No More Deadbutt

Guest spyder

Guest spyder

gallery_16508_4567_592708.jpg

On a previous post I had made a comment the stock seat on 06 VFR was a piece of dogsh*t. Would like the confirm that I was correct. Finished 1400 miles, 11 hours straight one particular day, on my Sargent seat with no signs of deadbutt. I know you young guys can ride for days straight without gluteal cramp but those with older posteriors appreciate a good seat. I have owned 2 corbins in the past. Corbins are a little cushier, but not any more comfortable. And the Sargent is much sportier looking particularly with the Techspec tank grips. The tank grips are useful in 2 ways. They really let you grip the tank in the twisties, but more importantly they allow you to grab the tank with your knees and take weight and pressure off of your wrists. I highly recommend both of these new additions.

I've always been curious about these aftermarket seats. To be honest, I really haven't found the stock seat that bad. I can easily do all-day rides and not be sore/tired. Maybe with the sargent seat i'd be able to ride in more comfort though. I have a tough time justifying the cost just to try it.

Congrats on the Iron butt! :biggrin:

the stock seat is good for around 100 miles before monkey butt and my Sargent is good for about 250 miles before monkey butt! :ph34r:

Did you have the corbin too, I use a cushion setup in the stock seat, its unbarable without it. I think the larger butts can absorb more stress. I rode the stock seat about 20,000 mile before enough was enough, now over 60,000 I still yearn for a new seat. Is the sargent lower than the stock seat ?

Its the square edges to me on the stock seat thats killer , if they eliminated those and built up the front alittle with some good foam, it would be a fine seat.

Guest spyder

The Sargent is a little flatter than the stock seat. But I think the difference is more about the padding of the seat. Maybe it breaths better. I don't really understand what makes a better more comfortable seat but obviously Sargent and Corbin understand. Some people have problems with sweat and chafing but I don't have that problem. My butt just goes numb with a bad seat, probably due to decreased blood flow. I would actually have to get off the bike and walk around just to get blood flow back. Obviously if my position is shifting there is no problem. I'm referring to sitting hours at a time in the same position. Maybe a vibrating or massaging seat would help in extreme cases. However, my 48 year old butt is very happy with current setup.

• Member Contributer
gallery_16508_4567_592708.jpg

On a previous post I had made a comment the stock seat on 06 VFR was a piece of dogsh*t. Would like the confirm that I was correct. Finished 1400 miles, 11 hours straight one particular day, on my Sargent seat with no signs of deadbutt. I know you young guys can ride for days straight without gluteal cramp but those with older posteriors appreciate a good seat. I have owned 2 corbins in the past. Corbins are a little cushier, but not any more comfortable. And the Sargent is much sportier looking particularly with the Techspec tank grips. The tank grips are useful in 2 ways. They really let you grip the tank in the twisties, but more importantly they allow you to grab the tank with your knees and take weight and pressure off of your wrists. I highly recommend both of these new additions.

Good deal and sweet looking bike. :biggrin:

Guest Yosh70

The Sargent seat is pretty well known around here to be THE seat for a VFR....thats a given.

OTOH, I have to call BS on your trip....1400 miles in 11 hrs? Thats about 130 mph for 11 hrs. Sorry, doesnt fly with me.

How bout 400 miles in 11 hrs? Sounds more reasonable.

• Member Contributer
Finished 1400 miles, 11 hours straight one particular day, on my Sargent seat with no signs of deadbutt.

I'm pretty sure he means 1400 mile trip. One of those days with 11 hours in the saddle. Not 1400 miles in 11 hours.

Guest jeffy

IMO: The stock seat is for a generic "Butt" fit...I resolved the issue by rebuilding the seat at a local custom seat builder...He increased the density of the centre cap foam and narrowed the nose of the seat..I now can ride from fuel stop to fuel stop without the wretched numbness or Monkey butt issues..The rebuild cost approx. 200.00 (Cdn.) and IMO worth every penny...The butt's worth it!!!!!!

Take care :laugh:

• 2 years later...
Guest TripleH

The Sargent seat is pretty well known around here to be THE seat for a VFR....thats a given.

WOW, Thanks, I was just searching for that kind of info

I contacted Sargent this morning, a very, very nice guy Paul has been emailing me back and forth

I never ride with a passenger, and always have my seat cowl on

Paul confirmed Sargent will indeed sell me just the front seat section, so the space where the back seat section will be empty, making the space under the cowl a little storage space.

The front only, with no extra options is only $234.95 + shipping

And they are dropping into USPS samples of all the materilas so I can choose if I want the basic material, or spend an extra $20 for one of the upgraded vinyls

VFR8WSb.jpg

• Member Contributer

I never had a problem with the stock seat. Repeated 500+ days and no sigh of sore-butt. I bought a Sargent from a VFRDer just because everyone liked them. No real difference to my butt.

Did you have the corbin too, I use a cushion setup in the stock seat, its unbarable without it. I think the larger butts can absorb more stress. I rode the stock seat about 20,000 mile before enough was enough, now over 60,000 I still yearn for a new seat. Is the sargent lower than the stock seat ?

Its the square edges to me on the stock seat thats killer , if they eliminated those and built up the front alittle with some good foam, it would be a fine seat.

You can take your seat and have them(local upholstery shop) add some padding to the front and shave the corners off the edge. As long as that's the only discomfort.

• Member Contributer

Sargent here ... and love it! Would say that it is actually firmer and flatter than stock. Took several hundred miles for it to form where my legs go at the front end of the seat when standing (at cushion "edges" that rounded and deformed with wear). Passenger prefers it too.