-1 Front, +2 Rear

panamawing

Question

• Member Contributer

I know this mod effects the mph reading and your rpms will increase at the same speeds over the stock sprockets, but is there any change on the odometer? How accurate or inaccurate is the mileage reading over stock. I have tried the -1 in the front for the last six months, I really like this mod, and am currently experiencing the -1+2. For the first 500 miles I would give this a :cool:

9 answers to this question

I know this mod effects the mph reading and your rpms will increase at the same speeds over the stock sprockets, but is there any change on the odometer? How accurate or inaccurate is the mileage reading over stock. I have tried the -1 in the front for the last six months, I really like this mod, and am currently experiencing the -1+2. For the first 500 miles I would give this a :cool:

you're off by about 18%

-1/+2 threw my speedo off so that a 17.5% change was needed to get it straightened out. Now the odo reads low. The odometer and speedometer get their info from the same source...if on is off by 18%, so is the other. I can live with the speedometer being a little off, as soon as I can get off my lazy but and do it I'm going to set the speedohealer to correct the odometer, not the speedometer.

• Member Contributer

I try no to think, when I don't have too. (Told I think too much, anyway,........sometimes,.....it hurts. Then there's the smoke and it smells like something is burning). I was gonna put it 18% also, (Rounding up puts the odo., closer to being on).

• Member Contributer

If you don't already have a GPS, get an inexpensive ($150.00+/-) Garmin Nuvi and use it as a speedometer and odometer (extremely accurate). As a bonus, it's also a GPS of course. I've been using my Nuvi 680 for a year now, and it's been rained on plenty and just keeps on ticking. Not as full-featured as a Zumo, but good enough.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the great replies. As always, this site provides a wealth of experience and information! 18% error on the speedo and odometer would be easy to deal with if i rode all the time in the tight twisties! But with most of my riding here in flatland, straight roads nebraska commuting to work and back 30 miles each way, i believe the best chain and sprocket mod for me is -1 in the front. Alittle more performance, alittle less mpg, slightly higher rpm, less speedo and odometer error with -1 in the front is a very positive compromise between stock and -1 front +2 rear.

• Member Contributer

The Speedohealer will correct both speedo and odo back to the factory original error. Very easy to install and set up.

Archived