Brake Pad Replacement

Guest fastherb

Guest fastherb

Problem 1-- joined today and can't figure out how to post a question ?????

If this is the way...here is the question.. 1999 VFR800, Needs new front pads, manual simply says not to remove caliper, take out lower pin and pads drop right out ok so far. Question: just how does one push the pistons back in to permit space for new full thickness pads ? In detail please as I am concered that their is very little space here and want to be sure I don't damage pistons and get them back in flush.

fastherb8@yahoo.com

Welcome to a great site.

Please look under the forums/motorcycle maintenance/maintenance guides.

There are many detailed maintenance posts including a piece on the replacement

of pads. Photos are included.

Again.

Welcome.

Danny

Problem 1-- joined today and can't figure out how to post a question ?????

If this is the way...here is the question.. 1999 VFR800, Needs new front pads, manual simply says not to remove caliper, take out lower pin and pads drop right out ok so far. Question: just how does one push the pistons back in to permit space for new full thickness pads ? In detail please as I am concered that their is very little space here and want to be sure I don't damage pistons and get them back in flush.

fastherb8@yahoo.com

• Member Contributer
your brake pads dont exist without a photo and your bike dosent exist unless it is flat black.

This is an answer ???

Don't worry about him. We like to have some fun as well as answering questions, though.

• Member Contributer
your brake pads dont exist without a photo and your bike dosent exist unless it is flat black.

This is an answer ???

You'll love him, don't worry. A common joke on here is that if there's no photo, it never happened. And welcome to a great site!

For your brake question, here's one place to start: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...;showarticle=48

For bleeding brakes, here's another: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...;showarticle=53

I always pull the calipers off the fork by just unbolting the caliper brackets (2 bolts either side). Much easier to push each of the three pistons back in that way and arrange the new pads in place. To push all three pistons back in by pressing the caliper against the rotor takes a LOT of force, more than I am willing to exert on mine.

• 3 months later...

I just did the brakes on my 03, and while it's possible to do it without taking the calipers off, it's only 2 bolts on each side to take the calipers off and I thought it made it much easier. I can't imagine the 1999 would be that much more difficult to get the calipers off. It just makes it so much easier to push the pistons back in.

When you're ready to push the pistons back in, you can open the master cylinder top -- the pressure has to go somewhere.

I can't imagine the 1999 would be that much more difficult to get the calipers off. It just makes it so much easier to push the pistons back in.

It isn't if you push the pistons back in with the old pads still in place.

• Member Contributer

STOP before going any further. The pistons, in all likelihood are quite dirty with grit on the exposed portions. If you push them back before cleaning them, there is a strong possibility you will ruin the very small "O" ring seals that hold the fluid back.

Step one is to throughly clean the pistons before pushing them back. You can even use brake fluid to do this but be careful not to get it on a painted surface.

I take a piece of cloth and get it around the pistons and buff them like I was shining shoes.

Try not to use a harsh chemical. I used Brake Kleen years ago when the formula was still nasty. I think the EPA has put some restrictions on since then but it killed the "O" rings and they needed to be replaced.

As crude as it sounds, you can use a pry tool or even large channel locks to squeeze the pistons back if you are careful. If you have added brake fluid to the master cylinder, be careful it doesn't overflow or hydraulic lock if the top is still on when you push the pistons back.

The most important thing is this: No pictures, it didn't happen. :fing02:

There is a few diffirent ways to do it. I wouldnt worry about dirt entering the piston bore if the boots are in good shape.

The official manual says to just push aginst the caliper in the direction that will allow the piston to receed into the bore. No tools needed. Unbolt the calipers and clean the slide's and pin's.

If you use any tool push against the old brake pad.

This is an answer ???

Don't worry about him. We like to have some fun as well as answering questions, though.

I would say he's harmless but he's packing heat.

Buy a can of spray brake/contact cleaner, you will use it for lots of things. You can use that to clean up the calipers and pistons and don't forget to wipe down your rotors with the brake cleaner after you finish in order to get all the oils from your fingers and the grease and dirt off the rotors. Then, be careful on your first stop.

There is a few diffirent ways to do it. I wouldnt worry about dirt entering the piston bore if the boots are in good shape.

The official manual says to just push aginst the caliper in the direction that will allow the piston to receed into the bore. No tools needed. Unbolt the calipers and clean the slide's and pin's.

If you use any tool push against the old brake pad.

+1.gif

Just like Mr. Honda's grandson said. Only thing I would add is that you don't try "prying" the pistons back in as much as using a very large blade screw driver and twisting it so it presses against both pads simultaneously. Keep an eye on your brake fluid level after you've done this whole procedure. If you have had to add fluid over the past to take up the volume slack in the brake system due to the pads wearing, you may have too much fluid in your master cylinder now.

Archived