to recreate the groove for the break light wires and to give the fluid reservoirs some room. I needed to roll the levers a little more than they would fit at first. In the end, there is a noticable difference in the weight on my hands, and the cramping issue is releived.

Guest pserve
They are stock bars off an 04. From the factory they have a push forward. If you look at the picture, the side closest to the rider was the front, it had a straight look, and the new front side shows the taper/push. In the end the hight is about the same, with the same amount of flexibility, but the rearward movement is an inch or so, as measured with a Wink Eyecrometer. I have had to grind off some metal to recreate the groove for the break light wires and to give the fluid reservoirs some room. I needed to roll the levers a little more than they would fit at first. In the end, there is a noticable difference in the weight on my hands, and the cramping issue is releived.

Ah, so some grinding was necessary... That's probably why I never pursued it. It sure sound like you're happy with it, though. I will need to reconsider.

Guest Goosechef

Follow-up report on this experiment. I put a good ride on the new set-up today, a hills run I have done before. I usually would have pain in my wrists about halfway through the lap. Today was a delight because there was no cramping, at all!! I had to do more grinding on teh bars to get the levers to roll forward into a position I liked, but thats no big deal.

So, if you are thinking of getting an aftermarket bar riser this may be something you like to try. In the end, it gives you what I suspect is the same results, because there is no more room to move back with the hydraulics and electrics.

Let me know if you try it.

Chef